Your favourite string sets?

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Vinchester, May 31, 2013.

1. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

I just bought a set of D'addarios 11's for my Tanglewood acoustic today. It's made of "85-15 American bronze".

I find it too bright and chimey. I think a lot of string makers try to make their strings extra bright so that it'd sound open and new on dull-sounding acoustics (I tried a rather fancy set of Martins previously and it was also too bright). My guitar however is already quite open sounding, and the extra presence and treble makes it sound almost plasticky. I'm wondering if anyone around here feel the same?

From my rather limited experience, Elixirs work best on my guitar. It's also capable of staying decent enough for up to 6 months without getting all rusted up.

So what are your favourite strings? And do you find it works better for your particular guitar(s)? I'm asking because I want to try other brands as well :)

2. erotophonophilia

erotophonophilia SS.org Regular

For an acoustic I rarely touch, Silk and steel's.

3. Krah13

Krah13 SS.org Regular

I feel the same thing when I play acoustic guitars. They sound to my ears too trebly. My first guitar was a cheap classical guitar that had a full range sound ( more bass and mids than the average acoustic). These days I play a hybrid acoustic Godin guitar and I use 13 gauge electric guitar strings. I think that this is the first acoustic (almost) instrument that I like.

If you can experiment with different gauges I advise you to try out the 12's acoustic string set. I think that it could help you in terms of sound. I don't know if you can handle the 12's. The tension is too hard for many players.

4. Koop

Koop SS.org Regular

I'm pretty much set on Elixir's. Uncoated strings have this weird dry feeling to them and sound squeaky... maybe that's because I'm used to Elixir's :lol:
    Although, I did try a set of John Pearse strings and REALLY liked them even though they were uncoated. I liked them a bit more than the Elixir's, and they lasted me a good month and a bit before they started to sound dead.
    D'addario's I can't stand... they sound dead after a day, and they have this really weird tension I don't like either.
    So it's pretty much Elixir's for me, I can keep a set on for months on end and never change them unless a string breaks (usually the G or D). Elixir are a great company.. A while back I kept breaking my G string and I told Elxir about it and they sent me 6 extra G strings for free, which was great... funny thing is after they sent me them, my G string hardly ever broke anymore :lol:

Daf57 likes this.
  5. JPMike

JPMike Totally Random

Regarding Semi Hollows, I use D'addario EJ22 set, with a wound G string.

On archtops, I use Thomastik swing 13 set, feels like a 12 though. Thomastik usually mixes sets up, it's like a 13 treble set with 12s bass set.

John Pearse are really nice strings too.

6. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

GHS Boomers 11-50 for my 'vintage application' guitars and usually D'addario 10-46 for the others. I really dug the Thomastiks on my Breedlove acoustic though :)

7. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

I don't have a steel string but for my classical guitars I use Hannbach Goldins with a D'Addario .54 as the 7th string. I'm going to try a different seventh in the next couple of days but i'm pretty set on the Goldins. It took a long, long time to finally pinpoint my ideal string set. Once you find it, don't look back! :)

8. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

Valid. This seems to be especially true with nylons. It's so damn hard to find a set with the 'right' tension while not neglecting the feel and sound :noplease:

9. breathlessdecent

breathlessdecent gear whore wannabee

I love the Ernie ball 10-46 with a 58 on top. Great strings for recording

10. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

+1 for the Elixirs on my acoustics. :)