You may have noticed........

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by El Caco, Jul 29, 2008.

1. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

I quit smoking a week ago. This is not the first time I've decided to quit but this time I know it is permanent.

This is the first time I've really wanted it and I feel really good about it. I was in a position of temptation that I never would have been able to resist the other night, I even rolled a cigarette for someone else and I did not want to smoke. I really never want to smoke again, I don't want the expense and I don't want the threat to my health.

It's not to say I have no cravings, I do however they are only habit cravings and I only have them when I am idle, it basically means I have to find something to do or eat otherwise the boredom drives me insane.

I just thought I'd share my excitement with everyone. :D :woot:

Leon, budda, FYP666 and 5 others like this.
  2. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

Smoking sucks.

My dad passed last year from smoking related illness. Imagine, living with emphysema and COPD for 7 years, all the accumulated expense, having pneumonia many, many times, and finally dying from painful, debilitating lung cancer.

Not pretty at all. :(

Good success, Steve. I wish you well. Someone as knowledgeable about health as yourself... well, it was a shock to learn you smoke(d).

3. MrJack

MrJack Paha Arkkitehti

I wish you the best of luck.

I hate it when my friends smoke, besides the smell I hate to see them putting their health at risk. I try to not nag about it but I try to get them to understand what their doing to themselves. It's their life but I'd like to see them stay healthy.

4. El Caco

Thank you. I have been a social smoker for many, many years, I only smoked when I went out and it was usually limited to Cigars. The reasons for taking up smoking full time were complicated and not something I considered lightly. I was aware smoking would have a negative impact on my health, however I was using it to replace something that I believed to be a greater detriment to my health and I discussed it with a doctor first.

Of course I really enjoyed smoking and it soon got to the point of me smoking too much and not wanting to quit.

One thing I am very insistent upon is not giving up living to live longer. Some things are more dangerous and have higher risks involved but you need to get out there and enjoy your life with some things and say to hell with the risk. I am not saying smoking is one of those things but for some people it is.

5. The Dark Wolf

Until the time to pay the bill is due.

Watch someone you care about die from this right in front of you. We all gotta go, but there are way, way better ways to go. Dying from smoking-related illness, and what one's family goes through with it, is just fucking awful. :(

6. El Caco

I understand what you are saying and I respect your feelings about the subject, I imagine I would feel the same in your position.

7. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

How goes it? :)

8. kristallin

kristallin punk'd

Good luck to you! I quit six and a half years ago after having started at 15, and I never looked back. Now I'm working on losing the "eat lots of candy instead of smoking" weight.

9. Josh Lawson

Josh Lawson Banned

I quit smoking weed and drinking many years ago. Something clicked in my brain and I had enough, no more. Smoking and using really can cheapen one's own self worth and also can erode a person's general self esteem.Best of luck to you sir, are you doing completely cold turkey or are you doing the patch/gum/scrip route?

10. El Caco

It going great, thanks. My wife is still smoking and there have been a couple of times when I have had a few draws on one of her cigarettes, I don't know why I did, each time I absolutely hated it. The strange thing is the smell never bothered me before I started smoking and even when I was only a social smoker I enjoyed the taste, now that I have quit I can not stand the smell taste or any part of smoking.

I am over the eating lots of candy instead, I've been slack with my diet and training and I really should get back into it now but despite the constant bingeing early on and the twice a week pig out I have been having, I have put on less than a KG and I have not replaced smoking with a new addiction. As you can imagine I am very happy with how this is going.

Congrats on quitting yourself. Yeah I went cold turkey except that I ate heaps of candy to help with the cravings. I thought I would really suffer and I had very little faith in myself TBH however I must say that I am relieved how easy it turned out to be. Yeah sure there has been I think 3 occasions where aI had a few puffs but I think I can still claim success and I think the key has been my attitude, I really wanted to quit this time and I think this is the first time I really wanted to quit.

11. FYP666

FYP666 Kick The Gates Open

Nice Steve, CONTARTZ :agreed:

I haven't been smoking for 7 months now, and i feel great :yesway:

12. The Dark Wolf

I haven't been smoking for 13 years now and I feel great!

13. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

congrats steve :)

im not a smoker, so i cant relate.

im sure you'll do it :)

14. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

My mom is going back to the doctor on monday to have some tests done to see if she has lung cancer. I'm really worried about her! She stopped smoking a bout 2 weeks ago because she had to, having a really hard time breathing.

Congrats to all of you who have stopped!

15. El Caco

Positive thoughts coming your way Matt, it's great that she has quit and hopefully those tests will indicate no cancer and the damage the smoking has caused will repair with healthy living and time.

Mattmc74 likes this.
  16. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

woo! i quit years ago myself, but then, i only smoked for about a year.

17. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

Congrats, and good luck! It's a disgusting habit, to say the very least. :yesway:

18. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

:yesway: Thanks Bro!!!!!!

19. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Congrats on quitting! Few things better than to kick that habit.
    I quit a few weeks ago too, it was a good feeling, but I smoked only 4-5 days a week, and usually only 2-3 per day (sometimes heaps more at parties though).
    Getting into some fitness routines really helped me, and brought up my self esteem a bit too.