Your favorite acoustic string?

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by GuitaristOfHell, Mar 22, 2013.

1. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

Looking around, been using elixer for a while, but they didn't have my gauge (local store and I use 12's) so I tried Martin SP .125-56 bronze and my God what a difference in a good way. They're not the smoothest feel wise but feel great, and the sound really opens up with these on.

What do you guys use and or recommend and why?

I'm using a Takamine EG431SC w/ bone nut as the only modification. Thinking about trying 13's but heard they're a little harder on the fingers if you have a dreadnought (which I have). Right now it projects better than any acoustic I've played (including many Taylors), and sounds even better it's just the play-ability is off at the moment. What strings are smooth and sound as good as Martin SP's or better is another question I have.

2. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

3. Jzbass25

Jzbass25 SS.org Regular

I haven't tried many but I do like the d'addario phosphor bronze 12s that came on my acoustic.

4. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Another +1 for D'Addario Phosphor Bronze -- Especially if you buy singles and go for a progressive tension. That said, I have had to go-up to thicker, tighter trebles, otherwise they were too twangy. Basically, I went with the largest wound string that would fit for my Low-E, and then went down from there, keeping each higher string at a slightly lower tension than the previous.

I'm looking at getting some brass-coated steels the next time around, because they're still a bit twangier than I'd like. If anybody else has suggestions, I'm open for any.

Ray

5. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Since you're not (usually) running an acoustic through an amp and FX, you notice the difference between strings (and picks) much more so than with an electric. And noticing these differences, I learned that I do not like the sound of Elixers, especially their 80/20 bronze strings - they're WAY too thin and bright for anything except the darkest of instruments IMO.

Having said that, I have found that I like phosphor bronze strings. Different brands of PB strings sound different, but there is a common character (a smoky richness of tone, if that makes any sense at all) about PBs that I like. Some recommendations to try out:
    • D'Addario PB (bright for PB)
    • John Pearse PB (warmer than the D'Addarios, but the wounds strings are also more defined and articulate than other strings I've tried; I've been using these for the past year)
    • Martin SP PB (sort of between John Pearse and DR Rare in tone)
    • DR Rare PB (dark, rich and warm)
    • DR Sunbeam PB (warm and mellow; these are round core strings, so don't cut them before you have them installed and tuned to pitch or they will unwind from the core)
    • Newtone Masterclass (warm; round core strings)
    • Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum (I haven't tried these myself, but many recommend them as warm, expensive, but very long lasting (like a year); round core strings)

6. WesleyG

WesleyG SS.org Regular

D'addario Phospher Bronze all the way. They feel great, sound great, and they're only $4.50 at Best Buy. They're my go to.

7. Glosni

Glosni SS.org Regular

I use D'addario on all my guitars, so nylon, steel and 6/7 string electric.

Phospher Bronze .12-.53 (Light Gauge). I tried the EXP Coated D'addarios for a while, but they sounded somewhat dull and muffeled to me, I prefer the brightness of uncoated strings. Also, D'addarios, even uncoated, last very long.

Every time I tried any other brand, I missed the D'addarios. So yeah, I am a fanboy.