12" vs. 10"

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by 8string, Aug 19, 2007.

1. 8string

8string Grande puta de gear! Contributor

Why is it that guitar players have to be the center of the universe and have bigger speakers in their cabinets than us bass players??

The bastards' got 12" and we only get 10" in our 4x configs. Now that I think about it, it's got to be some kind of penis-enlarger like a mercedes SLK or a lambo. :lol:

2. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

3. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

bass players have 8x10

4. 8string

Lawls:agreed:

5. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

I see your 15 " and raise you with a 2x12+15 guitar cab:

[​IMG]

6. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

Drool!!!!

7. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

I know.

8. knuckle_head

knuckle_head SS.org Regular

Keep in mind your/our 4x10 is as big a cab as their 4x12 - our speakers perform better.

For grins let your guitarist play through your bass rig - he'll ditch his in a heartbeat.

Then tell him turnabout is fair play and jack in to his.

:evil:

9. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

bass amps also generally come in huge wattages :agreed:

10. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

A lot of bassists mix 10" and 15" speakers, or sometimes just use 15" speakers exclusively. I'd guess 10" speakers are just better at getting a clear full-range sound since bass speakers are expected to act a bit differently than guitar speakers are.

Than again, I might just be talking out of my ass because I have no idea what I'm talking about.

11. Variant

Variant Banned

See, normally, as a sports car enthusiast who doesn't care if exotics impress women or not (which they unequivocally don't, BTW), I'd be inclined to repute this statement... but since I generally despise the two models you mentioned... um... well, carry on. :cool:

12. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

A 15" has the ability to move more air and generate deeper tones, far deeper than I imagine any guitar or bass would produce, I have a 12" sub that goes down to 18hz.

The 10" would be more responsive, have more punch and a cleaner sound, which I would think would be preferable for bass.

But this is just coming from a bloke who has designed and built car sound systems, I am just a noob when it comes to guitar, but in this area I imagine some of the theory is relevant.

13. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

They key with bass cabinets is that they're usually closed-back, tuned and ported. A 4x10 or 8x10 sounds absolutely monstrous and tight. A lot of guitar cabinets are just really poorly engineered from an audio perspective.

14. Loserchief

Loserchief Rokuban Taicho

12"s for bass kinda don't sound right for me. They aren't as responvie and clear as 10"s and don't have the lowend of 15". They just don't feel right.
    4x10 or maybe even 8x10 or 4x10+15 is killer.

15. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

my bass player used to haul around a tube SVT head, a 4x10, and a 1x15. he started leaving the 1x15 at home and hasn't lost much of his tone at all.

16. rummy

rummy maybe this year Contributor

Guitar speakers move differently than bass speakers. In order to make guitar frequencies project the best, I guess 12 inch speakers are it. However, on the bass, you'd be more focused on moving air rather than projecting frequencies. 4x10s can move air faster than 12s, so I think more bass players go for 410s, and often mated with a 1x15.

Also, it depends on the type of music you're playing, and what kind of sound you're after. I'm using two 1x12 Aguilar cabs, and they're plenty loud for me.

17. 8string

Can't believe the amount of serious replies I got on this, considering it was more of a joke on my part. If I posted something like this on meshforum the guys would have a field-day.

18. Popsyche

Popsyche Contributor

It has to do with the resonant frequency of the drivers involved, especially on guitar cabinets. The sealed 4x12" guitar speakers have a fairly high resonant frequncy that works well with the guitar range. Bass 4x10" are almost always ported, with the lowest frequencies coming out of the port. This acts like a driver with the combined cone area of the drivers involved, as the port doesn't care what configuration the drivers are. The tens also have a faster attack, and do require all of those extra watts.

Also, sealed back guitar cabinets can use a more efficient(lower wattage), higher compliance driver. You'll notice that open back cabs tend to have heavier coned speakers as the design will cancel out some of the extra bass generated by the lower resonant frequencies of the heavier drivers.

19. Ror3h

Ror3h SS.org Regular

Ahh but that's why we love meshforum....

We don't take many things seriously over there, it's great :D

20. 8string

True, I go here for serious answers :yesway: