100 watt into 1x12

danresn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys, a while ago I bought a Marshall JVM410H (100 watt) and scored as an add on a 1960A cab. I was looking for a great deal but I got both for $1300 (Head $1100 and cab $200), at my local store in Australia the same combo is $4100 brand new so I had to take the deal. Anyway the cab is quite large for my house and I am looking to get a 1x12 for just my bedroom and leave the cab at the practice space. I only play very quietly so I was wondering the implications of using a quiet 100 watt amp into a 1x12 rated lower than the head.

Thoughts?

Sparkplug

What?
Reaction score

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
If you go 1x12 I would get nothing less then a 75 watt speaker... And then deff don't crank up the volume.

protest

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Unfortunately you live in Australia, but you could keep an eye out for an old Mesa Thiele cab with the 200w EVM12l speaker. Or if you already have a 1x12, just buy the speaker. First thing I would check though would be to see if you can pull the tubes and run it at 50w.

danresn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
there is another thread about a 180w amp and a 120w cab, that might contain some good answers for you. You can find it here. There are some guys who say that it will be no problem as long as you do not crank up the volume poti more than 7 or 8 o'clock but you may should consider a 2x12 instead of a 1x12 if you want to be save.

EDIT: Link is not working. try this one: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/beginners-faq/286801-power-amp-watts-vs-speaker-watts.html :lol:

Thanks, I did a couple searches but I guess I'm not good looking for keywords. I'm not considering getting the volume pot any louder than 2-3 so that shouldn't be an issue.

I also have no idea about pulling the power tubes, I hadn't even considered it. I'll have to investigate.

Thanks guys

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
You could rock an Eminence Texas Heat @ 150 watts with no issues, plus they sound pretty good.

I like V30's which are 60 watts, and I wouldn't think twice about running a 100w head through one, just don't dime the volume.

GoldDragon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just rewire the cab. If the 1960 has stereo wiring, just run one side and disconnect one of the speakers so there is only one speaker connected.

The head will have something to sit on and you will have a 412 in case you need to play out.

Or you could just run one side if its stereo. No need to buy another cab. Make sure you run the right impedance. I think most stereo cabs have two 16ohms run parallel (which makes it 8 Ohms per side), so if you disconnect one speaker, it will be a single 16Ohm speaker.

If you just run one side unmodified it will be 8Ohms. With a 16 Ohm speaker you should not have to worry about the impedance setting on your amp if it doesnt have a switch.

When you combine the two 8Ohm stereo sides in mono, it is done in series so you end up with a 16Ohm cab from four 16Ohm speakers.

Those are 75 watt speakers and you will not have any problems unless you crank it to max volume. If you want insurance, pull a pair of tubes and run half wattage. (if the marshall can do this.)

BTW, the Celestion 75 in that cab has low sensitivity so its a good choice for lower volume applications - you will get more power tube saturation earlier. Dont buy a high sensitivity speaker if you go down that path. It will actually be louder at equivalent wattage.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
You'll have no issues with a 1x12 as long as you don't push the amp harder than the speaker can handle. A 75 watt speaker to match the ones in the 1960 would handle the amp at around 7, which is ear-splitting anyway :lol: a 60 watt V30 would be great too!

Personally, I'd go with a 2x12 and turn it on its side. Same floor space as a 1x12 with the added punch of another speaker/more air/bigger enclosure, plus projection closer to a 4x12 since it would be sitting almost as tall as one. I did that with my Recto 2x12 for a while and it was great for everything from bedroom playing to band practice and could have handled a live setting no problem.

ctgblue

finally got seven
Reaction score
At home volumes, you'll never push more than 1-5 watts. Don't worry about it.
My Laney IRT Studio, on the one watt input, was too loud to go past 9 oclock.
I never get the watts control on the IRT30 past the 8 oclock range.

Metaldestroyerdennis

Heavens Football Bat
Reaction score
Delta Pro 12a

or EVM12L if you're loaded

Pretty much any speaker will do it for you if you are just practicing, the above suggestions are only if you want to use the full 100w through a 12" speaker

ambler3

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's perfectly doable :) in my 1x12 (the bottom half of what was a 6505+ combo) I have a Eminence legend 120W. only cost me £50 as well

danresn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just rewire the cab. If the 1960 has stereo wiring, just run one side and disconnect one of the speakers so there is only one speaker connected.

The head will have something to sit on and you will have a 412 in case you need to play out.

I'm not looking at selling my cab unless it's for a 2x12, I am looking for a 1x12 to leave at home and to leave my 4x12. I want the small cab to save space, my head currently lives on top of my bass amp and cab as I play bass in my band.

thrashcomics

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I run my 100 watt Archon into an EVM loaded Thiele and it is crushing, I have no need for a 412.