Your bag? (Jazz)

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by fwd0120, Oct 9, 2013.

1. fwd0120

fwd0120 Bipedal Hominid

Looking to open up my bag of riffs a bit before audition season. Would anybody share their favorite phrases or licks? Also, any good sources (other than just listening, which I do a lot) would also be appreciated.

:hbang:

2. fwd0120

fwd0120 Bipedal Hominid

Bump! :)

3. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

What kinds of tunes will you be playing? I'd guess it really differs if you're going for quite old-school ballads or funky fusion.

4. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

I try not to have a bag, personally. That's only possible to a certain extent - Elliott Sharp once said, I think, that true improvisation could only be performed by complete amnesiacs - but I'd rather respond in real time to the music than have a set of licks that I'm pulling from, even if it's a relatively deep set. Guys like Wayne Krantz have developed this approach to a high degree.

5. iamjosan

iamjosan SS.org Regular

^ I agree completely with celticelk. Just go with the music and play what sounds good. If you want to build your arsenal of licks, create your own. Better to build your own style now than wait later 'til you've already been build by everyone else's.