Your typical 7 string beginner...

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Johnson49, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Johnson49

Johnson49 New Member

Alright here we go with the cliche.... Hi my name is Calvin....... hello Calvin....... I currently play a 6 string but my metal I feel isn't metal enough. Although the douche baggery of buying an 8 or 9 string right away is compelling, I feel dipping my tootsies in the shallow end of the extended range of guitars is a little more beneficial... So I've played a few Ibeenhads, music man's (men's?), and higher range Jackson's. I work for a living so I have no money... (You know..bills and all) I am sticking around the $300 range. I like the look of the Agile 725 Pros. Which would be the top of my range and above. However I've had a hard on for Jackson's. Owned plenty of them. Love their necks and playability. I found an older Jackson DR7 that has been begging me to accidentally tap the purchase button under the wife's nose... I've watched enough videos to make my eyes and ears bleed (seriously.. some people need to practice.) Does anyone have input on my horrible indecisiveness? Would I benefit from buying an Agile with presumably better hardware and pickups....or do I buy the Jackson and Frankenstein it a bit? Any one have input on either of these guitars? Input on Agiles in general?? Bueller? Thanks

2. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Get an agile.

3. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

Save your money, you know .. over time. And purchase a good instrument.

When I was a kid and income was limited I would save for MONTHS or even a year to make a purchase. Kids these days ...

4. BigViolin

BigViolin my vibrato is older than you

For me neck shape, scale length and bridge type need to be right from the start and everything else either doesn't matter or is easily changed.

I like 25.5" inch sevens with a hardtail so a used semi beat up RG7421 with a pickup swap was perfect for me. If you don't like Ibanez the equivalent Jackson/ESP/Schecter would put you in about the same spot money wise. Though I've never played an Agile, they are definitely a good solid buy in their price range.

I'd figure out what specs you need and buy used. If you have a couple of weeks to a month of patience to watch the market you can find some great deals.

...and Welcome!

mlp187 likes this.
  5. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

In that price range I'll second the recommendation for an rg7421. An MIJ one if you can track one down in your budget. Or, and while this is below your budget, I scooped up a Jackson js22-7 (the one with the maple board, passive pickups, and the more "hipshot-esque" bridge) for $120. It played well enough for it's price point and would've played like any other mid tier guitar ($500-800) with a lil fretwork. Plus the extended scale (26.5") helps with string tension if that's your thing. Honestly the only reason I parted ways with it was because I needed the bread to fund other gear and I just prefer sixers at this point. Tried a few different sevens of varying quality and a regular 6 string just feels better to my hands.

I'd say find a cheap js22-7 and spend the rest of your budget on pickups and a solid set up/any fretwork that needs done.

Edit: also not sure what the current opinion on agile is (been out of the loop with them lately) or if these issues have been resolved but, but if memory serves the consensus on agiles a few years ago was that thier quality control was either hit or miss on models in that price range (everything from finish flaws to poor fret work, to some stuff being nearly unplayable). Now this was only an issue if you ordered one outside of the US, as thier return policy for domestic customers was pretty spot on, but anyone else was essentially up shit creek without a paddle.

Just to clarify, this is an opinion that was formed, and generally agreed upon by most people 3-5 years ago. They may have stepped up thier game since then, in which case thier hardware and specs are good for the price point.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  6. GatherTheArsenal

GatherTheArsenal SF2 > Everything

Agile is just as playable as any Jackson I've had my hands on, for less money too. Coming from 15 or so years playing mainly Ibanez and Jackson myself, I'm happy with Agile. Really fast necks.

mlp187 likes this.
  7. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Hi Calvin, have you considered a Kliesel?

8. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

Where are these $300 Kiesels at?

9. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

lolz....
    but anyways. the first thing I would do if your able is to go to a local guitar store and see if they have any 7's in the first place that way you can go ahead and get a feel for what your about to jump into. Both options of getting an agile vs getting a potential modder guitar are fine. I for one would go with an agile. They are very decent quality and the guys over at rondo are really good about fixing anything that comes back from their store (unless you buy used, but sometimes they do help out). But like I said earlier I would suggest trying a 7 out first at a local shop.