Yoga is spooky to christians

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by possumkiller, Oct 7, 2010.

1. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Southern Baptist leader on yoga: Not Christianity - Yahoo! News

LOL christians. Calmly meditating is spooky? I was raised in a pentecostal church. The preacher will hit you on the forehead and the "power of god" will cause you to fall down. Someone will jump up and start babbling a bunch of bullshit and then someone else will stand up and "translate" what god is trying to tell everyone (if it was god talking wouldnt everyone understand it anyway?). People randomly get up and run around the inside of the building screaming and yelling with the "holy spirit" and fall down and do a half-assed break dance.

Yoga is spooky.

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I'm betting that this thread will end up getting closed. But first, let me relate a story - my mom always went to church on Sunday, and she also teaches Yoga in the evenings and on Saturdays. One year, the church she had gone to for several years decided to have a fitness day, to help promote the body as a temple...my mom volunteered to teach Yoga. Not only did the church say "no, Yoga is not part of God's plan," but they insisted that she stop doing Yoga or stop attending church. :noplease: I'm sure not all Christians feel this way about Yoga, but it's evident that some do.

It's only stretching, posing, and meditating. I'm pretty sure that the lifestyle of being careful about what you put in your body and how you respectfully treat others would be well in line with Jesus's teaching. :shrug:

3. Randy

Randy !ǝɯ ʇɐ ʞooן Super Moderator

Reminds me of something we have going on up near me. The city which serves as the anchor for the rest of the county where I live has been falling apart and there have been empty buildings littering the place for the last 20 years or so. In the last 2 years (give or take) a Buddhist organization has been buying up these properties and some of the local "Christian" organizations have been moving to block the building from being bought, pretty much, because they're creeped out by Buddhists. :rofl:

Silliness.

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

It's sad to say that it seems to me that the stereotypical Buddhist's behaviour seems a lot closer to Jesus's than the stereotypical Christian's. I don't recall any Bible stories about Jesus beating and chaining a gay person to a fence, driving a Ford F3000050, or molesting altar boys... :ugh:

On the other hand, every Buddhist I've ever known (not that I've known more than a handfull) has been very chill and about as annoying as a warm sunny day.

5. possumkiller

I just dont get peoples obsessions with religion period. I mean, its just an ancient form of government. Tell the stories of communism and democracy trying to take over the world, only replace those words with christianity and islam, and youll have the same basic ideas. Its just different forms of government trying to rule mankind. Brainwashing the masses and telling them how bad the other side is. When will people realise that spiritualism has nothing at all to do with religion whatsoever period end of story? People always say dont bring up religion and politics because they are the SAME THING. Religion IS politics. People find a good way to live and be peaceful and loving and then the snakes run away with it and twist it and mold it and shape in into a giant corporate empire that enslaves the people and murders millions while making the snakes rich and powerful.

Anway, sorry about that. Just pisses me off is all. I dont approve of the christian lifestyle. I choose not to be christian. Christian people frighten me.

6. Randy

I've had the same experiences with people of that faith, as well.

To really uncultured hicks, they see Buddhists buying up properties in their backyard as mini "Ground Zero Mosque" for them to go on a rant against. If it's not Christian, it's scary and they don't want it. A lot of people around here actually think Buddhists, Muslims and Hindus are the same thing; which is the other reason they're fighting it so hard. It's pretty disgusting xenophobia at it's worst.

To not get too far OT, I mention this because it all goes back to this fear of far eastern culture we increasingly seem to possess. :noplease:

7. Randy

Also, to possum's post, as a Christian myself, here's how I see it:

[​IMG]

8. possumkiller

Theres a good reason why its increasing. Its called "divide and conquer". They want you to hate things that are different. They want people to be racist, sexist, homophobic, anything that will put you at odds with your fellow humans. Its a lot easier to control us all that way.

EDIT: Your pic isnt working :scratch:

9. Randy

Fixed the link.

My point is that everyone is different and there are a lot of people who've done a lot of bad things in the name of Christianity but in my world... it's about tolerance and compassion. The church groups I've been involved with reach out to other faiths not to convert or condemn them, but to learn things from eachother and work for a common goal (helping people who are underprivileged, etc). Let's face it... it's belief based on a book that's a few thousand years old and is full of fairy tales and a lot of inaccurate historical stuff. Even as a Christian I recognize that and that's grounds for a little bit of humility. There's always going to be room for interpretation when you're working off a text but the way I interpret it... the people in the OP and the people I mentioned in my post have it all wrong. :2c:

10. possumkiller

Well put.

11. daemon barbeque

daemon barbeque Banned

How can something like Yoga freak out someone???
    I mean , this is the most chilly thing. It should make people get chilly, not freaky!

12. Guitarman700

Guitarman700 SS.org Regular

I just freaking love this picture so much, It sums up the Hypocrisy of modern Christianity so well.

13. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

I can respect intelligent Christians you mind their own business and have more than a 4th grade reading level. Unfortunately, they are few and far between, and most of the examples I've seen of them are on this board :lol: Of course, I've also seen examples of the other kind here as well.... but luckily they're gone now :lol:

14. IDLE

IDLE SS.org Regular

That would have been a lot funnier with some death metal.

15. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

This is the closest I could find :lol:

16. Randy

I'd contend that that's an issue with people in general these days. :lol:

17. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I kid you not, when I read the thread title, I read it as saying "Yoda is spooky to christians."

[​IMG]

"Spooky, am I to you?"

18. Randy

19. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

:lol: Me too! (and as far as I know, for some people being a Jedi is kind of a religion)
    But, to be honest, I do not expect anything else from people who use their xenophobia and own hunger for power as main religious inspiration. Isn't there a meeting of "scientists" these days where they discuss "proofs" for the geocentric system? I mean, we all know that the world is flat, homosexuality is an illness (that can be cured, trust us!), condoms are an invention of the devil himself, among other things.
    However, Yoga, if you see it as more than "streching and meditating" sure has a connection to a system of believes which differs from that of the catholic (or whatever other christian) church. And I can believe that some people may find the chanting disturbing or spooky. But saying that practising Yoga will lead to being possessed by demons is just hilarious.
    EDIT: btw: Perfect picture Randy.

20. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Funny fact about the whole flat earth theory, the general consensus has actually been that the earth was round since before Christ was born, but for some reason, every few hundred years, the current generation feels compelled to point out that people of times past (distant times, but not TOO distant times) thought the earth was flat, in order to reinforce the idea of "how far we've come." The same people, however, still accepted the idea of a Geocentric Universe until the 16th Century.