12-68 gauge for SG and B

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Wakizashi, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Wakizashi

Wakizashi SS.org Regular

Hi guys, got faded finished Gibson recently and would like to strung this for B. I mainly play on Bass so feeling of guitar strings is little weird to me now a bit although i formerly started guitar like ten years ago.

SG came with 10s and seems like nothing. Years ago I had only 25,5" scale guitars and usually used 10-46 for E, but actually my first set for first guitar was 10-52 by Thomastik as seller suggested - quite a torture for noob back then, now probably not...

I might get a tip to get seven string set, where max is usually 60 or so, but need only coated ones as my hands sweat quite a bit and wanna have strings for long time. Because the short scale of SG I think that much cheaper Elixir set of 12-68 might work good, maybe someone know better. Found post of a dude with Explorer who use that 68 and being in D and Cis, but he uses Stringjoy. Thanks for opinions.

2. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

It's going to sound boomy and loose all sparkle/harmonics on the top end, but if you can get it intonated somewhat ok, it should be ok with gain. 68 strings just are total overkill for a 24.75" scale 6-string guitar. I wouldn't go over 60 gauge on such a guitar. It's just not made for it.

In general, I would rather recommend you start with a Daddario 10-59 seven string set and throw the 10 away. You then have a wound 3rd string which you should be able to intonate (the low E will be difficult, but often you cannot hear that as much). I had this set for C standard on a LesPaul and it should be fine for B as well.
    If that is a permanent setup you will also need to have the nut slots widened to accommodate the thick strings (helps with tuning stability).

Personally, I've decided to keep my 6-strings in normal tunings (E to D standard mainly) and use a 27" scale baritone for lower-tuned stuff. Sounds so much clearer. If you're anyway coming from a bass background, getting a 27" or 28" guitar (like the Ibanez Iron Label) might be a good idea idea looking forward (at some point in the future maybe). A bass player friend of mine always loved playing my baritone, because it felt closer to what he was used to.

Wakizashi and Wildebeest like this.
  3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

12-60 d'addario set.

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Firstly the difference between 25.5 and 24.75 is HUGELY exaggerated. The tension difference is like a half of a semitone - no big deal. In terms of string gauge that's like the difference between 10-46 and 10.3-47 - in other words - the scale length change does not justify a string gauge change.
    So anything that would be considered ok on 25.5 is ok on 24.75 - it's very strange that 24.75 has a reputation for being unsuitable for things that 25.5 would not have been shrugged at for.
    But yes - 68 is quite thick and dark on either scale length and is unnecessarily tight for either too.
    I would suggest the D'addario 13-62 baritone set - it's an exact extension of a 10-46 set (i.e would make perfect sense with a 10 on top for B standard on a 7 string). Great B set for either 25.5 or 24.75 if you like 10s in E! Try the above mentioned 12-60 if you're more of a 9's guy

5. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

I heard about a guy who put a Gibson in B standard once. Heard his body turned inside out. Heard he was forced to live in that agonizing pain. Heard it was a true story.
    That’s why I would never go below D on 24.75.” It will result in death or eternal suffering.

6. Bogner

Bogner Rock N' Roll Machine

That is a lot of string on an SG. A couple of things to also consider that may (or may not) be a problem is nut spacing, neck joint, headstock angle. A lot fo SG's have smaller necks so your string to string spacing may be cramped. Tuning stability (often nut related) will have to be addressed. Make sure you get a properly cut nut. It doesn't take much to wiggle an SG neck and get the pitch to change. Headstock angle with that string gauge and tension will be a fun formula if your guitar ever falls over. Be very careful.

Wakizashi likes this.
  7. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Would a 68 fit on those tuners? Don't forget to get a new nut or file accordingly. With those gauges, you will be slipping in and out of tune.

Wakizashi likes this.
  8. Wakizashi

Wakizashi SS.org Regular

Thanks all guys, will try to pursue Elixir 10-59 7string set then and give away the thinnest string.

Mathemagician likes this.
  9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I know Zak wylde had a set b/c he tuned to around B on a LP and I think they were like 13-60? Too lazy to check but a 68 is redonk imo.

10. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

I had a Faded Special once that I had tuned to A standard using a 12-62 set. I remember is resonating almost like an acoustic. Anyways, it's definitely "doable".

11. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

And that man was... Bill Steer of Carcass. It's a shame about the turning inside out thing, otherwise he may have gone on to be in a hugely influential death metal band.

xzacx, vilk and uni777 like this.
  12. uni777

uni777 SS.org Regular

Add to that Gorefest and all those bands who tuned to B on gibson scale BC Rich guitars.

13. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I felt 12-60 sounded too boomy and mushy for B when I tried them on two guitars with 24.75" scale. Might had to do with the pickups too even though I tried several pickup sets on one of the two. But it might work on your guitar and that depends on the pickups and overall sound of the instruments. No harm in trying though. Worst case you're out a pack of strings.

14. Xykhron

Xykhron SS.org Regular

I have been using D'addario .14-.68 set on my 6 string 24.75 and 25.5 scale guitars (C or B tuned, depend on the guitar and period of time) for over a decade and it's totally fine.
    It will depend on your amp settings and your pickup choice to have a boomy sound or not. I never had that problem as I fine tuned my sound with digital modellers to achieve what I was looking for., even when it took make a lot of time to get it.
    The benefits are a more dynamic sound and playing as you'll need to train your hand to pick harder in order to make the strings sound properly.

...And one of my band's othe guitar player goes farer to .74 on his Gibsons

15. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

I just did this. I wasn’t a fan. But, you kind of need to try it for yourself. Internet wisdom is great but I think this is one of those situations where you need to experiment and observe results firsthand. Mine is an 2019 SG tribute.

16. rikwebb

rikwebb SS.org Regular

There was a Dunlop Zakk Wylde set that was 10-60 (10,13,17,36,52,60) pretty sure i tried a set out at one point. GHS do a 11-70 Zakk set too (11,14,18,36,52,70)