Youtube sued for 1 billion $$$ by Viacom.

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by playstopause, Mar 14, 2007.

1. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

2. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

This is actually going to be a big test case.

Of course, it's also a big smoke-blowing to raise Viacom's stock price, but...

3. noodles

noodles Contributor

I'd watch it if I were Viacom.

[​IMG]

eaeolian likes this.
  4. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

+ rep lmfao :lol: ...must spread around :lol:

5. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

Oooh dear, this could be intersting. The BBC has actaully just jumped into bed with Youtube to find a way of getting things running legit with BBC material.

6. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

i agree with Viacom on one of their strong points. why the fuck would i watch their programs on tv if i can watch them on youtube? do i want to sit through 15 minutes of commercials? hell no. do i want to watch some lame show @ 10.30pm because i'm waiting to see what i really want to watch @ 11pm? hell no! i'll go watch it right fucking now, on the internet. do i care about the fuzzy quality of the videos? not really, i'm only after the content. if i want a cinematic experience, i'll pop in a DVD.

the world of entertainment has been changing ever since the advent of the internet. this lawsuit seems, to me, to be 'the old' trying to reclaim from 'the new' what was "their's" for so long.

instead of suing, Viacom might find a better place for their money in their own video site, streaming their own material, for a small fee. would i pay something like $0.50 to watch a full tv show online, sans commercials, whenever i want? i might.

but, instead of innovating, Viacom decides to take the American Business Express, suing. weak :noway:

nice :)

7. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

This might also be a small part of the changing of the guard. With sites like YouTube people are getting more and more control over what is seen and heard. The old guard corporations are scared. If they lose control over what people do for entertainment they go broke and go bye bye.

8. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

exactly :yesway:

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Did anyone else think this thread was an Austin Powers reference?

10. Carrion

Carrion Et tu, Brute?

Meh, I'll just watch a video about it later, on Youtube.

11. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

This whole thing is bullshit and stinks. The only reason they're going after them is cause they have value. What about the thousands of lesser known sites hosting nothing but copyrighted television programs, movies, and shit? They won't go after them cause there's no profit to be made. And not for nothing but the networks are suffering for their own laziness. If they'd gotten off their collective asses and tried changing with the times they'd have their own websites with their content, possibly via subscription based or something so they can still make some cash. But no, they want to sit there and bitch just like the RIAA scoffed at the idea of the internet being a powerful medium. Under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act a company is only liable if they don't remove copyrighted material after removal has been requested. Not for nothing, but it really is nearly impossible to filter and monitor every uploaded clip for copyright infringment. You'd also have to indeed know a clip is copyrighted. How would YouTube know if a small unknown independent film short is copyrighted and that a user is violating the copyrights? That would require a shitload of research with the amount of content they get. I think all these media conglomerates should fuck off and leave YouTube/Google alone. In the end piracy will always continue and they should be thankful that the most popular video site on the net is a legitimate business that's willing to work with them to reduce piracy!

Rev.

Michael and ohio_eric like this.
  12. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

^ Exactly!

The old media was slow to react. So now they have to use the courts to try and save their asses. Lame indeed. :noway:

13. leatherface2

leatherface2 SS.org Regular

very lame.........they should have thought about how cool a computer is these days........i havent bought a cd in a long time..........music biz and entertainment biz is all on a computer.remember napster? now we have limewire.................lol i also noticed the cd bins at hastings is not as big as it was a few years back............even if i did want to buy a cd ill go to amazon.com.they have a better selection.and it comes in the mail so i can just sit on my fat ass on the couch.lol

14. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

I saw this yesterday and thought, "How pathetic." :noplease:

15. nicknuisance

nicknuisance Master Shredder Contributor

come to terms with the Terminator, Skynet.

16. Scott

Scott Aye. Contributor

Well I say it's about time. They had it coming. I'm a huge supporter of anyone who goes after YouTube/google for copyright infringement.

You say "They're not going after all the other sites because there isn't any profit to be made"

Well it's not just that. How many people do you know that mainly go to www.angelfire.com/videocollection for their video viewing pleasure? Not many I bet. Of course it's YouTube getting targeted, because that's where everyone goes to view tv shows/concert dvd clips/etc.

Don't get pissed because they're exercising their right to protect whats theirs. Saying "They should work with YouTube instead. So that everyone wins!" Yeah well it isn't Viacom thats at fault here, so they don't have to do a damn thing to make sure everyone wins. If they decide to do that, then cool. It works for CBS. If not, then they're entitled to go that route as well.

Point is, Viacom can broadcast their material however they want. Either online or on tv. They own the rights to it. YouTube doesn't.

17. Mark. A

Mark. A gang* 4 lyfe Contributor

I WUB youtube, fuck tv.

18. Buzz762

Buzz762 Destroyer of Worlds Contributor

Universal tried to sue Youtube previously and at some point realized what a major mistake they were making. It provides a shitload of publicity, which they may not realize nor care about. They have every right to sue them, but I still think they are making a mistake in doing so.

I wonder how they would feel if google were to omit all Viacom sites from their search results?

19. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

Any work is automatically copyrighted as soon as it is committed to any type of medium.

Still, I agree that it sucks, because no money is being made. I wouldn't bother with any of that stuff if I had to pay for it.

20. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Whether that is "technically" true or not I don't know but that's not the point. When I did my reading on registering material with the copyright offices it was made apparent that you need to register the material for full protection. Putting a clip online doesn't give a way for anyone to show they own the material. Your material is protected however, even unregistered, so long as you can *prove* you own it. If you can't prove it well you're shit out of luck.

Rev.