Your Career - How Do You Feel About It?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Konfyouzd, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

This may be in the wrong section, and if so would someone kindly help a brotha out?

I'm just curious how many folks are happy in their careers. I recently joined the working world about 3 years ago and I came in knowing I wasn't going to be doing "exactly" the job I had in mind going into college. It just doesn't seem realistic in my mind.

It seems a lot of my friends had this idealistic view that once they got that piece of paper every employer in their field would be knocking down their door to hire them.

At any rate, there is a friend of mine now that seems to grow increasingly disgruntled with his job. He has been interviewing with other companies and can't seem to get out. Part of me can't help but think that since we've graduated college he hasn't stuck it out even ONE year with any of the companies he's been with. He seems to just jump ship when he decides he doesn't like something.

I find it difficult to believe one could ever be succesful and/or happy in a career when they can't even give any one job a real try...

Anyone out there that isn't a musician that actually enjoys what they do for work? (Didn't mean to single you out musicians, but I'm pretty sure my conversations with y'all in pretty much every other thread shows that you enjoy what you do. Well that and the fact that most of us wish we had that job even as a secondary gig if nothing else. :lol: )

Mattmc74 likes this.
  2. s_k_mullins

s_k_mullins !@#$?!

Although I'm still in the early stages of my career, I do really enjoy it so far. As with any job, I do have my share of frustrating days where nothing seems to go right, but overall I feel happy about the career path I chose. I get a lot of personal satisfaction from my job as well, because it feels rewarding to help others overcome problems.

3. Konfyouzd

That is more or less exactly how I feel. There are days when I don't want to go in because I know some bullshit is waiting for me but I couldn't imagine wanting to do anything else except maybe a rock star, but that's still just a dream for now. :lol:

My friend thinks he doesn't have a career path bc the job he's at isn't geared toward what he ultimately wants. We're 3 - 4 years out of college. I feel like we have time to develop our career path. And from what I undertand some ppl switch CAREERS (not to be confused with jobs) multiple times before settling on one.

Then again I don't really know what else to expect if you just jump ship every time something doesn't go your way. Some of it, to me, is character building. :2c:

4. s_k_mullins

s_k_mullins !@#$?!

I agree with this completely...I live by the rule of "You never know if you don't try." So how can you really know if a job is for you (or career, for that matter) if you never really give it a fair shot. Jumping ship early will get you nowhere.

Sometimes you may have to put up with people or things that make you unhappy, but you have to take the good with the bad. And you just gotta look at the bigger picture of whether or not you'll be satisfied in life with that career path.

But yeah, I still have my days where I wish I could say "Fuck day jobs!" and be a rock star...or a professional chef...or an eccentric millionaire of some sorts. :lol:

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I wouldn't exactly call what I previously did a "career" since it was a high-school job that just managed to stick during my stint at community college, but I fucking hated it because it was one thing : retail. I don't think any person who works front end of retail for more than 3 years will say they're happy with their choice, and in fact are probably some of the most cynical people you'll meet because of that job; I know I am. I started at 16 when I wasn't too cruel or anything as far as I remember, and now I'm fucking sharp-witted and mean to the point of having people worry, and the only thing that's been a constant for the past 5 years was that job. Schools changed, friends went to different places as did the lady-friends, but that job was always the same.

However, now I quit that job to move cross country and pursue animation and game design in part of a state that doesn't deal with snow!

6. s_k_mullins

s_k_mullins !@#$?!

This is so true. And some people work one career for years before switching to another. I went to graduate school with a lady who got tired of being an elementary school teacher and went back to college in her 50s to study speech-language pathology. She just realized she needed a change and totally changed careers in the latter part of her life. Never too late to seek happiness/satisfaction I guess.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  7. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Let's see... LOVED the military... hate government job... now applying to medical schools... so, yup, agree with Mullins... never too late! Do what you love (that will also pay the bills).

Konfyouzd likes this.
  8. Konfyouzd

What are you doing for the gov't currently? I'm a contractor and I feel like that might be as close to the gov't as I want to get. :lol:

9. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

I enjoy my career. In fact, I can't see myself doing anything else with my life.

I write for a living. Nonfiction for work, which is okay, although I'm not in love with nonfiction.

