Yakuza series, any fans?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Bloody_Inferno, May 31, 2017.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I'm really late to the party with this series, and I didn't even start at the beginning and jumped straight to Yakuza 4 just a few weeks ago. :ugh:

Normally, I wouldn't start a thread, but thanks to the backstory provided, I'm completely invested. :lol: Basically picking up where Shenmue left off, but went and became a rather long series. Dunno if I'll get to Yakuza 0 any time soon.

I like the simple fighting game engine, reminds me of The Bouncer but more fun and hillarious. My only gripe is the Japanese style of completionism, where I often forget about the main plot due to being preoccupied by the numerous unconnected sidequests and collectables the game doesn't tell you until you stumble over them. I had the same problem with Xenoblade. I can't take the plot seriously either (not a bad thing) and I spent way too much time with Akiyama's hostess training...

So anyone else here play through this series?

2. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

4 was the first one I played as well. I didn't do much of the sidequests though as at the time I was just blasting through games that I'd bought but never played. Enjoyable story, little long on the cutscenes, but they served a purpose. And them giving you a section on the menu for the story lines of Yakuza 1-3 certainly helped, especially considering the first two Yakuza games are kinda rare here in the states.

I have 3 and Dead Souls on the shelf (and 5 from PSN) but I still haven't played any of them. 3 I read alot about them just gutting most of the sidequests (and some main quest story/exposition) when it was localized over here in the states so I doubt I'll get much enjoyment out of it. I looked into importing a Japanese copy but the prices at the time put it just out of my normal buying range.

I've read that Zero has a few "localization" quirks as well, but more in the way of modern day memes inserted into a game set in 1980s Japan. Localization is in quotes because from I can tell most of the meme references are in the original Japanese release also. And as much as I hate shit like that it seems to be in the sidequests and not the main quest line, thankfully.

3. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I have 4 and 5 sitting on my PS3 forever since they were free at various points, but never touched them. Then I got Yakuza 0 pretty much on a whim around the time it came out, and I'm now a fan and can't wait for Yakuza Kiwami to come out.
    Probably doesn't help that I've just been majorly into all things Japanese lately. But man, Yakuza 0 is such a fun time.

4. Bloody_Inferno

You're on time as just by playing a bit, Yakuza is as Japanese as it gets. :lol:

The attention to detail of portraying modern day Tokyo is faithfully on point and all the culture induced into the mini games (karaoke, hostess dating, Club Sega) is just utterly nutterly butterly. The game actually made me miss Japan even more, and got me hungry for the food.

I guess the fact that the series being immersed in the culture is what made localizing rather interesting.

I will say it's refreshing to have a 'very Japanese' Japanese game have mostly brick faced ugly mofos, and even uglier NPCs. Maybe I've played too many JRPGs and shonen games, and I'm just reacting to a nice change.

5. Bloody_Inferno

Ok 2/5ths deep in Yakuza 5. Still haven't bothered to get Zero nor Kiwami yet...

The series as a whole is quite the paradox. The games get same-y after long periods, but each game throws in a few new unique features, that really may the Yakuza experience so fun. Sure the Kamurocho, Osaka and all maps are the same per game, and after a while the amount of face stomping, bicycle beadowns and random skill test sidequests get repetitive, but even the span between 2 games (in my case between 4 and 5, skipped Dead Souls), you're thrown in a ton of new minigames altogether.

I thought Yakuza 4 had plenty of variety in between the 4 playable characters, but 5 took leaps and bounds and expands so much that it feels like 5 separate games. Kiryu gets a Taxi subgame that not only commutes random NPCs, but turns into Initial D (J-Trance and all) racing street thugs. :lol: Driving mechanics aren't too sophisticated but whatever, you can still drift. Saejima's sub is a hunting game that throws all the mechanics out the window for stealth (a trait that sounds like it doesn't belong in the series). Haruka (finally gets to be playable) takes it even much further. As her arc involves becoming an Idol, all combat is replaced with rhythm game dance offs and singalongs like the karaoke minigame (but with Heat), which are actually both challenging and fun. It's jarring as hell going through each of the characters but the plot and settings are what keeps everything together.

Hell even the Hostess dating subquests got revamped. It's funny now you can walk your date around the neighborhood, and hilarious when she cheers you on whenever you get into a face stomping scuffle. And even more hilarious now that Saejima (being the big ugly scowling prison escapee) can date and sing karaoke (denied in the previous game), because it's fun hearing him cheer his date and sing along. :lol:

Regarding the localization quirks, 5 really drew attention to the different dialects of each prefecture, which was always a nightmare to be translated to the Western audience. So all Osaka natives speak with YA instead of YOU. But as stated it's only a minor quibble.

6. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I'm was playing 0 and it went to the shelf, but then I picked it back up, and I have Kiwami waiting in the wings. But other things have decided to pop up. I'm looking at you, Monster Hunter World and Shadows of the Colossus.
    And speaking of which, when I went to pick up Colossus last night, I put a preorder on Yakuza 6. Specifically the Premium Edition. Because that drink set looks badass.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

I haven't played a yakuza since the 3rd one but I hear great things about the more recent games.

8. Bloody_Inferno

I'm waiting on Yakuza 6 just for the fact that a port of the latest update of Virtua Fighter 5 (never released outside Japan) available in Club Sega. :lol:

Even I've finished 4 and 5, there's still a ton of stuff more to do. I've been completely enamored in the Karaoke minigames, and I've realized I've spent an ungodly amount of time just to get a decent score...

Also Goro Majima > *

Shame that is only available in Dead Souls, but having him available in 0 and onwards is great.