Your weekly Shawn Lane lick

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by redstone, Jan 7, 2016.

1. meteor685

meteor685 SS.org Regular

what about Allan holdsworth, FG, derek taylor, or darryl gabel ??

there chops where pretty close to Lanes...

2. ROAR

ROAR oaf tobar

Can you do the melody for Abstract Logic?
    I can't figure out what ....ing chords he's playing

3. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

^He plays

-7----7--11--9------iii-----------9--7-------
    ----------9---7--9---iii--9----9--7--4--7----
    -9----9--11--9------iii-----------9--6--4----
    ------------------9---iii--9----9---------6---
    ----------------------iii-----------------------
    ----------------------iii-----------------------

Because they're not dead so you can ask them directly. :lol:

And I don't find them instructive, challenging, and/or interesting enough. Sorry!

4. onefingersweep

onefingersweep SS.org Regular

No they're not close. The difficulty of Shawn's licks was that he could play them alternate picked. Which is the most difficult technique to reach high speed and precision with.

5. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

His left hand was much closer to perfection.

LICK n°4 - PART 1 - TIME 21:07

This one is full of informations so I break it in two parts and weeks.

-9/10\9-7-5-7----5----------5----------5-----5-------------5-7-----5----------------------------------------------------
    ----------------9-7--/10\9-7---/10\9-7-----7---/10\9-5-7-----9-7---7---7-----5---------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------9-----------(9?)--------------9---9-7--7--7-----6-7-----6-------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------9--9-7-----9-7---7-----6----------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------9-7---7--------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------9-7-5-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------i--m-i-r-----------------------6-----7----7------9-------9----------------------------------------------
    ---------6-7-------------7-------9---7-----9----9-----11-----11-------------9----------------------------------
    -----4-7-----7---7----9------11---9----11---12---12-----14-----14-14-12------12-9--------9-14-11-9-14-
    \4-5-----------9---10-----12----------------------------------------------------14------14-12-----------------

Explanation :

Once again Shawn exploits a few finger patterns over various string patterns to develop a wide range of possibilities. The green and blue notes are the same pinkie-middle-index-middle pattern, the orange notes are pinkie-ring-index.

Not much picking here, he's just accentuating the weak hammer-ons. The ascending triads section is often hybrid picked (down-down-finger), though in this case he seems to play hammer-down-up or something like that.

Your middle and pinke fingers will be the main speed limiter, as the interlocked p-m-i-m patterns create some highly frequencyvorous trills. The raw finger speed here is about 7+ hammers per second and there's no way to avoid it, like most of his licks, which is why he played so fast. There are some guitar skills we can't approach gradually, either we do it and progress, or we turn around it forever, just as we can't tremolo pick by dint of sweep picking.

-i---------------
    --m---m------i-
    -----p----p-m--

You can watch him play a similar pinkie-middle-index-middle lick in slow motion, there.

6. meteor685

meteor685 SS.org Regular

Lol I didnt know he altnerate picking everything, yeah his 2 note stuff is ridicously hardd.

This is a great thread though !

7. meteor685

meteor685 SS.org Regular

I was only saying that because someone said no one is close, and i thought they were.
    until i found out Lane picks everything which i didnt know.

Especially this one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_r8DD1GCE

8. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

^ he didn't pick all the notes, but his technique was complete enough to potentially pick most of what he played, with some imperfections. His alt-picking technique has a few drawbacks, the man wasn't omnipotent.

9. meteor685

meteor685 SS.org Regular

yeah i got some practicing to do, i would love to have chops like lane..or close...

I guess Get you back is a start..

10. TelegramSam

TelegramSam 7-string Understudy

Fantastic thread, haven't been on here in a while but looking forward to trying my hand at these later on :)

11. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Need moar Shawn

12. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

Hopefully tomorrow; I've been busy lately.. But it's still ongoing!

13. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I'm definitely going to work on some of these. Shawn was one of those players where his hand literally was a blur when playing.

14. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

I love this thread, these licks are insane. I'm gonna try to approach them in a way Shawn suggested in a video I watched a while ago - once you get the basic feel for the lick just speed it way up and then try to perfect it.

Keep up the good work! :D

15. phrygian12

phrygian12 SS.org Regular

There's a video of Lane meeting Holdsworth. I really wish someone could transcribe what they're talking about because of how old the video is along with them being in the middle of a busy show room (NAMM?) it's hard to make out everything they're saying. He was kinda fanboying over Holdsworth if I can remember correctly.

I know Holdsworth was a huge influence on Lane. Some of his licks are pretty up there on the " wtf is he doing?" WhiteLine is a solo I've been trying to learn along with the beautiful acoustic solo on Home.

Lane is a beast. A lot of his crazy stuff sounds pretty bland at a slow tempo. But then once you speed it up it becomes something else.

I like those moments he throws in some Charlie Parker-esque licks.

16. meteor685

meteor685 SS.org Regular

Yeah HOldsworth licks and solos are pretty damn hard...at least the stuff on the REH video....

I like how with HOldsworth and Lane the licks are like keyboard lines, horn lines etc...kinda like art tatum oscar peterson, charlie parker, etc