Xbox One

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by RustInPeace, May 21, 2013.

1. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Ryse looks brutal. I might be getting one of these for XBL purposes.

There was a demo model set up at Gamestop, but they didn't seem to have any controllers connected :/

2. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

I know this has probably been over done but the way Microsoft tried to F**K people and thought people would love it, just doesn't sit well with me at all, I'm sticking with Sony.

3. Cloudy

Cloudy Dunvegan Guitars Contributor

I dont think it was extremely ludicrous for them to have attempted to instate the policies that upset so many people. It was really not much different than Steam which people praise to the grave currently. Although I disagree with the policies 150% because .... that they really got a lot more hate then they deserved, they listened to their customers and backed down on most of them. Bravo if you ask me.

I'm not buying a console for 'fanboy' reasons, I just prefer the launch titles xbox is throwing out.

4. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

The launch stuff looks really good. Ryse, Crimson Dragon, FIFA 14, Dead Rising 3... isn't there a new Forza out as well?

5. JoshuaVonFlash

It's not similar to Steam on Steam you can play offline 24/7, while on Xbox One you have to log in every 24 hours online.

6. Cloudy

Cloudy Dunvegan Guitars Contributor

You can't sign into steam offline though, principle fact is that at some point you need to be online.

7. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Steam actually did get a lot of shit for their program/policies for many years. Only in recent years has their reputation been so stellar.

It was blown out of proportion for sure, but their approach in enacting the policies was flawed and their reaction/response was even worse. Truth is they didn't have to get rid of anything they were going to do. It needed some altering not a complete makeover. They could have easily kept it so people could do offline and online, but instead they got their panties in a bunch about it claiming it's an all or nothing deal.

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

From what I've read, Valve is trying to fix Steam to where offline mode can be permanent.

9. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

And it's not quite a fair comparison, since until the Steam Boxes are released, if you want to use Steam, you're already using it on your PC. It's reasonable to assume that if someone is running Steam on their PC, they're connected to the internet. Consoles, on the other hand, while it's increasingly common for them to be connected these days, it's not a given. I know I had my 360 for months before I bothered trying to connect it to the internet a single time, and that was just to get the Oblivion DLC, hahaha. At least the XBone will have built-in WiFi (right?) this time. It'd have been EXTRA shitty if they had required an internet connection, but sold the WiFi adaptor separately, like OG Xboxes did, haha.

That said, I have been annoyed by the online requirement for Steam on days when my internet was down for one reason or another. My workaround then was to use my phone as a WiFi hotspot, log in to Steam, sign in to offline mode, then turn off the hotspot.'

EDIT: And again, to be fair, chances are most of the people who were so up in arms against the XBone's potential online requirements were console gamers, not PC gamers who use Steam.

10. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

^ 360 slim had built in wifi

11. Sicarius

Sicarius Reggie J Worthington

Yeah the Slim and new E versions (XBOne lookalikes) have it built in, but for the longest time it was an 80$ adapter.

12. JoshuaVonFlash

There's no need to sign into Steam when your offline as long nothing needs an update.

13. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Hence I said "the OG XBoxes."

14. Jzbass25

Jzbass25 SS.org Regular

That is untrue, obviously you need to be online for online features though.

15. Osorio

Osorio SS.org Regular

Not sure if this has been addressed, but I haven't seen it anywhere:

Does the resolution / framerate "issues" that have been popping up bother prospect x1 buyers?

If you are not aware, Dead Rising 3 runs at 720p/30fps, I believe Forza is either 720p/60fps or 1080p/30fps, I don't remember which but there was a debate concerning some aspect of it as really disappointing (aside the fact that it only has 14 tracks), not to mention COD Ghosts being 720p/60fps as well (even though the PS4 version has issues with framerate, the embargo on reviews of COD is only leading people to believe the issue are worse).

I'm asking because I'm not sure I would be particularly bothered, but a lot of people seem to have understood that after 7 years, the "next-gen" would be exclusive 1080p, and the appearance of a lot of sub instances seems to be causing a lot of people on gaming forums to proclaim a jump ship. Does this bother any of my fair SSO fellows as much as?

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Forza is the only 1080p/60FPS game on the Xbox One that I know of.

Honestly, since I'm a bit of a Nintendo guy (although I don't plan on getting an XB1), it doesn't bother me, but it makes me wonder how things will do during the rest of the XB1's lifespan. I mean, if Crytek can't make a 1080p game or the Xbox, it does seem to confirm that it's more difficult to develop for the XB1 than it is the Ps4.

17. Sicarius

Sicarius Reggie J Worthington

From what I've read, the only reason CoD:G was 720/60 was because they didn't have the hardware when they started development. They did what they could to get the framerate to 60, and then made it 720 because they couldn't get it to be 1080/60.

Capcom has said it just wasn't possible for them to get 1080/60 because they couldn't do it without loading screens, and because of how many objects are on the screen.

It seems like BS excuses, honestly. But I'd imagine within the next 6 months or so that the XBOne will see more 1080/60 games come under development

18. ncfiala

ncfiala Silence you bastard

Can't wait to pick mine up in a week. Only game I'm gonna get is Ryse for now.

19. GazPots

GazPots Is A Complete Idiot.

So my COD:Ghosts turned up today and i ain't got a Xbox One to play it on yet.

Sonofabitch. :lol:

20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Yesterday at work we had Dead Rising 3, Black Flag, Need for Speed (I think) and Just Dance 2014 all for XBone come in and supposedly they were supposed to be on the floor. Yeah, no way, not putting out XB1 games the day before the PS4 releases to deal with all those rabid fans.