You know what they say about guys with big hands... they're shit at guitar?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by sPliNtEr_777, Jun 18, 2008.

1. sPliNtEr_777

sPliNtEr_777 SS.org Regular

I have big hands, I can span the first to the eighth fret on a jumbo fretted guitar, but when it comes to the little frets at the top end I struggle. For instance, I was playing second finger on the 12th fret (A string- standard tuning), first on 11th and fouth on 14th in a sort of arpeggiated pattern today, but I incessantly hit the 15th instead of the 14th with my fourth finger cuz my hand is too big to bunch up over the 4 fret spread. It feels too uncomfortable to play the 14th with my third finger and too uncomfortable to scrunch up my hand to hit the 14th with my fourth finger.

Am I doing something wrong, do I need to practice more, or do I just have big hands and put up with it?
    :scratch: Must be my technique, is it??? :scratch:

2. TimSE

TimSE Contributor

i have the same problem somtimes

i use my little finger
    but sometimes i find it easyer to my 3rd

dont think its bad technique. just gotta find ur middle ground

3. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

Its a combination of practice and dealing with what you've got. At the same time, there are people with small hands who think they cant play guitar, because of the stretches they cant reach, but it never stopped Michael Romeo, similarly, theres some huge guys with massive hands that have no problem whatsoever.

I myself have quite large hands, and I just use whichever fingering works the best.

4. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

You just have to do what i do:

Not care.

;)

5. arktan

arktan Icnomptenent

I second that....
    But if everything phails, you can try out a 27" bari or even a 30", that could widen the space between the frets a bit (the difference on a 27" though isn't huge but it's maybe that tiny bit you need...)

6. Scali

Scali Banned

I suppose you should just practice that sort of thing more, until you get used to it and it becomes more comfortable.
    Or just not use that sort of stuff very often :)

I have that with large stretches, eg when tapping arpeggio's somewhere low on the fretboard. I can do the stretches, but if I play that sort of stuff for too long, it gets uncomfortable. So I just use it sparingly.

7. Celiak

Celiak SS.org Regular

I have small hands, I can only spread my hand from 1 to 6 on my Loomis, yet I need that extra scale to feel comfortable. Maybe you do need a longer scale, even longer than what is considered extended.

8. sPliNtEr_777

sPliNtEr_777 SS.org Regular

I've always considered a baritone but never bought one, perhaps now is the time. If only ESP still made "the grynch" :( , I gots grynch GAS!

9. Luan

Luan SS.org Regular

wow, I never heard of that problem.
    See if that gets better with practice, I don't know.

10. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

I too have big hands and found my Septor 27 to have the perfect spacing higher up. Before I could barely play somethings but now I can. Try a baritone.

11. Jongpil Yun

Jongpil Yun Contributor

If I had bigger hands I'd go for a baritone anyways, since they just sound better.

Go for it.

12. InTheRavensName

InTheRavensName Dog says yes ^.^ Yes

Practice some spider exercises ( 4321 or similar descending/ascending across the fretboard) but instead of starting at the 1st fret start at the 12th. That helped me, and I have pretty big hands.

13. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

I've got the same problem. I will be changing from a 25.5" scale neck to a 30" scale one (partly) for this reason. The other reason is for better intonation and ability to use smaller strings on my fifths tuned guitar (FCGDAE).