XxJoshxX's 2013 Home Depot Challenge Build

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by XxJoshxX, Aug 31, 2013.

1. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Djentleman

So, I'm really excited about competing this year, so I'm starting my thread early, I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of a JEM but I might leave the middle pickup out, I'll use a beat up old Ibanez licensed Floyd, If that counts as ' repurposed '. It'll be a neck-thru ish construction , My home depot only sells 3/4 inch pieces of wood so I bought an 8 foot long piece of pine , so the neck and top will all be the same piece, but there will be another layer on the bottom to get a 1.5 inch thickness, finish options are still wide open.

Good luck to everyone else competing, this is gonna be really fun.

Sofos and soliloquy like this.
  2. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp Ormsby nutter

Nice one dude.
    Are you still gonna rock this headstock?
    [​IMG]

3. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Djentleman

Yeah, I forgot to mention that, I'm using one of the headstocks from the Ormsby hypemachine run,(Ormsby Guitars - Custom Guitars from Perth, Western Australia - Electric Guitars, Handmade Guitars... the worlds best guitar!)but, I'm trying to use all left over parts from other projects and since I don't have any lefty/ reverse headstock tuners, I'm un-reversing it so its compatible with normal tuners.Version B.
    [​IMG]

4. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Djentleman

since the contest has officially started, ill start gluing up some wood, yes, right now.pics in the morning

5. Superwoodle

Superwoodle Chris Woodle

6. tommychains

tommychains That Guy

It has begun :cool:

7. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Djentleman

Pics,pics,pics,pics
    Body blanks glued up with TiteBond I.
    0901130907.jpg
    The join on the front is alright, but the one that will be on the inside isn't very great.
    0901130907a.jpg
    This is the join that will be on the back, it looks bad in the picture, but that's only because I didn't bother wiping the glue off when it was wet, It actually looks just as good if not better than the one on the front.
    0901130908.jpg
    One of the bad seams on the back side of the front (if that makes any sense),but it's going to be avoided on both sides.
    0901130908b.jpg
    A bad seam on the outside of the back piece, but the shape doesn't come anywhere close to it, the line you see isn't really the shape
    0901130908a.jpg
    I'm trying to get the fretboard slotted in the next couple hours

8. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Djentleman

I was ready to slot my fretboard, so I used FretFind2d and taped up a couple pieces and glued them to my fretboard, I was halfway done when i noticed something...
    [​IMG]
    Look in the middle of the page, i didn't overlap the pages to the right line, So the whole board was screwed...

But, I found a piece of home depot red oak that i had tried cerusing (cerucing?), so i started to sand it back and decided to slot it, 24 frets, sorry for sideways pic.
    [​IMG]
    So later I will sand it off.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. muffinbutton

muffinbutton knows the muffin man

I like that fretboard. I like just about anything with a ceruse finish.

10. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Djentleman

Ill sand it back to normal, then after its attached to the neck, i'll stain it black and sand it back

11. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Djentleman

I didnt want to use any templates for the body this time (except for pickups of course.)
    So I started by rough cutting the back of the body on the jigsaw
    [​IMG]
    Front view
    [​IMG]
    After an hour or 3 on the drum sander on my drill press
    [​IMG]
    then i started on the bigger piece, i started to rough cut it , then i realized i needed to route for the truss rod, so i used a yard stick as a straight edge, and it actually worked pretty well

[​IMG]
    Of course the one part i messed up on will be showing at the headstock
    [​IMG]
    then i started shaping the headstock on the spindle sander
    [​IMG]
    Then i started routing the edges of the neck using the yardstick again, I was a little too confident in my routing skills and thought "The router wont tip, Ill keep it straight", I was dead wrong, I had gotten done with one side of the neck and was just doing one last pass to clean up the edges, i let go of the router in one hand so i could turn it off and BOOM! The router tilts and skids and takes a couple chunks out of the side.:mad:
    [​IMG]
    Its not that bad
    [​IMG]
    You think I would learn from my mistakes, but i was really mad and just kept routing, once again i go to turn it off, the exact same thing happens :wallbash:
    [​IMG]
    After that I had a fantasy football draft and i was so mad i had to stop working. But i did try to fill the .... ups with some epoxy/sawdust
    [​IMG]
    I will re route them and they shouldn't be too visible when the neck is carved.
    I'm going out to dinner so there wont be any more progress today

12. muffinbutton

do you have one of those routers with the on off switch at the top instead of a trigger?

13. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Djentleman

Yeah and It sucks ( not the router, just the switch), I would so buy a new one if I had money, My job of mowing the lawn once a week doesn't pay much and i think my dad fired me today.

14. RV350ALSCYTHE

RV350ALSCYTHE SS.org Regular

I have the same old type and have chewed up wood trying to turn it off after a pass.

It's a tough metal toggle switch too, takes a little force to flick it.

15. muffinbutton

try getting a router table for it. not sure how effective or safe this is but couldn't you take it away from what you're routing and then turn it off?

16. RV350ALSCYTHE

RV350ALSCYTHE SS.org Regular

It is hard to lift the router straight up while it is running without causing more damage. Once it is floating off the face of the work it is easier for the bit to catch the wood and wobble the router in your hands and gouge much worse.
    I found it safest for me and the wood to finish the pass, stop and hold the router steady and flick it off, wait for it to stop completely and then lift it away from the work.

Starting a new pass was just as difficult, the router has a kick to it on startup. Can't start the router while it is sitting in the channel with all the weight on the bit.

Had to start it away from the work, then carefully insert it into the channel to deepen it.

17. muffinbutton

yikes. my router has a trigger but i'd be scared to do something like that.

18. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Djentleman

My problem was that when i let go to turn it off, my left hand wasnt holding tight enough and it just kinda tilted

19. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Djentleman

I have a table but when i use it i feel like i dont have any control of the router and i may leave a finger hanging over the edge. The last body i build i routed with a template and i felt like if the router jumped or something i would have no control of stoppling the body from flying across my garage ( which almost happened).

20. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Djentleman

So, i finished shaping the headstock
    [​IMG]
    Ill use the bottom as template for the top
    [​IMG]
    Top half routed
    [​IMG]
    Finished routing with only a little tearout
    [​IMG]
    The tearout actually just stays within the line of an actual jem, ill sand it out later.
    [​IMG]
    Here's where i fixed the neck, It doesnt look great but its actually straight
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mmmmmmmmmm.......
    [​IMG]
    Sanded down what will be glued together
    [​IMG]
    Little bit of clamping
    [​IMG]
    Spread some glue, i ended up using a lot more then that
    [​IMG]
    Aand....CLAMP
    [​IMG]Since I only have 4 clamps this was really hard and there are going to be alot of caps on the sides that ill have to fill.