WTB - Looking for a Cheap acoustic

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by The Q, Oct 3, 2014.

1. The Q

The Q The Engineer

Hi everyone,

I've decided that I want to buy an acoustic guitar and am shooting around the ~€500 range. The problem is, I know few things about acoustics compared to what I know from electrics.

So far, the specs I know I want are:
    1) Jumbo body, or derivative - no dreads
    2) A cutaway is a must; I wouldn't want a guitar without (you can tell I'm coming from an electric guitar world),
    3) Preamps and pickups don't matter because I'll use a mic to record. If I could save money and go for an acoustic instead of an acoustic-electric, that'd be great!
    4) I am not sure about woods, I guess a solid top is a given and the rest probably laminates (at this price).
    5) I'm probably going to play with a pick for the majority of the time. The sound I'm looking for is something that has good highs and some tight low end, though it's OK if the bass isn't as well defined - I'd just like to avoid mellow guitars.

I've made some reserach on my own and So far I'm between these two:
    * Cort NDX50: Cort NDX-50 NT - Thomann Greece
    * Takamine GN93CE: Takamine GN93CE-NAT - Thomann UK

I liked the Cort from what little I could found and having an electric from them, I kinda trust them as a brand.
    The Takamine looks similar spec-wise with the addition of the satin neck which is a plus in my book and of course the smaller body. Pickup wise I'd guess that the dual system in Cort would be preferrable, but then again it's of no consequence.

What do you think? Would one of these do the trick or do you have something else to suggest?

2. Ulvhedin

Ulvhedin Phrygianist

I'd get the Takamine over the cort any day.
    You could also look at the acoustics from Alvarez, I think they're my favourite acoustics for the price.

3. The Q

The Q The Engineer

Thanks for the reply. Any particular reasons in for of the one or against the other?

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'd like to know, also. Most likely, the Takamine was made by Cort. :lol:

The Q likes this.
  5. The Q

The Q The Engineer

Really? That's damn interesting. I knew that Cort acts as a subcontractor for many well known companies but somehow, I never made the connection here.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

It was just a guess. :lol: But I wouldn't be surprised.