Your Career - How Do You Feel About It?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Konfyouzd, Dec 20, 2011.

1. BlindingLight7

BlindingLight7 Needs moar Gear.....

Well I just got fired for low productivity... even though I was told that the first month we where to focus on quality not quantity...and that I was doing a good job, for fuck sake I just got done with my training too. I'm so fucked now

2. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

Being in the military, I was handed a career that just so happened to allign with some of my interests (IT). That said, I still don't know what I want to do.

3. The Uncreator

The Uncreator Control The Sun

I do Glazing (construction), windows, glass, doors, all that stuff. It's actually interesting, I like putting together twenty foot curtain walls of glass, then seeing it all come together. Its one of the few construction trades that looks good when an entire building is done.

Although its get heavy sometimes. I work out of boomlifts 30-40 to 60-80 feet in the air a lot of times putting in glass that can weigh over 300 pounds.

Dont wanna drop it! lol

4. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Yeah that's over, really not enjoying the course anymore and can't see myself doing it as a career. At least I've pulled out only 6 weeks into the course instead of almost finishing. I'm in the midst of transferring to IT Related courses, but it seems to be a bit of a problem cause it's already 6 weeks in, so I have 6 weeks to catch up, and I may have to wait mid-year to start.. Which I really don't want to waste more time. I've already got my parents annoyed at me because of it and they think If I have to start mid-year I'll never go back :ugh:

Life, why are you so annoying?! :scream:

5. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Im stoked. In my short time in the military Ive done everything from combat to dive training to learning russian in a year (even got a degree) to lots of other stuff that I love on my resume, Im having an absolute blast. My wife is provided for and we have a daughter on the way. Navy is a good place for us to be. :)

Solodini likes this.
  6. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

Holy shit, Tiger is alive :lol:

7. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Probably for the better as there is no one the civil engineer hates more than the architect :lol:. We make the dream come true, and they get all the credit. Kind of annoying really when you have to argue it isn't possible to have an entire building without columns just because they envision it :lol:.

Still liking my job a lot, and loving the underground environment. Passed my 3 months start of last turn around. Got to do a pretty cool experiment with detonators, and blow some stuff up. Living the dream. Nothing like sequencing (timing) an round to go off and having it all come out great, first damned try. Especially when a round is 400+m^3 of in situ rock.

8. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

I really enjoy what I'm doing now, but there's not a lot of room for growth in education so I'm applying to PhD programs to allow me to grow into higher ed+research. I'm taking my 3rd practice GRE today (hoping for 90+ percentile in verbal and 97+ percentile in quantitative).

9. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

When I was in my teen or early 20's I was all over the place but after a bit you will find your nich and things will work out.

There is a problem with school and that the sale of the course does not have anything to do with the work within the job. What I mean is what you learn and what you do are different.
    Also, the amount of courses offered and the amount of jobs available are nowhere near the same in you typical post graduate schools.

You guys have it hard!
    Saying that I still know people in their 40's who don't know what to do when they grow up.

10. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

My current career is 9-11 dispatching. I don't hate it, I feel lucky that I have a decent job when many of my friends are barely(or not) making it. The pay could be better, but I respect my co-workers, am liked by everyone at the office and I've known my boss since I was a boy. I'd left for a few months last summer but my boss called me to offer the job back when someone quit.

With that said, it is the single most stressful position I've ever had. I'm not complaining, it's nothing compared to what our active duty troops have to go through. Based on my experience though it gets pretty rough at times.

I'm contemplating going back to school..although I'm not sure what exactly to go for. Several things appeal to me and are on my list. Med school/dental school is number one. I've also thought about music education, being a band director has always been something I thought of doing. I still love marching band and have taught drumlines in the past. Being a therapist also appeals to me. At this point I think I'm going to just go for basics and speak with some counselors.

11. Variant

Variant Banned

Ha ha... my career. A fucking joke. I always wanted to work on the development of automobiles, as a designer, technical director and whatnot.

I bounced around in crappy engineering support jobs for bland industries for years, and have been unemployed and TIRELESSLY looking for any kind of work for over three-and-a-half years.

Turns out the older I get, the more of a worthlessness piece of garbage I am. Some days I feel like I'd be lucky if I ever work again.

12. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

13. Ill-Gotten James

Ill-Gotten James SS.org Regular

I've been working in the health field for a few years now. While my current position is not my dream job, I work for a really great health system and hope that I can stay with them for quite some time. I like my career field (nursing), but my current position has more to do with management, than actual face to face patient care. I'm kind of all about blood, guts, and fart jokes, so the office work life is not cutting it. But a job is a job right now and I have my foot in the door, so I cannot complain.

