Xbox One

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by RustInPeace, May 21, 2013.

1. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Who cares? I hate ads, but the ads I'm going to see might as well be targeted to me. They have a box that's smart enough to identify things like how you react to an event or how many people you play with. While I have doubts that it's going to useful data, if they want to throw this in a giant regression model along with how often you play, what games you're playing, your age or gender, etc, ....why care? I'm more angered that people make leaps from "collects data on you" to "Big Brother" than I am about a company selling statistics on how you use their devices.

Google makes searches better by collecting data about you, Netflix (tries) to make movie recommendations better by collecting data about you. You know what doesn't collect enough data about me? My cable TV. That's why I have to listen to dozens of tampon, dementia, and proactive commercials every night. If my TV could measure my expression of disgust when middle-aged women walk along a beach talking about that not-so-fresh feeling, maybe I wouldn't have to sit through it 10 minutes of such irrelevant commercials a night.

flint757 likes this.
  2. GazPots

GazPots Is A Complete Idiot.

:ugh: Could of turned ugly. Fast. :ugh:

3. Cloudy

Cloudy Dunvegan Guitars Contributor

I should rephrase. At some point in time you must have an internet connection to sign into steam, that is a fact. Poor example on my part, my bad.

Either way I think I'll be grabbing the Xbox one over the playstation. I've been watching a lot of gameplay trailers and think I'll be happier with the xbox exclusives. :agreed: Knack for the PS4 looks cool though, I use to be into those ratchet and clank style games but its passed me now.

4. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Microsoft dropped the 24 hour login requirement several months ago. They also dropped having the Kinect hooked up as a requirement (although it still ships with Kinect).

5. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

I'm bothered lol. For the prices they're charging for these consoles and the amount of time they've had to work on them (not to mention the experienced engineers and expertise at work), there is simply no excuse for all the problems/limitations/issues/drawbacks/whatever you want to call them. Maybe it's the fact that I'm the consumer this time around (when the 360 came out I was under mommy and daddy's roof and it was a gift, so "it's the cool new system" was convincing enough for me) and I've put a lot more time and thought into where my dollar is going, but to me the label "Next-Gen" for these consoles is like Kim Jong Un saying North Korea is the supreme, single greatest country on earth. The credentials just aren't there to make such claims. :2c:

edit: honestly I'm not getting on either ship until they prove to me that they're worth the investment.

6. Xaios

To all things "next-gen technology" related, I say this:

[​IMG]

7. F1Filter

F1Filter Contributor

8. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

I've just finished reading a few reviews on both the PS4 and Xbone. A common denominator on both consoles, especially the Xbone, is that they are great consoles with a hefty potential and lots of thing that need to get ironed out. To be expected at a launch, of course. I do wonder what will come to light in the upcoming months.

9. Cloudy

Aye, I always like to sit out the launch and see how each console unfolds. Despite the fanboy battle between the two they both present extreme potential for this generation and I have no doubt it'll be exceptional on both sides given the scale of each consoles community and the current output they're presenting in terms of new console content and video game releases. :agreed:

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

It's midnight on the east coast. Anyone got their consoles yet?

11. Cloudy

Todays the day, time to see if Xbox has a successful launch and if they're going to get my money :)

12. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

I watched the launch thing on TV. Geoff Keighley was there. It was terrible.

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

I didn't watch the Xbox one, but if it was as bad as the PS4 one, then I'm glad I didn't miss anything.

14. Muzakman

Muzakman SS.org Regular

I love the classic "Why is the xbox360 called the xbox 360? because when you see it you turn 360 degrees and walk away from it!" hahah I love fails

15. Xaios

Just to get it out of the way, I'm not going to be buying either console at launch.

Based on what I've seen of both consoles so far (irrespective of the games currently available for them), the Xbox One appeals to me more than the PS4. The PS4 has a lot of great things going for it too, being slightly more potent in the hardware department and having what looks to be one of the best controllers ever conceived. The XB1 though appears to be a more ready to be integrated into a true A/V system, and also appears to be more forward-thinking than the PS4.

Granted, what will make the difference in the end is the games.

16. ncfiala

ncfiala Silence you bastard

My Xbox One is currently sitting in my trunk along with an extra controller and play and charge kit, Ryse, Super Mario 3D World for Wii U, and A Link to the Past for 3DS. Its gonna be a long day at work.

17. Cloudy

Man I bet its going to be a long day! lol.

Going to be a long few weeks waiting till after X-Mas to buy an Xbox One.

18. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I just got a PS3 2 years ago, I'm in no hurry whatsoever to get a PS4 just yet. From what I've read on IGN, it appears that the XBOne is suffering from a number of hardware failures.

Xbox One Early Adopters Reporting Hardware Problems - IGN

A few of the reasons I've never bought a system at launch :

1. Price 2. The available games are both limited and expensive. 3. As demonstrated by the XBOne, there could be hardware issues related to production that need to be fixed.

I feel bad for anyone who stood in line for a couple of hours, dropped well over $500 for a system & games and once they get home, plug it in and it won't work.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah, I've been reading about the failures. Seems like a bad batch of BluRay drives.

20. Maggai

Maggai Slayer of the gods

there are issues with ps4's as well. There's always some issues with these consoles at launch...