Your average teen guitar player. Kinda?

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by TauSigmaNova, Dec 15, 2013.

1. TauSigmaNova

TauSigmaNova Guitarist Wannabe.

Hey guys. I'm a 15 year old guitarist from New York City. When I was little I took 2 and a half years of boring piano lessons. Learned basic music stuff like notes/minor and major scales and classical music. Got bored of that and when I was like 8 or 10 I wanted to play guitar. I grew up on classic rock and the likes and was intrigued with it. My parents only got me an acoustic guitar [which sorta bummed be out at the time, but they were right in doing so long term]. It was a 3/4 sized Dean Playmate acoustic and god was it bad. Terrible action, construction, neck joint, etc, pretty much what you'd expect from a sub-100 dollar acoustic. Anyway, I gave that up pretty quickly. Wanted to start playing solos and all that stuff and never wanted to practice. Was very boring for me.

Then, last December, listening to all my favorite bands, I wanted to play guitar again. My cousin had an old electric, a Fender Starcaster which he got a few years ago for guitar lessons in High School and never used. Either way, I bought it off him for 100 dollars, amp and extra strings included, and went to work. I even remember what I learned first: The intro to Queensryche's Jet City Woman and the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine. Good times. I've been plaing for about a year now, maybe a bit less and things have definitely changed since I first started learning music as a little kid.

Right now my current gear is a Schecter Damien Platinum 6 FR I got in November and a Marshall MG15CFX I got a bit earlier and I'm getting a Boss SD-1 for Christmas from my cousin. I have a Starcaster by Fender H-S-S Strat which I have tuned to Drop C# I used to hate it sound wise and playing wise and while the action is a bit high with some fret buzz I've actually grown to like the neck/sound for rhythm playing. [my FR guitar is in E Standard still and I have no problem with that]. The amp that came with my Fender was bad, both soundwise and quality wise. I once was playing it and then tried to pull my cable out from it and long story short the cable wouldnt come out and ended up severing INSIDE the amp. i got rid of it soon after, spent some time playing through my computer using a 1/4-1/8th adapter and a 3.5mm-3.5mm cable as a line in until i got my MG15 which [unlike a lot of people] I actually kinda like for practicing. I recently dumped my old acoustic- the set-neck joint comign apart from the body, the frets rusted, and tuning machines barly working, the whole thing in terrible condition.

I think my next guitar related purchase will be a 6505+ 112 though I'm not sure if I'll get that unless I do actually manage to start a band. In an urban apartment having an amp that loud is almost a sin and while I'm sure I'll love the tone more than my current amp, I won't seem myself being able to play it in the house much. Maybe I'll just get another guitar instead some time.

I play/listen to mostly bands like Queensryche, Skid Row, Metallica, Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold, Alter Bridge, Tesla, Guns N' Roses, and Sabaton. I think the song right now I'm most proud of being able to play is most of Tornado of Souls. I'm about halfway through the solo and the next half is pretty impossible. I practice pretty much everyday for 15-120 minutes a day and I hope my second year playing guitar is as fun, enjoyable, and expansive if not more so than my first. :)

Shawn likes this.
  2. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

Welcome to SSo_Org! :welcome:

Are you interested in a 7 string or did SSo_Org just look like a good forum to join? Either way is cool! Prepare to learn more than you bargained for. :yesway:

3. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Hey! Welcome to the forums!

4. TauSigmaNova

TauSigmaNova Guitarist Wannabe.

Honestly, I mainly joined because it looks like a great forum for all guitar players but I'm definitely not ruling out the possibility of me picking up a seven string one day! still working on improving my six-strijg playing though. baby steps!

Oh, and thanks guys :)