The other half of my career is working on my own writing; horror fiction and fantasy. If all goes well, it will eventually be my full time job and I can stop freelancing and just make my bread as an author.

The reason why I love it is simple; I get to do what I love. I get to use my creativity and people pay me for it. There is no other feeling like knowing that someone thinks your creativity is worth their time and money.

10. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

I'll get back to you in a few months Konfuzyd, I start next week. :lol:

11. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I'm in a relatively unique position in that I'm not exactly crazy about my job, but I love the company I'm working for. I feel lucky to be where I am and so long as I keep working hard and stay loyal, I'm sure they will continue to take great care of me. I've been here 4.5 years so far, am in my third position, and have received pay raises every year I've been here. I'm not talking about dinky 1% raises, either. In these 4.5 years, I've almost doubled my original salary.

The older I get, the more I see work as being a means to an end, rather than an end in itself. It's all about how one chooses to look at the situation. I make more money than I ought to considering I have no degree, I have a set M-F, 9a-5p schedule, I get paid vacations, great benefits, blah blah blah. If my day-to-day kind of sucks sometimes, I figure that's a small price to pay for the quality of life and reduced levels of stress in my downtime that this job affords me.

Prospective employers want to see work history, and they want to see loyalty and dependability from that work history. They're much more likely to hire somebody who spent a great 5 years at a previous job than somebody who's been bouncing around every 6 months to a year trying to find the perfect job right out of the gate. Everybody has to start somewhere.

12. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

I'm 33 years old and I still don't really know what I want to do when I grow up.

I've been in my current field for seven years, and it's a pretty good fit for me, but every job gets frustrating.

I think you need to tell your friend that the grass is not always greener. The next job might suckballs, and maybe he already quit something that could have developed into something great. I hope that makes sense.

13. Konfyouzd

:agreed:

Makes perfect sense. I think some folks just get a little caught up in their own delusions of grandure after having graduated from college and/or seeing what those that came before them were able to achieve in the real world and ignore the fact that very few things are simply handed out. If anything you'd think he would have already realized the grass isn't always greener as he's switched jobs probably 2 or 3 times already only to find he hates the new place just as much as the last. Then again I may have simply befriended someone who will NEVER be happy... :shrug:

It's always sad when that happens. They make a place you already don't *really* want to be even more of a hassle some days.

14. oremus91

oremus91 Melodeth-er

I wouldn't be happy if the job I have was it unless I could move up in the company. I'm still in college but really worried about what will happen after graduation tbh.

15. Konfyouzd

There's always a way to "move up" and a lot of that has to do with self motivation and willingness to do things you might not necessarily want to do all the time. Or so it seems.

16. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

I've been doing IT for about 13 years now. I originally went to school for law and got a degree for pre-law, but decided that computers were where i needed to be.

There are definitely times that I wonder if i made the wrong decision, but i've gotten into a field with extremely portable skills that allow me to essentially work anywhere in the world thanks to standardization.

The pay is good, you just need to hold out for the right gig. When you start though, you usually need to put your trench time in - phone support, general tech support etc....

17. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

I'm an arborist. I get to climb trees for a living. How kooky is that? Course, I usually kill them, but I get my hands on some cool wood sometimes. I guess I really do like my job. It's not for everyone. Im not snuggled up on an office surfing the web all day, but I get to do and see things some people can only imagine.

18. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

I'm currently a contractor. I paint. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I actually find it therapeutic in a way. Sometimes you just don't know where the day's gone by the time you're done. I'm not always guaranteed to have work, but when I do have jobs, I make really good money, especially for a University student. Being self-employed is also pretty sweet. You generally get back what you put in, but you get the occasional douchebag client also. I actually just posted a thread in OT that sort of talks about the stress of being self-employed and a student at the same time.

As for what my actual career will be once I'm done school? I'm going to be a highschool teacher. I could probably make more money if I decided to paint full-time, but I just know that teaching is what I'm going to do and love.

19. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I love my job. I really do. It still doesn't feel like I go to work about 90% of the time. I'm with a great company, have a butt load of perks and benefits, and nearly endless areas of growth available. The pay could be better, but I'm still kinda the "new guy".

I think I'm going to stay in the beer industry for a long time.

20. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Free beer? :jelly: