1960A vs 1960B

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BenjaminW, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Go for B and look on local classifieds they are hard to sell and people usually sell them when downsizing. Like I did. So just hunt craiglist and such you can dictate terms when buying a 4x12

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Pretty muich that too. I had to keep dropping down the price on the cabs I sold because no one was biting.

3. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I prefer A/slant cabs. In my experience with straight cabs, they are too directional. When I'm dialing in the amp, the straight sounds killer and really thick and full sounding. But that's because I was standing next to it with my ears high above the cab. When I then step out in front of the cab by several feet, I get blasted by all the treble and presence that I didn't realize was there and it sounds awful. Of course you can dial that back, but if you end up standing near the cab while playing, it sounds muffled.

The slant cabs sound about the same as the straight cabs to a listener several feet in front of them, but the slant is much more consistent sounding when closer to the cab. YMMV.

4. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Same experience. I used to love straight cabs but now I only buy slanted 4x12’s and straight 2x12’s. If I was playing on big stages and mic’ing up the cab 100% of the time I wouldn’t care but for all-purpose use I prefer a slant cab. I find them easier to dial in and because of that better sounding. I also like how they seem to fill a room better. I don’t know the science behind it but from experience if I’m playing with a drummer I can hear myself much better with a slant especially if the ceiling is a standard height.

As far as 1960A’s go, I have a JCM800 badged one with G12T’s and it’s incredible with some volume going through it. I get compliments on it and had one guy go out cab shopping after hearing it. Just turn up the volume and mid knob with those speakers.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Spinedriver likes this.
  5. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I have a 1960B but I've played 1960As and they aren't bad. But the 1960B is better to me. Maybe it's about speaker direction but I do believe that it sounds "beefier"

6. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

They are essentially the same cab. The 1960a is the more rehearsal friendly as it has a top cutout and you can hear some of it. The other one would sound great if you have ears on your legs.

7. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I have both. The B does sound a bit thicker, and more thump on the palm mutes (i tested this sitting on my ass right in front of both cabs, so it's not just the fact the A points a couple speakers at your face when you're standing).

8. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

They're both cool, i like the B's better for aesthetic reasons. I would get an AV or BV though, but that's just because i like the combo 2203 + V30 speakers the best. It will still sound great with a regular 1960A or B though, they're probably a bit cheaper and a lot more common.

9. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Pretty much what I’m looking to get tone wise. I’ll do some more research on speakers and some of the other Marshall 1960 cabs like the vintage and what not.

10. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I had a similar thing happen years ago when I had mine. I was in our jam spot and one of the guys from another band in one of the adjoining rooms popped in and he didn't believe me when I told him the cab had 12T-75s in it. He even got me to take the back off to double check.

Funny thing is that he's the very definition of a 'tone snob' in that he's ALL about 'hand made' amps, pedals, pickups, etc... and he couldn't believe that a stock JCM800 cab sounded that good. So much so that he even asked if he could borrow it for when his band was going to be doing some recording.

11. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

The V30 has been around since '86, so would qualify for an '80s rig depending on what you want.

But yeah, I've been able to work with most of the common Celestions I've used. The T75 works well for a nice bright, crunching tone. I've had trouble getting them to do dark and smooth particularly well, so maybe not super flexible, but they work well within their scope for sure.

12. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

:lol: I love it. I bought it as a cheap beater cab to bring to jams and leave places without worrying about someone stealing or damaging it and now it’s on my “do not sell” roster. It’s a cabinet you hear everywhere but it seems to come up last or not at all whenever someone is looking for a great sounding cab. As a bonus they’re cheap and there’s probably at least one listed in every county on Craigslist.

13. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It was back in '98 when I got mine used at a Long & McQuade in Vancouver for $350. I had a Valvestate VS100 head and was looking for a cab and couldn't believe that it was that cheap and all the speakers still worked. I still kinda/sorta regret selling it but even now, I really don't have the room for it, so hopefully whoever I sold it to is loving the hell out of it.

14. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Here's a little update for you guys.

As I'm writing this, I'm currently going through Celestion's website and checking out the audio samples of different speakers that I saw brought up in this thread plus a few others that caught my eye. The speakers that really speak to me (pun intended) are the G12T-75s. A few others I really like are the G12 EVH, G12 Lynchbacks, Blue, Classic Lead, and the Vintage 30.

I don't intend on switching out the speakers, but I feel like I should make myself aware of what other speakers are out there as well. Speaking of general amp mods, I should probably think about making a JCM 800 mod thread at some point.

15. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I love Celestion Hot 100s lately. Definitely worth a go.

BenjaminW likes this.
  16. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

400 watts is always better than 300 in a cab.

StevenC likes this.
  17. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

But have you heard greenbacks being pushed in a 100 watt cab :)

BenjaminW likes this.
  18. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I'd replace the speakers if I got one for free. Put some Legend V12's in it or something.

The only way it sounds good to me is if you crank it to where the speakers start to break up (like loud stage volume with 120w tube). Basically when the speakers break up the mids fill in with a little more saw/high intensity farting and it sounds more balanced.

19. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Not wrong. A 2203 pushing a greenback cab is also a good time. See: whores.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Jerry Cantrell and Scott Ian got badass tones with Greenbacks.

Just saying. :lol:

BenjaminW likes this.