Writer's Writing Thread, or, Writers Writing about Writing

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by The Reverend, Dec 13, 2011.

1. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Turns out my "Writing for the Short Animation" class is kind of a joke and all we'll be doing are basically 2-3 page scripts, so unless I'm doing side writing on my own projects, nothing major will be updated for me.

2. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

You can't piss on hospitality.

I WON'T ALLOW IT.

3. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I HAVE A BUNCH OF POSTERS TO DESIGN ANYWAYS!

Like, for CLUE and BIOSHOCK STUFF!

:fawk:

4. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Ok, so decided to bump this thread a bit (I hope nobody minds) with a question:
    I really didn't get to write ANYTHING lately. and it's not really a lack of inspiration, but when I get ideas, or inspiration, I'm usually way too lazy to go to the computer and start writing. and naturally, by the time I'll get to my computer I'll forget what I had in mind...
    The obvious reply would be to carry a notebook of some kind, but I don't really see myself do that, honestly... So how do you guys deal with that problem? I just don't usually find myself in the mood to sit in front of a screen and start writing down stuff...

Also, do you ever try and force stuff out? just sit in front of you notebook or computer and try to write something? Not talking about writing duties for school and such, of course...

5. yellow

yellow Banned

Im a writer, just wanted to say hello to my other guitarist/writers. I write shorts, prose, poetry, critiques, analyses, scholarly/academic, some drama/screen, and philosophy/metaphysics. I also am an English professor (American lit). I find writing music and lit to be complimentary.

@ skyblue: yes I force myself, but when I force during a block, I approach it lightly and take many breaks, I never do the exhaustive writing till I cant think of anything else style, if u know what I mean...I also resolve it by getting inspiration from reading, music or film

6. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

Writing is never about being in the mood. If it was, all novels would be half-remembered dreams.

I sit at the computer seven days a week and write. There are days I don't have much to say, or can't seem to say things proper, or I just don't want to write. Still, I write. I think that's the big difference between being a writer and a hobbyist; hobbyists only want to write when it feels good and it's easy. "Forcing" is subjective; I feel I force if I try and write too much during a day, not if I sit down and make myself get going and keep on until my day's work is finished. I guess you might feel you force yourself if you don't feel like writing in the first place. I have no idea. Everyone works differently, unless they aren't getting anything done at all, and in that case they aren't really working, are they?

I'm sorry to say, but the solution to your problem is this: stop being lazy. Get your ass to the computer or suffer losing a potential story.

On another note, I've had five more short stories accepted by various pubs since my last post in this thread. I just haven't posted much here as I'm not one for talking about writing.

For about a month I was taking a day off each week, but it just felt cowardly, and I stopped. I still don't aim for a specific word count, but I seldom write less than 1500 words a day.