Your Dream Custom 7 STRING!! (specs) HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Thr33, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

+1 :agreed:

2. 7deadlysins666

7deadlysins666 kvlt

Indeed!!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself. I would prefer Not playing S shaped guitars, but the funds don't allow me to afford a custom, so im stuck for now. (or get an Agile until first of the year)

3. twiztedchild

twiztedchild Banned

4. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Well, swamp ash with/without maple cap, mahogony with maple cap (sorry to say, but I am not massively keen on mahogony only guitars).

neck ptofile, well, i'd look at the early 90's (not past 94) UV necks. very comfy and play like the clappers in terms of feel and size. nicest ones I've played, and why I'm obsessed by them.

No EMG's. Offer them, but to be honest, i think passives will work better.

A good passive single coil. It's one of the things severely lacking at the moment, I mean, I'd LOVE to have a 7string version of the dimarzio blue velvet, but I am sure there are better single coil sounds out there.

Scale length? Well, 25.5" is good. A few people prefer 27", but it does sound different and feels different and isn't to everyone's liking. If you're building a short run to see how it goes, I'd avoid 27" unless you allow custom orders.

For the rest, choice of maple/ebony or rosewood would be nie, even just ebony or maple to be honest, as they aren't common at all, and a lot of players would like them I think.

But, it will be iteresting to see! Just make them play and sound like god :D

5. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Body: Ash (There's a lot of basswood and mahogany ones) with or without maple cap. It's great for aesthetics though.

Neck: Maple with the option of ebony/maple board, for the same reason as above. I'd love Birdseye maple, and I think all of us would as well.

Inlays: Blank board would work best. Most of us hate dot inlays

Pickups: Passives. Ruining a expensive guitar with an oversized pickup housing is not good.

Bridge: Original Floyd Rose-7. There's only a few guitars that offer them, so it would be a great selling point. Also, players who don't like floating bridges can always block it, easier than routing for a trem.

I like how this thing looks, something like this with a floyd would be great:

[​IMG]

6. Thr33

Thr33 SS.org Regular

The Floyd is considered to be medicore these days. The two owners of Shaller died some 15 years ago at least and the bridges having been going down hill since. Suhr has changed their 6 string version to the Gotoh and notice a dramatic tonal improvement as well as reliability and tuning stability.
    I know they have had nothing but problems with the "Original Floyd" in the last 5 years which is actually made by Shaller. RoHS has caused many changes in the plating and the tooling at Shaller badly needs to be rebuilt. Suhr will research all available bridges before making a final commitment since it is in their best interest to offer the best sounding, performing bridge when they have a lifetime warranty.
    Feel free to contact John at Suhr guitars if you have any input on this subject.

7. damigu

damigu stay tuned

tonally, the kahler is the best full whammy bridge in production--it offers the tone of a fixed bridge guitar (because the saddles *ARE* fixed and the route required for it about as small as a pickup cavity) while still allowing full up/down bending capability.

unfortunately the floyd is so ubiquitous that most people are used to its feel and unwilling to change (regardless of whether the change would ultimately be toward more accuracy/precision or not).

that's something that suhr would have to look into pretty carefully because the whole floyd vs. kahler whammy issue is a deal breaker for many people.

having said that, i hope i didn't just turn this into a floyd vs. kahler debate.
    (and if i did, i hope no one posts links that terrible youtube video that claims to be impartial but is quite obviously biased toward floyd)

8. Thr33

Thr33 SS.org Regular

Well, we will look at what's available to us, and what will be the better option. The trs 7 pro is just what we have right now, but we will be sure to consider the quality and tone, and find out what the better bridge will be for our prototypes. Nothing set in stone as of now...

Thanks.

9. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

i know i'd love to get on all this great talk..I mean "TALK"..because i see this as a guitar with one model and then disappear like the Tom Anderson Drop Top 7 did.But on a positive Note..i think this Talk is really good toward getting a model out there. Kahler is really the only true way to go now adays because they are making quality trems and multiple string trems at that..where is Floyd has become a mass product everyone copies..and still has no good improvements to it..other then Kevans..Tremol-no....Suhr make some sweet guitars I am really more worried about the price this guitars bound to be 4000.00 US

10. Thr33

Thr33 SS.org Regular

If anyone is still looking at this thread, we have obtained an OFR bridge and have decided to use it on the prototypes.

11. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

Very cool. :yesway: I'm not a trem guy at all, but I know there are a lot of people out there that will enjoy this.

