Your Ideal Multiscale specs!

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by The Music Zoo, May 12, 2014.

1. ceiling_fan

ceiling_fan SS.org Regular

Yep, that's specifically why I said 24.0 instead of 24 ;)

24" would be my bare minimum if I intended to tune high A, and I'm not sure I would even like it. Conklin 22.5 for the win!

I know what you mean though, I think many people reading model names on Rondo Music think 25 = 25 (not 25.5) and 28 = 28 (not 28.625)

2. tastehbacon

tastehbacon SS.org Regular

Ash body, with a nebula burst poplar burl top, maple based 7 or 11 piece neck with a birdseye maple fretboard, stainless steel frets, and a 26-28.625 inch scale
    *sploosh*

3. RV350ALSCYTHE

RV350ALSCYTHE SS.org Regular

They are not 24.0" they are 24.75" and that is still too long for my intended purposes.
    It may say 82427 but in the fine print it states 24 and 3/4 inch scale length.

Edit: just checked and you're right they DO offer that now:yesway:..still a little too long imo for a dependable High A.

I want the high A to feel like a 10 at 25.5, not a 10 at 27, which is why I'm pushing for 23.5 or shorter.
    I have a 22.5 - 26 inch neck atm and it works fine, things get a little tight between frets higher up but nothing detrimental to playing.
    I think between 22-23.75 would be a good starting point for protos.

4. Suho

Suho Guitar Guardian Contributor

I'll second this. I had a nice Siggery FF8 that was 25.5-28 and while a very nice instrument - playing chords kind of sucks with any kind of large fan. For strictly single note lead work it may be fine, but I like my chords and won't sacrifice that.

5. Nagash

Nagash doesn't like things

It DID exist. Dean made a (very) limited run of Rusty Cooley signature 8-strings with exactly the 23.5-25.5 fan.

I guess they didn't care to make it a production model in full series because there would be a VERY limited demand for something like that. Especially at the price of a custom shop Dean.

There are no production guitars with fanned frets made in big series by any major manufacturer, except for Agile. Ibanez, ESP, Jackson, Schecter etc probably think it's not worth investing in all the stuff you need for a new model like that, given how small the potential customer group would be.

6. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

My suggestion:

1. Understand that not everyone here has posted "good" suggestions. You want something that will actually sell,. A high A string won't sell lol.

2. 25.5-27" or 25.5-28" is the most popular fan for an 8 string. I don't like it but whatever.

3. Thin neck

4. Big frets

5. Lace pickups are popular. You can always just use EMGs and a minority of people will complain. Just use the X-series and it will be fine.

7. JaeSwift

JaeSwift Of Blood and Sawdust

To be fair, people complain about Lace pickups as well :lol:
    You'll never satisfy everyone with the pickups you put in to a guitar; everyone just has different preferences.

8. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater ERG/ERB Builder

It seems that pickups are the biggest point of contention but that doesn't surprise me. The OP said that the guitar was going to be "special" so I'm assuming we're not talking about a cheap entry level RG8 or Agile competitor. I'd look into having custom angled pickups made for the guitar. Maybe have a couple of options for different voicings.

9. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

^That would be pretty cool. Also please give us some options for single coils.

10. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater ERG/ERB Builder

The Ionizer single coils are fantastic pickups especially considering their price. Based on communications with Steve Blucher at Dimarzio I plan on using them at some point in a HSS and SSS array.

The Lollar's in The General Lee are obviously great too but several times more expensive than the Dimarzio pickups.

11. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

Holy shit you guys build guitars? I'm only out in Ronkonkoma :lol:

I like headless guitars. But if we are talking just scales. I don't like too much of a fan. Either 25-26 or 25.5-26.25 for me on a 7 string. not too much into 8s anymore.

Black flame top with maple board. No dots except on the side. Lace Deathbucker 7/HB7 set