Yakuza series, any fans?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Bloody_Inferno, May 31, 2017.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I'm really late to the party with this series, and I didn't even start at the beginning and jumped straight to Yakuza 4 just a few weeks ago. :ugh:

Normally, I wouldn't start a thread, but thanks to the backstory provided, I'm completely invested. :lol: Basically picking up where Shenmue left off, but went and became a rather long series. Dunno if I'll get to Yakuza 0 any time soon.

I like the simple fighting game engine, reminds me of The Bouncer but more fun and hillarious. My only gripe is the Japanese style of completionism, where I often forget about the main plot due to being preoccupied by the numerous unconnected sidequests and collectables the game doesn't tell you until you stumble over them. I had the same problem with Xenoblade. I can't take the plot seriously either (not a bad thing) and I spent way too much time with Akiyama's hostess training...

So anyone else here play through this series?

2. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

4 was the first one I played as well. I didn't do much of the sidequests though as at the time I was just blasting through games that I'd bought but never played. Enjoyable story, little long on the cutscenes, but they served a purpose. And them giving you a section on the menu for the story lines of Yakuza 1-3 certainly helped, especially considering the first two Yakuza games are kinda rare here in the states.

I have 3 and Dead Souls on the shelf (and 5 from PSN) but I still haven't played any of them. 3 I read alot about them just gutting most of the sidequests (and some main quest story/exposition) when it was localized over here in the states so I doubt I'll get much enjoyment out of it. I looked into importing a Japanese copy but the prices at the time put it just out of my normal buying range.

I've read that Zero has a few "localization" quirks as well, but more in the way of modern day memes inserted into a game set in 1980s Japan. Localization is in quotes because from I can tell most of the meme references are in the original Japanese release also. And as much as I hate shit like that it seems to be in the sidequests and not the main quest line, thankfully.

3. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I have 4 and 5 sitting on my PS3 forever since they were free at various points, but never touched them. Then I got Yakuza 0 pretty much on a whim around the time it came out, and I'm now a fan and can't wait for Yakuza Kiwami to come out.
    Probably doesn't help that I've just been majorly into all things Japanese lately. But man, Yakuza 0 is such a fun time.

4. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

You're on time as just by playing a bit, Yakuza is as Japanese as it gets. :lol:

The attention to detail of portraying modern day Tokyo is faithfully on point and all the culture induced into the mini games (karaoke, hostess dating, Club Sega) is just utterly nutterly butterly. The game actually made me miss Japan even more, and got me hungry for the food.

I guess the fact that the series being immersed in the culture is what made localizing rather interesting.

I will say it's refreshing to have a 'very Japanese' Japanese game have mostly brick faced ugly mofos, and even uglier NPCs. Maybe I've played too many JRPGs and shonen games, and I'm just reacting to a nice change.