1 riff, 22 amps! (and 3 modelers...)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Guitarjon, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Man, this one was fun!

The idea here was to take one of my favorite guitars, create a cool riff (which turned into a bunch of riffs) and reamp it through all my tube amp heads as well as 3 of the most popular amp modelers. A Lot of these amps turned out super nice! Some of the best ones were a little surprising to me actually (the JMP1 being one of them) but I expect the results to be different for everyone.

There are amps in this from the following brands: Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Orange, EVH, Peavey, Hughes & Kettner, PRS and Laney. These amp modeling platforms are also included as a bonus: Axe Fx III, Helix and TH-U Slate edition.

Of course I would love to know which ones you guys preferred! So far everyone has had a different opinion which is pretty interesting to me!

Check it out:

2. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I liked the Marshall DSL50 a lot.

Guitarjon likes this.
  3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Amazing video!! Going to be watching this a lot!

Yeah I really really dug the JMP as well, especially in comparison to the DSL, which I thought was a bit of a let-down.

Guitarjon likes this.
  4. Ozzfest

Ozzfest SS.org Regular

Keep up the great videos man!

Guitarjon likes this.
  5. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Interesting! It's definitely one of the most vintage sounding amps of the bunch and it really has a unique character when compared to the others.

Yeah, the midrange presence and attack is really nice on that JMP1. It does sound quite different to the DSL as you also said. The poweramp does work very nicely with the JMP1 and I need that deep switch!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Standouts:
    OR15 sounded better than any other Orange (Hinds Terror sounded wack though like wtf)
    JMP1
    I liked the Badonk more than the real Recto idk why

Guitarjon likes this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Hows the JMP1 in person compare to the Axe model? The Axe model sounded kinda disappointing even though every recording I've heard of the JMP1 sounds killer.

Don't let the Badonk fool you. Just because it's a L6 model doesn't mean it's based on the old Big Bottom. It sounds muuuuch better in my experience.

Guitarjon likes this.
  8. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

The OR15 is pretty cool! It's a little bit scooped and more fizzy than most of the other Oranges but it does 'that Orange sound' very well. As far as the Oranges go, I think I preferred the Dual Terror because it sits so nicely in the mix.
    The JMP1 is amazing indeed!
    Man, Helix and especially Badonk don't mess around! I really love that amp model. It does everything I need it to do. Gotta be carefull with the bass and resonance controls though!

The Axe model doesn't have the same feel or sound as mine BUT I think the DSL 50 power amp plays a pretty bit part in it. This pretty much has to do with the 'deep' switch on the DSL which fills out the low-end very nicely. The presence control also helps! If I'm very honest, since I own all these amps I've started to like the Axe Fx III's amp modeling less. It just always sounds a bit too clacky and not full/warm enough in the mids. Helix on the other hand is pretty darn good at those things. Just my personal 2 cents though.

9. FifthCircleSquared

FifthCircleSquared Threadender

This was really cool!

Honestly all of the amps sounded great - What got me was how well the lunchboxes kept up in the mix compared to their bigger brothers. Did they sound different? Slightly, but they sit in a mix nicely.

odibrom and Guitarjon like this.
  10. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Awesome! Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

The lunchbox amps are pretty killer and they totally sit in the mix well. They tend to have less of those resonant low thumps which can be very beneficial for a mix. Make no mistake though, especially the higher wattage EL84 amps such as the Grandmeister Deluxe 40 can have HUGE lows.

FifthCircleSquared likes this.
  11. odibrom

odibrom .

That Ibanez RG7** in white is awesome... if you're willing to part with it, ring me a bell, I'm in EU/euro zone so it won't travel far... Although we're in the autumn, it's warmer che moi... this to say that she'll be cherished. :D

I heard this video with my Laney theatre TM200P powered speakers, all the amps sounded pretty damn good. Most with slightly different in the EQ feel. My experience with different amps is that I tend to dial them in to sound similar to each other, within their possibilities and I think they can get to the same ball park. The real difference lies when one is testing them out, recorded, they're all cool, testing them out is where one really finds the different takes on tone by all these brands... this and the cab also plays a huge role in the overall tone. Modelers also did well, I guess that in a blind fold test I'd miss most if not all.

For some reason, Orange amps don't ring my bells... I've tried some a few years back (and were not any of the lunch box models) and they simply didn't move me.

Guitarjon likes this.
  12. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Haha I really dig that guitar so I won't be selling it any time soon. Aren't they still for sale?
    The Orange amps aren't for everyone but I really dig how they sit in the mix. Kind of similar to a recto but with more mids, which is good in this case.

odibrom likes this.
  13. odibrom

odibrom .

@Guitarjon that finish was a small/special run I think, not available at the moment.

Orange amps may sit in the mix well, I just didn't mix with the ones I played, kind of felt hard to dial them in to my tastes. May have been due to lots of different factors and not the amp itself, like not my guitar, an unbroken in cab or what ever... I guess that I'm just a Mesa Mark series kind of guy, who cares, it's all rock'n'roll! Please, keep doing these videos, they're cool and sound good.

Guitarjon likes this.
  14. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Apparently no speakers were harmed in this video.

I guess you should call this "How to get the same tone out of 15 disparate amps".

IMO the H&K was the biggest surprise, also the Mesa stuff seemed to have an extra depth that the others didn't. A nice plug for Ownhammer I guess, don't see what else to say on this as these amps weren't played with their intended cabs.

gabito and MoJoToJo like this.
  15. HeHasTheJazzHands

Got some tone deaf people in this forum. :lol: They all sounded very different IMO, and in line with the tonal qualities each amp is known to have.

xiwiwix, XPT707FX and Guitarjon like this.
  16. Choop

Choop n______n

This makes me miss my old JMP-1! Also really surprised that I actually liked the EVH 5150III in this--I'm usually generally more in favor of the regular 5150 vs the III, but maybe it's the EL34 model that's making the difference here. Sounds great!

Guitarjon likes this.
  17. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Nah, I think the differences were splitting hairs. I'm listening on some big Genelecs here too so it's not an issue with ears or output devices.

I would expect the differences to be more dramatic when playing through a real cab in the room with no load boxes and IRs involved.

18. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It's funny you say that. Jim Root did a Rig Rundown a little while ago and he said basically the same thing. He said that more or less, Orange wouldn't normally be his first choice for an amp to use but in the context of trying to find his place in the mix with 8 other musicians, the Rockerverb amp blends in at just the right spot. At the time of filming, he had just gotten a new Friedman head, so I don't know if he now uses that instead but apparently he has been with Orange for quite some time now.

AkiraSpectrum and Guitarjon like this.
  19. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I find it's the same when I use a modeler/vst. If I use the same guitar and cab (ir), although there are differences in where some of the frequencies are centered (ie: some amps are darker or brighter than others), they generally sound pretty similar.
    At the same time however, some people might find that those differences that I consider to be 'minor', might be pretty huge when taken in context.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

In my experience the cab influences the tone more than a different amp would in the same cab. :shrug: like I said this sounds in line with how I'd find different amps would sound in the same cab. At least in a mic'd up setting, so it IMO wouldn't make a difference if an IR was used or a mic'd cab.

Spinedriver and Guitarjon like this.