Yet another studio monitor recommendation thread

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by thetourist, Oct 2, 2018.

1. thetourist

thetourist SS.org Regular

I'm looking at budget studio monitors to use with a Fractal AX8, mainly for just playing at home in a medium-ish-sized room. Would buying a two-way set of the usual suspects (JBL LSR305, Yamaha HS5, ADAM t5v) be better than say a cheaper two-way set like the Eris 3.5/Mackies combined with a dedicated budget subwoofer? If not, what subwoofers+monitor combo might you fine gentlemen recommend?

Thanks!

2. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

JBL, Yamaha, Adam, Focal. I wouldn't touch any other brands as far as low budget monitors go. A sub isn't really necessary for what you're doing. but also as others have said, in past threads, a guitar cab with a power amp is a more flexible way to use the axe fx as a dedicated guitar rig.

thetourist likes this.
  3. thetourist

thetourist SS.org Regular

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

4. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Budget?

Will you be recording and mixing with the same setup?

If you want to plug the AX8 into something to jam, the best bet is a power amp and a cab. Even a 1x12 cab is going to sound better in the room than any monitors.

Next best would be a proper FRFR speaker for modellers, such as the Line6 Powercab:
    https://blog.andertons.co.uk/learn/what-is-an-frfr-speaker-cabinet

As for studio monitors, bigger speakers will generally be louder, have better bass etc. And if you're not concerned about "accuracy" for mixing, just get something like the KRK Rokit 8 monitors. If you're after accuracy, that's a different question and you need to take lots of things into consideration like treating your room, putting the monitors on stands etc. I'm assuming you just want to plug in your AX8 and make a bunch of noise for fun.

5. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

If you're not recording/mixing, I agree you should check out the L6 Powercab.

If you are recording/mixing and a good price-to-quality point is a concern, I'd try to get a cheap set of used Focals or Dynaudios off Reverb.