Yamaha AESRS7

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by zimbloth, Jul 1, 2007.

1. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

This guitar is fairly unpopular, because of its odd looks and the fact no one's ever got to play one ($2500 price tag/scarce availability). Something about it appealed to me though. I've played basically every 7-string to ever exist, this one definitely was different.

Let's face it, we as 7-stringers don't have many options. The vast majority of production 7-strings are black, basswood or mahogany, limited to a few shapes, etc. There's not many "high-end" 7's out there with alder bodies, maple fret-boards, locking tuners, custom pickups, with a 26.25 scale, etc. So, when I saw one of these at such a low price I figured "what the hell?". That was a very wise decision on my part.

I've had this guitar for a month or two now, and every day with it has been nothing but a pleasure. It has a fast, comfortable neck, loads of sustain, very snappy but full and singing tone, etc. I will say I did not get on with the custom DiMarzio Air Norton-ish pickup, I immediately replaced it with a Seymour Duncan Custom (SH-5). Much better. Now this guitar sounds absolutely BRUTAL. The combination of the maple neck, maple fretboard, alder body and bolt-on construction definitely sounds like a recipe for over the top brightness - but that's not really the case. It's definitely very bright, but with the huge, low middy Duncan Custom in the mix, it's a perfect marriage of articulation and balls.

I also really like how the guitar looks in person. The entire guitar including the fretboard is painted in this kind of dark metallic burgundy, with silver inlays/pickguard that compliments it well. The LSR-ish locking tuners are extremely stable and smooth, work perfectly. The nut, fretwork, string-thru bridge, controls, etc all are very solid.

Playability wise, the neck has some thickness to it, but it's no Schecter. It reminds me of the Jackson COW neck, only a little flatter and a bit wider. It really shreds. The guitar is perfectly balanced standing up too. Access to the upper frets is easy. It has 24 frets.

This is just an excellent sounding and playing guitar. If you can get past it's peculiar looks and the lack of a neck pickup, you'll be rewarded with a completely unique and incredible guitar. This has become my main player at rehearsals/home for the last month or 2. It loves my VHT, such a musical yet brutal and in your face tone :wub: I do wish it had a neck pickup though.

I guess that's about it. This was a disorganized and sloppy review, but I decided to just roll with my thoughts instead of preparing a articulate piece. If you ever see one of these around, which is a rarity, give one a shot, you will love it. If not, I will buy it from you :)

Click here for some photos of this guitar.

2. amonb

amonb Les Pauls forever Contributor

I now own this guitar and can't agree with Z's review more. I have played this thing for about a week now and it has a tone all it's own (no doubt the bright woods have a lot to do with this, my other 7 is a c7, mahogany, and couldn't sound more dissimilar)

The neck is much slimmer than the C7, but nowhere near the thickness of the 7321 i have played. It is just the right in-between for me.

Everything has been said in the review, I highly recommend this guitar, despite its limitations (single pickup). :hbang:

3. JHyper7

JHyper7 SS.org Regular

I have two of these guitars... a Black one that I bought in '06 and a Rusty Red One that I bough in '07. For the last 1 and a 1/2, they've been my weapon of choice.

4. hutchman

hutchman El' Lamo

No way. Shit guitar. My friend has one and every time I play it, it seem to be worse. Bad review, Bad bad review.

5. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

It's not a bad review at all dude. Maybe your friend's guitar is setup like shit and needs some work? Maybe it has the shitty stock pickup which I immediately replaced? Maybe it has dud strings on it? It was a really great guitar man. Perhaps your buddy's one isn't, but that doesn't change the fact mine was awesome.