14 string electric guitar ideas

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by ohmanthisiscool, Dec 18, 2017.

1. ohmanthisiscool

ohmanthisiscool SS.org Irregular

Hey guys, I've wanted to play a 14 string electric guitar for probably 12 years now, and I am finally in a place financially that I could probably make this happen. My question is who would you recommend for a luthier/company to build such an instrument? I am basically looking for an Ibanez RG style 7 string with the doubled octave strings like a 12 string electric. I know the guys from Korn had one made years ago as well as Head having a doubleneck 14/7. Another option would be to modify an existing guitar to accommodate the additional strings. Im no guitar builder or anything, just some general woodworking stuff, so nothing too crazy. Im just looking for suggestions on what would be a decent way to have such a guitar. I also don't want to go crazy on a custom in case I don't really dig the low B octave string, but I think it would be cool. Im even open to the idea of just getting a 12 string electric and tuning it down, but I would ideally like an actual 14 string. Thanks in advance.

2. Arshu123

Arshu123 SS.org Regular

Even though its a custom, i would highly recommend Waghorn Guitars in the UK. Their prices are unbelievably good and they don't use CNC so you can have anything you want. I'm sure you will open up to the Low B string in to too much time at all.

lewis likes this.
  3. ohmanthisiscool

ohmanthisiscool SS.org Irregular

Right on man, ill check them out.

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Aliexpress -
    yessss

The one time I was allowed to try one owned by one of their staff or whatever it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Quite weighty but super solid and the action was incredibly low!. Played super fast!.

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Check out Crimson Guitars in the UK. He has an amazing channel on Youtube. I suggest him because I know he's open to a lot of experimental projects, he's done some really crazy stuff and would know how to go about executing things. Some luthiers whilst they put out great work seem to not really think about what they are doing when presented with new ideas

coffeeflush, Walshy and ImBCRichBitch like this.
  6. Arshu123

Arshu123 SS.org Regular

Lol im 100% sure you played the macassar ebony topped mahogany corax haha. I played it too and agree with everything you just said, especially the weighty bit! That being said Waghorn is making some incredible guitars right now exeeding builders like daemoness, aristides and skervesen with only a year of waiting. Btw, dylan who is the owner of daemoness was taught luthiery by Tom waghorn of waghorn guitars. I have my 1st waghorn about to start building so you might want to follow that for a bit before making your descision;-)

Crimson are ok but i personally dont like their style and think it won't fit the feel of a 7 string neck that much. I think waghorn is THE way to go. But its your choice in the end...

Check out my thread and feel free to leave some comments: http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/custom-waghorn-ff7-build-thread.321798/

lewis likes this.
  7. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

Would this be for playing live? If you just want that sound for recording purposes you could multitrack a regular seven against a "nashville" 7. Record once with regular strings tuned E4 / B3 / G3 / D3 / A2 / E2 / B1 and then again with octave strings E4 / B3 / G4 / D4 / A3 / E3 / B2. All that said, any excuse for a new guitar is good enough, but playing with some strings from a set of .008's for your octaves and doing some multitracking would at least give you some of that doubled string flavor in the meantime.

8. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

odibrom and Winspear like this.
  9. Arshu123

Arshu123 SS.org Regular