Zimbabwe

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by 7 Dying Trees, Jun 24, 2008.

1. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Seriously, of all the things that are wrong with the world, if goverments can invade middle eastern countries under the pretext of liberation, then it's just them exposing themselves as the true hypocrites they are for not trying to do more about this country. It's an utter abuse, disgrace, and is just getting more and more sickening by the day.

It just makes me feel ashamed that nothing is getting done about this, while my taxes fund a war that has nothing to do with human compassion but is all about greed and a fight for natural resources.

:mad:

2. Matt Crooks

Matt Crooks User Contributor

Silly Brit. Iraq is all about compassion, and nothing to do with oil!

3. noodles

noodles Contributor

Are they white Christians? Do they have oil? No? Well, they're not important then.

4. Matt Crooks

Language NSFW:

The Dark Wolf likes this.
  5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Honestly, if someone would give me a sniper rifle, a plane ticket, and at least a 50-50 assurance of making it back alive, I'd assassinate Mugabe.

Random tidbit: the instability in Zimbabwe is playing hell with the international finance community, because the Zimbabwian exchange rate just passed over one million to one vs. the dollar and no one has currency exchange systems that will deal with more than seven figures. When things get that bad, you almost need a new word for it because "inflation" seems so mundane.

6. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

it's because nothing has been done since he's been in power, duh!

Live rates at 2008.06.24 15:51:49 UTC
    Notice: The ZWD rate shown below is the official rate. Actual available ZWD rates may vary significantly.
    Notice: The Zimbabwe government claims that a redenomination of the ZWD is imminent. More info (PDF)
    1.00 USD = 9,005,149,886.88 ZWD
    United States Dollars Zimbabwe Dollars
    1 USD = 9,005,149,886.88 ZWD 1 ZWD = 0.00000000011105 USD

holy shit...

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

It's a mess, dude. Seven figure exhange rates are the sort of thing you don't even build a contingency plan for because you sort of assume that the global financial system is stable enough that you'll never see it. Oops. :lol:

I've been getting daily updates from our pricing group on this - not many people hold Zimbabwian securities, and thankfully none of my clients do, but theres a lot of people here whose lives are going to hell because of this.

Of course, for perspective, none of us have a thing on the residents of Zimbabwe. :(

8. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

:eek: According to the statistic Jeff posted, it's a 10 figure exchange rate (9 billion to 1 dollar).

9. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

At least we can voice our opinions without being burnt alive, beaten to death, had our familes raped tortured and killed.

Just think what life would be like if that was the case if you decided to support Obama instead of the McCain/Bush.

It just really does make me increasingly sick.

10. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

Who says americans don't do sarcasm ;)

11. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

You know, I'd accept less chance of making it back alive as long as I could be guaranteed a 90% chance of getting the shot and it taking him out. However, my guess would be that unless the whole regime is taken out, that the loss of the figure head will do little to stem the corruption and abuse of power.

12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Naren - seven figures to the left of the decimal if you're going dollar > Zimbabwian currency is where I was going with that, and that's the issue that we've been having, we can't add the 7th digit to the left (and 8th soon enough, from the look).

James, honestly, you're not far off the truth. And I think Mugabe's execution (because, really, that's what it'd be) would probably tip off a civil war in the country, but honestly that may be an improvement over what we have now.

13. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Whoa.. just looked up some figures. Their inflation is estimated at 1.5 million %.... 1,500,000% inflation! I think of how bad 10% inflation would piss me off, but 1.5 mill %? That makes a loaf of bread about $7,000,000

14. Matt Crooks

That's why I'm voting Republican!

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol:

Honestly, the fact that we didn't (publically) lift our national prohibition on assassinating foriegn political and military leaders after 9/11 still blows my mind. It'd have been a way more effective flexing of our muscles at Islamic extremism than passing the Patriot Act and waging ineffective wars in Iraq and Afghanistan...

Tangentally, but of course we know that I think an assassination attempt on Mugabe is way overdue.

16. Mr. S

Mr. S tacos?

the whole situation over in Zimbabwe has infuriated me for years, its so bloody frustrating, of course the UK cant actively do anything without potential dire consequences, it could be used to the Zanu PF and Mugabe's advantage as he's been preaching about how it is infact the UK that has been destroying the Zimbabwean economy causing political unrest and the like for years now.

So if the 'ol colonial power came marching in now even under the guise of UN peacekeepers it could very much play into his hands and possibly gain him back the sympathy of many other African nations that he's manage to hold seemingly until recently when things really started getting out of hand and other African nations finally seemed to bring up a belated and seemingly (imo) lackluster objection to the Zanu PF's actions.

All this being said though I'd be the first in the line to let off a high calibre round in Mugabe's head, though likely this would cause worse consequences for the country as a whole maybe unless South Africa stepped in with some form of peace keeping force but theyre been pretty impotent on getting anything decisive done about the whole matter as it is, its just the guy gets my goat and i'd revel in seeing something horrible happen to him...

17. noodles

noodles Contributor

Harare woman: 'If you talk too much... they hunt you down' - CNN.com

:mad:

18. Blackrg

Blackrg SS.org Regular

There have long been rumours that Robert Mugabe has tertiary syphilis..which might explain some of the behaviour

19. noodles

noodles Contributor

You don't need an illness to explain the behavior of a petty African dictator. There is a long and glorious tradition of being a selfish, violent prick.

20. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

Also, why the hell would anyone want to grow a hitler tache?