Your weakest technique?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Stealthdjentstic, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

It helps to have someone there that doesn't play anything just man the computer honestly...

There are times when we've had a random third party man the comp and he/she will just hit record whenever the mood strikes and it seems to work out really well.

That and just hitting record and leaving it recording. You eventually forget you're recording.

2. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

I have a new weakest technique, being able to play what I write :lol:

I swear I could play the one I am working on when I wrote it, why then did I not record it.... Now it is hopeless 3/4 speed practice.

3. Konfyouzd

That's how you progress, homie!

At least that's how it was put to me. I used to get so frustrated when I would come up with a cool riff right before I fall asleep; wake up because I absolutely HAVE to record that shit or at least pluck it out; then the next day, whether I can remember it or not, I can't play it well enough to show ANYONE.

I was told that it's good to write riffs you can't play because it helps you progress, but it just drives me nuts most of the time. :rofl:

4. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

^ I don't write with an instrument in my hand, makes this pretty easy to do.

5. Captain_Awesome

Captain_Awesome Cloudwalker

Probably reading leading sheets, it's a technique that I haven't come across very often in my capacity. As far as actual technical ability on the fretboard I'm pretty slick at most things but my weakest would be slapping Wooten style.

6. Konfyouzd

Well that, my friend, is a horse of a different color.

7. Captain_Awesome

Captain_Awesome Cloudwalker

I don't know how legit this is, but I found that either using a small plectrum or holding the plectrum very low down allowed me to hit Safety Fire style pinches.

8. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

I'm pretty much equally weak across the spectrum. I would probably say I'm at about 80-85% of where I'd like to be. It's all just time on the fretboard now. I need to stop procrastinating and just work on everything a little bit every day. I think the big problem is that I'm probably more talented than I am disciplined, so I get by on natural ability where I should be focusing on improving. Not that I'm super talented, just kind of a natural.

9. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

My weakest technique? Guitar.

10. Konfyouzd

Okay...

I literally just had this convo with a friend of mine...

I've been playing guitar for longer than ANY other instrument I play currently. Yet I feel like I progress on all of the other instruments so much more quickly and slowly guitar is becoming the instrument I enjoy hearing myself play the least.

At the same time, I suppose it could be reasoned that the things I had to learn the hard way on guitar in terms of melody and tone production have allowed me to focus on other things in learning new instruments and thus I progress more quickly as a result of having different (perhaps easier--for me) hurdles to hop.

But yea...

TL;DR:

I came to much the same conclusion less than an hour ago. :lol:

11. ShadowAMD

ShadowAMD SS.org Regular

Well I sing, play guitar, play bass and drums.. So, I'm never 100% sure where I should be focusing my energies on.. Probably singing TBH, I'm good enough at guitar to do a decent Rhythm and lead work that isn't awful..

I don't think mastery of any of them are any good unless you are a decent song writer, that's a technique people really should work on in my humble opinion..

12. tripguitar

tripguitar Settler of Catan

this is probably trivial for most of you, but riffs that are "downpick" driven are my weakest link.

i was self taught early on, started on bass. used fingers mostly. so when i picked up my dads guitar i took a pic and started up picking everything - as if i were emulating my fingers playing a bass.

so i now, i have some ridiculous up picking abilities, but i cant play simple downpicking riffs...

13. morrowcosom

morrowcosom SS.org Regular

^
    I can tremolo and down pick like a mother, but I currently cannot do gallops for shit. I am wood shedding with them though. I have been listening to too much Iced Earth not to.

14. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

And we both went to Woodbridge Senior High. Coincidence? :eek:

15. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

Djent is my weakest technique :lol:

16. UV7BK4LIFE

UV7BK4LIFE Schecter A7 addict

Double or triple pull-offs.

17. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

My fretting hand is abismal. Regardless of the instrument, my left hand just sucks. The drummer in one of my first bands used to say that my signature moves in the bass where slaps and mistakes. As I switched to guitar it became chugs and dead notes. It's all because of my utter lack of discipline actually. Practicing? Nah, I'd rather jam to songs until it works ...
    It never works

18. TheFerryMan

TheFerryMan Sauvage

theory and alt picking. Also Legato.

19. Tyler

Tyler SS.org Regular

String skipping.

And patience when it comes to building up my speed. When I shred its just plain sloppy and BS'ed

20. starslight

starslight Gimme that wheat!

Five-stroke rasgueado. My ring finger flicks out enough to cover one or maybe two strings, but that's it. The triplet thing Joey Eppard and Gabriela Quintero do is by no means easy, but the real old-school flamenco shit can be truly demoralizing to try to pick up.