≈$1k Metal Gig Setup

verge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The answer is a 2x12 and a good head. Avatar is a great choice, and that leaves you plenty of good head choices, from 25-50 watts. For metal, higher wattage is recommended so the chug parts don't get flubby and sloppy.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I actually forgot about the Iconic combo.

If you bought a used iconic, I definitely recommend swapping the speaker. I found the Iconic speaker to be a little dead sounding for my ears.

Also, don’t rule out a solid state option. I quite like the Randall RG1003 and the other models from that era/series, especially when I was testing it with a Jason Richardson 7. They can be had for much cheaper than some other gig ready options.

Last edited:

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As an alternative option to the EVH 5150 iconic, I 'd also check out the Solid state head Orange super crush 100... Tons of gain, tube-like sound, vfm brand new, with a 2x12 cab you'll be heard definitely 😁
PRS Archon 50 combo is a nice choice too for a powerfull tube amp...

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wanted an iconic but nowhere had them in stock, the local music store stocks EVH and had zero amps. What they did have was an MT15 and the archon 50 head and combo.

MT15 just didn't quite do it for me but they had 15% off storewide this week. I now have an Archon 50 combo for about 900 bucks. Thing slaps and is loud as hell. Originally I wanted to go DSL100/5150/6505 but I simply couldn't find a decent cab and stay close to the figure. The Archon does the sound, cranks, and does everything I need. Snagged an EQD plumes too since they were 20% off to get some more compression and cut as well.

Thanks for the input guys, I know some people had mentioned it but I appreciate all the help.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A little late, and OP already sorted things out, but really, it's 2022, grab literally anything that's big enough to power just about whatever 4x12 you can find for cheap and feed whatever $200 to $300 distortion/amp-in-a-box pedal you can find into it.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So many tube head suggestions, for something different, how about a 2 rackspace poweramp like a Crown or QSC or something, an old POD Pro, POD HD, PODXT, etc... rack preamp and a 412? That stuff is all very cheap these days and would also cover any extra boosts, gate, and EQ you need.

ctgblue

finally got seven
Reaction score
Behringer 2x12 + DSL50, should come in under $1000 easy. The cabs are harder to find, but super lightweight and handle 180watts. I've had them several times and they can hold up in an outdoor venue with a heavy footed drummer.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Update, just played the first show. Holy shit that thing is loud, I need a noise gate if I want to boost it else it screams so loud people wanna die.

Signal chain was Schecter A7 (Duncan nazgul), EQD plumes, archon. The plumes just turns what is a smooth wall of sound into a pissed off mess. I'll be posting the video hopefully, not insane playing since we got like 10 minutes of rehearsal and had to make changes to the song but we had the whole crowd up out of the seats.

Definitely looking forward to the next few shows with the amp.

Lionsblood79

Swimmin with bowlegged women
Reaction score
6505+ combo, spend the rest on horizon drive and a new speaker. You'll be heard and cut through and also just chug city, man. I'm sure you've been there, it's a good place.
"Take me down to CHUG CITY, where the tones aren't clean and the riffs are gritty, oh wont you please take me home yeayeah" 😂

Rex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bluguitar amp Iridium and a Harley benton V30 2x12 or similar, done. Great sound and you can move your gear without any problem.

BabUShka

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I dont know how the prices are on the other side of the pond.. but at in europe Thoman had some great deals on Framus cabs. I bought my FR 212 V30 can for like $200 used. It has been with me for a while. I use it with my JVM - love it.