14. Konfyouzd

I've been thinking about some things lately...

I remember talking to a friend in college about careers. She told me she couldn't imagine doing a job that wasn't something she absolutely loved (clearly a lie bc almost no one likes their college job(s) much less loves the damn thing(s)). I always saw it as a means to an end:

This job pays x amount. I need y amount to live and z amount to enjoy myself. If x >= (y+z) I'm there.

I still see it that way to an extent, but there are parts of working in my field that I am finding increasingly frustrating:

-Communications between the client and technical consultants is a little less than effective some of the time. One, the guy I work with on this project--the only other software engineer from my company on site--is actually formally trained in something other than what we do. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but when it comes to a lot of the theory and/or conceptualizing an idea I can definitely see where his skills are lacking.

-If I seem to understand something and other don't, they play it as though I'm the crazy one rather than asking me to help them achieve a similar level of understanding.
    -I thought there was, but there seems to be very little direction. What I mean by that is we're working on one thing one day and the next something else is high priority and a few seconds later something else might trump that. And to an extent things like this are to be expected but sometimes all of the smaller issues are symptoms of a larger ailment the higher ups just don't feel comfortable tackling (usually as a result of being unfamiliar with processes/technologies involved).

-The main thing that bothers me is being held back from doing something that I KNOW will be beneficial because 20 people who don't even know what it is have to approve it and ask a million questions that have nothing to do with the point before I can even begin looking into building a test a lot of the time. And at the same time they want to know why I couldn't do it faster... :wallbash:

I've been looking around at other programming opportunities and it seems like everyone everywhere wants to be doing the SAME EXACT THING. Whatever my resume says I currently do, that's what they want me to do. Yet they don't want to offer a raise or a better commute so what incentive would I have to leave other than being part of a "really cool work environment"--which is another thing I'm sick and tired of reading in job descriptions. It just sounds so juvenile.

Part of me thinks this is just the way things work when you work with the federal gov't. Things seem to go painfully slowly, not at all or "FULL SPEED AHEAD--WE NEED THIS YESTERDAY!!!"

Another thing I think of is that maybe this is what it's like when you work for a small company--at least as far as the lack of direction I'm seeing. My previous employer was a large corporation and everything was VERY structured. It was as though they'd thought things through a bit better.

Any other programmers out there? I know this is only my second job (I have to keep reminding myself) but this whole contracting/consulting thing is starting to drive me CRAZY.

Going back to the job being something you love concept...

While the job being my passion wasn't exactly requirement, it IS a requirement that I not absolutely fucking hate the place. Some days I sincerely feel like I hate my job even though I actually like to program and I feel like treating it as a service the way they do in consulting/contracting is what's causing this.

I think I'd like to get in somewhere and just be a backend developer either for some name brand software company or a gaming developer. Even if dealing with the ppl is just as annoying I feel like I would have more fun. :shrug:

15. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

I view my career as an interruption in my day to day events and a monetary fuel for my passions. Other than that, I really don't care anymore. I just want to be happy and enjoy life - my job is low stress / great pay so for me, that's enough.

16. Konfyouzd

I do and don't see it that. It's becoming more and more evident that I need to find a way to employ myself. :agreed:

17. Sicarius

Sicarius Reggie J Worthington

you do the programming, I'll do the physical build :)

At this point, I want to do more. IT is a hobby, and I'm getting paid to do it, and I love working for a college (plenty of eye candy).

But I'm at a point where I'm getting my Associates, and want to flip everything and take the CNC machining classes and try and get in with some domestic guitar company that does CNC for bodies and necks.

Or just stay where I'm at, pick away at my Bacholer's online, and move on from the community college.

I'm taking the summer and fall off to work, so I can try and figure out what I want to do.

18. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Well back to work again for me today. Leaving for work, knowing I won't be around or see my wife for the next 23 days, is definitely the most difficult part of my job. Everything else is peachy and sometimes awe inspiring still.

I have gotten to blow stuff (rock) up and everything!

19. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

So, I recently realized that I've been at my current place of employment for a year now.

I've learned and grown so much in such a short time frame. I still love it.

20. mhickman2

mhickman2 The Abiding Dude

I've had a rather slow, but steady growth in my career. After a few tries in different areas such as construction, customer service, consulting, mechanics, HVAC, and Electronics; I feel I have vast general knowledge of a lot of things. Job searching is relatively easy due to my versatility, but as mentioned earlier, it is an obstruction which prevents me from doing the things I'm passionate about. I'm in the process of starting a business of my own, which I hope will be much more profitable than the standard 50 hr work weeks. It's going to be extremely challenging though.