Your Majesty Says Hello

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Your Majesty, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Popsyche

Popsyche Contributor

The idea is you wailing away in your most metal pose to milling throngs of raised horns with a look of utter metal agony on your face, blazing metal magic to the masses!

:hbang: :hbang: :hbang: :shred: :hbang: :hbang: :yesway:

P.S. See Shannon pix:agreed:

2. Regor

Regor Double Edge FTW Contributor

Bah! Who cares? Only the resident 'Iconic-Rock-God-Image-Whores' post their pics in all sorts of poses with any type of whatever to get attention (see also: Shannon on-stage, Shannon & Donnie drunk, Chris when he goes shopping... or pretty much does anything while holding a camera, Noodles' ass, etc. :rofl:)

Now, post pics of your guitars/amps/gears. :lol:

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Screw pics, with your background and influences, I want mp3's. :D

Welcome. :wavey:

4. Regor

Yeah! No shit!! :agreed:

5. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Welcome!

Cool to have a trained pianist on the site too, as I'm going to start piano lessons again soon. Problem is, I'm only able to practice when I'm at home (about 1/3 of each year), and probably left it too late to ever get really good. Mind if I occasionally hassle you for advice?

Great taste as well!:metal: :metal: :metal:

6. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Ibanez Goddess

Several here have warned me about you.

You can ask me for piano advice anytime distressed_romeo, I would be more then happy to help and no, its never to late to learn or, master an instrument, especially piano. Iam assuming your at the intermediate level, since you had mentioned you will be starting again.

7. Angels Holocaust

Angels Holocaust Guitars and junk

Welcome! Youre influences kickass, keep it metal.

8. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

:agreed:

9. distressed_romeo

Cheers! Much appreciated.:)

As I said, my main problem is that I don't have much opportunity to practice, and that I've been largely self-taught with only a few formal lessons. At the moment I'm teaching myself pieces for a book of Bach's keyboard works, but it's mainly through rote learning, as I don't really have the proper classical training, or the reading skills.

Just out of interest, are there any particular pieces or study guides you'd recommend?

10. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Ibanez Goddess

You're very welcome distressed_romeo and as previously mentioned, I am glad to help out. Ask me anytime,especially with Piano since that's the instrument I was classical trained in and suited up for competitions.

Though, I don't know to much of your musical, background history, I am going to assume a few things (from what you've told me) and you can correct me at any time and stir me in the correct direction for me to best advise you.

Being that you have not had any formal, classical training for a long period of time: (and I rank formal training in terms of years - not lessons) and the fact that you do not practice - continously, I would have to rank you as a Beginner or a Novice. (Which is excellent) due to the fact that you are already a musician, with a knowledge base in song composition formation. The fact that you are self-teaching yourself is a bonus. It reads the fact that you are motivated.

As with all of my First Year Students - Level 1, the following is what I recommend.

Beginner: I would suggest listening to orchestral music first (with or without any instrumental solo), because there are more musical variations in orchestral music. Also start with some of the more familiar pieces (e.g. Beethoven's 5th Symphony or the Nutcracker Suite).

In addition, any starter pieces, I usually like to students to famliarize themselves with the classics. Beethovan's - Sonata No.6 F Major Allegro or in Allegretto which is relatively slow and very transitional. Sonata's are the first pieces I recommend and suggest to master, prior to taking over Concerto, Chamber and Solo pieces.

As mentioned for now, I would recommend for you to stay away from are Concerto Pieces and Chamber Music. They are extremely difficult to master and tend to reserve those pieces in my advance curriculum classes. If you attempt in mastering those pieces, it would simply frustrate the shit out of you.

For example: Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.3, Alegra Con Brio is very complicated piece. Several of my 'overly confident' Intermediate students tackle this piece. I admire them for trying but I do not advise it. Within this piece, and several more, 'Rondo Allegro' and 'Largo'; Alegra Con Brio was the first to use a minor key and the first to reject the dominant Mozartean style of piano concerto, in which dominant keys flow back and forth on the piano, echoing with the orchestra.

This is a level only a Advance student, after many competitions, recitals and exams can master, by memorization.

I hope I didn't scare you.... :) But I think you are at the right place where you should be.

Provided you have the time and your serious, I would strongly suggest hooking up with a piano teacher and bank a period of continous lessons. In addition to that, I strongly advise, learn THEORY. Iam a strong believer, promoter and pusher of theory.

As well....if you can set yourself up at a Music School or Conservatory where you are getting your lessons, performing at recitals is a great way to express your musical skills as well as sharpen your performance skills. It is also an opportunity to showcase your hard work, build your self-confidence, and prepare for any upcoming auditions, tests, or competitions.

I hope this helps or is a start for you. If you need further info, please let me know. Otherwise, it was great talking shop talk with ya. :)

11. telecaster90

telecaster90 Smokestack Lightning Contributor

Welcome aboard!

12. distressed_romeo

That all seems like excellent advice, thank you!:)

Perhaps I should have been more specific...I've had formal musical training, including studying classical music (funny you mentioned Beethoven's 5th, as I spent about three months pulling that apart with one of my music teachers), but unfortunately, most of my training has been based of fusion guitar, so I'm really an improviser foremost rather than an interpreter of music. When I've studied classical music for the guitar it's been mostly a combination of ear and painstaking rereading of the scores. Check out the lessons section for some transcriptions of bits from Paganini's 24 Caprices I did for instance; I had to do those by reading the scores and deciding upon all the fingering options rather than playing them from sight.
    Hopefully in a year or so I'll be off to music college (the Guitar Institute) in London for three years, where if memory serves, you have to do some keyboard modules anyway. As I've nothing to do this summer I'm going to devote myself to improving my reading skills, in addition to practicing the keys regularly again.

Cheers once again for your help.:metal:

13. Regor

:yesway: Sweet! My reputation precedes me. :hbang:

:rofl:

[action=Regor]hope she doesn't take anything personally... he just likes to bust people's chops.[/action]

14. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

Ahem. *cough cough*
    http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showpost.php?p=170710&postcount=1
    :fawk:

15. Regor

Like I said... my reputation preceeds me. :rofl:

16. E Lucevan Le Stelle

E Lucevan Le Stelle in love with Judas

Hi :)

yeah, it's me from IG...incidentally, this chick is the one who convinced me to get a 7 in the first place. :hbang:

Oh, and I'll add my name to the "post-a-picture-of-yourself" petition ;)

17. JPMDan

JPMDan IT'S OVER 9000!!!! Contributor

I'm way over due for a 7 string pic LOL

18. Mark. A

Mark. A gang* 4 lyfe Contributor

Well, you can't master an instrument but yeah anyway, welcome.