12. Newtype

Newtype SS.org Regular

Body - Mahogany or Alder
    Neck - Jackson Soloist Thin
    Scale ~ 27"
    Fretboard ~ Fanned Frets/Ebony
    Pups ~ Open option but kill for a Piezo option
    Bridge ~ Hard Tail or Petrucci type

13. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

Body - RG shape with contours and bevels, mahogany with flamed maple top
    Color - similar to the emerald burst on the EB JPM
    Scale - 27
    Neck - maple neck-thru similar to how ESP does their necks, wizard II thickness
    Fingerboard - Ebony with extra jumbo frets
    Pickups - EMG 707TW (neck & bridge)
    Bridge - Hipshot Fixed with piezo elements
    Controls - 2 volume, 1 tone with coil tap, mini toggle for piezo, 3-way switch for pups

14. Dusty201087

Dusty201087 Kenyon class of 2014

If I was ordering a 7 string Modern, the specs that I would want would be as follows:

Mahogany body
    Maple neck
    Neck-thru (if possible)
    27" scale
    Aldrich pups
    Thin neck, not very flat though.
    Maple/exotic wood top
    OFR/Kahler bridge
    Maple/ebony fretboard
    Reversed headstock
    27 frets

But the best thing that Suhr can do (IMO) is just let the customer build what they want just like they do now. While a few of my specs I could very easily live without, I know for a fact if Suhr just made 1 type of a 7 and it wasn't what I wanted... Then there would be no way in hell I'd buy it for the normal price of a Suhr. If I could go through the normal custom process and get most of my specs, then you'll almost 100% see me as a customer within the next few years. In fact, if Suhr comes out with a seven string modern, it's very likely that it will be my next guitar after this BRJ.

P.S. If the modern ever gets a 27 fret option... Please please PLEASE extend the cut out just a little bit so people can USE the frets!!! I've never played a Caparison Horus but I've heard it's incredibly hard to get higher than the 24th fret. I for one know if I couldn't even get to the 27th fret, I'd much rather just have a better neck pickup tone and go for 24 frets.

15. flo

flo SS.org Regular

maple Neck, at least 5 piece
    multiscale fretboard 25.5" - 27", side-dots only. well, my taste in fretboard woods is maybe too expensive for mass production...
    4+3 headstock
    bolt on or neck through
    Thin alder, swamp ash or mahogany body, maple or walnut top (thick), no flat top
    oil finish
    2 humbuckers (maybe q-tuners)
    3-way miniswitch for each pickup (series/paralell/singlecoil)+ 3-way swich as usual (like on les paul)

Body should feel ergonomic and not too mainstream, there are enough superstrats out there imo.

It is very important to me that the guitar isn't neck-heavy, both strapped-on and sitting, that the fret access is perfect, and the tone is not muddy.

16. harkonnen8

harkonnen8 SS.org Regular

- Preferably neckthrough
    - Something RG'ish shape wise
    - 27" scale 3-pc wenge with alder or ash wings
    - 24 frets
    - 4:3 headstock
    - ebony fretboard
    - small dots as seen on rg1527 or no inlays
    - Passive humbucker that growls (something lundgren like)
    - Fixed bridge
    - 1 Vol, 3-way switch
    - Deep lower cutaway for fret access
    - No locking tuners
    - Natural wood finish

:shred:

17. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

[​IMG]
    HARKONNEN SCUM!

harkonnen8 likes this.
  18. EliNoPants

EliNoPants SS.org Regular

if this thread is still relevant, i'd point out that i probably can't afford a Suhr, and that these specs are based on playing to the strengths of what Suhr does

27" bolt on, Telecaster body shape
    24 frets
    maple neck
    ebony board
    alder body
    HSS pups
    coil-tap on the bridge humbucker, and a switching system to have each pup singly, then bridge and neck, and then neck and middle together as a humbucker
    not sure exactly what pups to go with, but as long as it gets as close as possible to David Gilmour tone, i'd be happy
    piezo bridge, whether it's hardtail or Floyd

basically a high end version of an old school Telecaster and Strat hybrid with a few modernizations and a nice bright tone would have me considering ditching a bunch of other gear and saving for an extended period of time

19. asstone

asstone Newbie

- 27" scale 5-pc maple/bubinga neck-through with mahogany wings
    - 24 frets
    - reversed headstock
    - carved top super-strat body shape
    - ebony fretboard with small triangle markers at bottom end of fretboard
    - extra jumbo frets
    - Neck and bridge PUs: Bare Knuckle warpigs
    - ZR tremolo with piezo
    - graph tech midi
    - 1 Vol, 1 Tone, LP style 3-way toggleswitch