Zacary guitar

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Mattmc74, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

:ugh:

:rofl:

:evil:

2. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

Written in the most primitive website-designer code ever devised!

3. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

4. yacker

yacker SS.org Regular

I was wondering when another thread about this guy would spring up. A lot of people got pretty upset when I recommended his string sets in a string thread a while back.

Funny you should mention this because I bought a few 7 string sets from him a while back (10 gauge and 11 gauge). I definitely got the impression that they were repackaged D'Addarios...they definitely sound like it and he obviously doesn't wind them himself. Overall my experience with him was positive, he was generally friendly over email, and shipped when he said he would and I got the strings sooner then expected.

Well, since he's so over protective he doesn't list his string gauges and I decided I was curious so I got my guitar tech to measure the strings with a caliper. Funny thing is, based upon his own progressive tension string theory (you know the one he invented) his sets are actually incorrect. I used both a string tension calculator and the D'Addario string tension charts on this site to see the tensions and they're kinda wacky. The 11 gauge set in completely flubbed up and the 10 gauge set is exactly the same as your stock 10 gauge string set except for the low E and low B, which are both heavier then normal.

I think it's worth mentioning that according to progressive tension the average 10 gauge set is also incorrect because the high E string has more tension then the B or G strings. So the high E string is the one thing that keeps his 10 gauge set from truly being the progressive tension he talks about...the rest is "correct".

Don't get me wrong though, I don't mean to bash the guy, he offers strings sets at a very reasonable price. Much better then I could get from juststrings.com. I really like the gauges of his 10 gauge set and will probably continue to use those gauges, but I'm not a d'addario fan so I'll probably just order special gauges of ernie ball or elixir strings.

He definitely has the overall attitude of a dick, but I have to say I love the first 7 string he built:

Line6 POD

8stringlover likes this.
  5. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

I must admit that I love and agree about his endorsement page, this is epic! :hbang::hbang::hbang:

:rofl: awesome!!!

6. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

he´s half-joking on most of the stuff though. he IS a complete dick, and he IS the most respectless and foul-mouthed ego-sentric cockwad luthier i´ve ever seen.

the whole deal with Apophis a while ago was just abysmal, and really showed what a fucker he is.

however, i wouldn´t take everything he writes as literal as some do. the whole "mission from god" thing is his analogy for "good and bad" guitars. i´m pretty sure he´s not a devout christian like that :lol:

i love how he does the little things like write the name of something he considers shit on the headline of each page... like, his 8 string page has "Gibson Les Paul Historic" as a headline :lol:

anyways, let´s have a look at this 8 string, shall we?

i have hree things to point out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oh yes, surely he is the originator of every single thing he oes, and a true creator! also, notice how he has the chance to put his name on the headstock, where there´s a HUGE FUCKING FREE SPACE in the middle, but no... he puts his "Z" logo on the very end of the headstock, and instead puts his name on the body, where it´s joined by his name on the pickups as well (not a bad thing in itself, but it´s a bit overkill!)

[​IMG]

look at the string ball-ends poking through there. no, don´t go out of your way to get BASS FERRULES, or even get ferrules that fit both (like Oni does)... no-one´s ever died from having those things poked into their hips while playing!

[​IMG]

i´m just waiting for that lowest string there to fall the fuck off that nut. look at it! it´s barely even SITTING on that thing! if he really wanted a "low" nut, he could´ve at least made it slanted, so it´s higher on the bass end, and gets lower towards the higher end, so that it follows the strings...

edit: i just had to add this funny little tidbit from his site:
    at first, you think "well, sure, people are really stuck up in traditions and stuff with how they buy strings and other gear"... but then you realize that he got that AS A REPLY from the guys in the music store. that means he must´ve said something about normal strings being wrong and shitty and stuff like that. not exactly the way you pitch a product, is it? the proper way would be to explain that it´s an option for those who want something more modern, and that it´s an improvement/extension of the old string sets. but no, this guy does the full head-on attack on how his shit is superior, and ends up losing a deal because of it :lol:

7. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

8. MF_Kitten

i mean, i´m sure they´re good instruments, but i wouldn´t be able to live with the fact that i paid lots of money for a proper cunt to make me something that he´s put everything into. i´d rather pay a luthier that i like and respect to do it. sure, an instrument is an instrument, but it´s like food. i´d rather eat something that was made with love, than something made with spitefulness...

9. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

You actually have a good point about marketing there when you mention its like good food...

I think that he does not realise and thinks that because he writes this stuff people actually think he is doing a great job writting that....

With all those nice words, his website was last updated November 18, 2007

10. phaeded0ut

phaeded0ut droooooneeeeeeeee!

:lol::lol::lol:

Classic!

8stringlover likes this.
  11. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

I got neg repped, I think he is actually on the forum :)

Did not even sign the neg rep :D

neg rep comment:
    :scratch:

Fixed :agreed:

Mattmc74 and 8stringlover like this.
  12. MF_Kitten

hah! i´m hoping it really is him, sending his little minions to us for some neg repping... i hope he (or his faithful minions) join the forum and add to the thread, that would be rich! :lol:

or maybe he´s chicken after the whole thing with roter? :lol:

8stringlover likes this.
  13. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

His designs are not even original - he straight style headstock and body shape are just rip-offs of Philip Kubicki's work, and he came up with that design in something like 1982!

Philip Kubicki: Factor Bass

8stringlover and Mattmc74 like this.
  14. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

:eek::eek: I was not even aware of those basses, wow!!!!

Mattmc74 likes this.
  15. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

The Flamed California redwood bass looks really nice. Philip Kubicki make some really nice looking stuff.

8stringlover and hufschmid like this.
  16. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

Yeah Kubicki are fantastic insturments. My Brother had a 1980s X-factor 4 string with the Detuner. Out of about 13 or 14 basses he has owned over the past few years, its definitely joint-first in terms of quality and tone with his Warwick Thumb.

Because Kubickis are very hi-fi sounding and 32" scale they are great for tapping and slap stuff, they have a kind of cult following with the virtuoso crowd. Stu Hamm (played bass on Vai's Passion and Warfare, along with a bunch of Satch records, and has been Satch's live bassist on a number of tours) was probably the biggest Kubicki name before Fender bought him up.

Here he is playing a song of his on one. Sorry about the poor quality, its from an 80s VHS. He recorded all of the bass on his first 3 albums exclusively with Kubicki X-factors, and some parts of "Outbound" I believe, even though he was contracted to play Fenders as his only live instrument by that point, and still is.

17. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

I love Kubickis! :) Shaun Malone recorded all the bass tracks on Cynic's 'Focus' with one as well.

18. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

:yesway: :shred:

19. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

The man himself is now on youtube :woot:

:yesway:

Dont forget you must first have his permission in order for him to sell you a guitar, because he wants to know if your a good enough to have the priviledge to play on his guitars :yesway:

Notice, his got more hair on this video :yesway:

20. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

So apparently, to be worthy to own one of his instruments, all you have to do is be able to play the same sloppy blues-rock drek featured in every Guitar World equipment demo ever?:rolleyes: