Writer's Writing Thread, or, Writers Writing about Writing

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by The Reverend, Dec 13, 2011.

1. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

I couldn't tell you. I'm actually in a similar situation, trying to sell a comic strip I've been working on for quite a long time. I'd start with Google. I know that my roommate used to hang around on a forum that was full of comic book writers and artists, I'm sure they'd have something to say about pitching ideas. I'll try to get the name of it for you. Good for a lurk, if nothing else.

2. The Uncreator

The Uncreator Control The Sun

3. Guitarman700

Guitarman700 SS.org Regular

I have, but ask me when I'm not running on empty. Or ask Griebel, he'd know more than me. I mostly edit and proofread, as well as a couple of ghostwriting jobs. My own fiction isn't my focus.

4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I ended up finding some stuff on Google and read WAY more articles about writing/fiction than I expected to :lol: Still on the hunt for more stuff about pitching (novels/comics/stories you sickos :squint:) so I'll have to keep looking. It's kind of a secret skill that authors apparently seem to horde for themselves.

5. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

Totally just saw this post, and the funny part is, a lot of my friends call me Griebster :lol::lol:

I don't know how to get notifications from threads, so sorry for not helping out sooner (or trying to).

As far as getting out there, pitching is the hardest part. It would be nice if you could just send out a manuscript and wait for a response, but it doesn't work that way.

I suggest working on writing a query letter, first, as they will be your gateway. I fucking hate writing them--they are impersonal, bland and completely out of my element, as I have very, very pronounced style--but they are a staple at most every publisher.

The best thing you can do is read a bajillion query letters and attempt to emulate them. There is no magic formula. What you want is to capture the essence of your story in a few brief, well-constructed sentences. Very difficult to do, especially as you almost always want to add some character soup.

I'm actually looking into smaller publishing houses for my current manuscript, only because I don't want to deal with query writing. From there I'll just call an agent and have them voice the deal for me, and bim-bam-boom hopefully score representation without having to write a query.

Yes, I hate them that much. You will too, but you've probably more patience than I.

Also, work on your synopsis. Very important. Much easier than a query, not exactly as cutthroat, but can still be a deciding factor. Especially if you put the editors to sleep with it.

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Working with synopsis is something I now have a good chunk of experience in as it the first assignment for any project we started was: logline, premise, synopsis and each time we handed in another assignment for that same story, we had to go back and refine it and chunk out a new one so I think I did 12 synopsis in 3 months? Give or take.

Now that I think about, a query letter sounds like literally what we had to write for our Conceptual Storytelling class just a little more flushed out and with a writer's bio instead of a premise. Maybe it won't be as bad as I thought.

7. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i have been writing for the last 15 years or so. nothing to be published, just for the sake of my own sanity. am i good? not at all. stuff i write keeps changing from own personal projects. i started by writing poems. that slowly evolved into epics. that slowly evolved into plays which i abandoned after 6 acts (i was gonna wrap it up in 8 acts). and now i'm slowly leaning back to poems but from a very different angle.

the stuff i wrote in the middle i've proud of the most. it definetly was the most difficult to write. it also required tons of research from all over. while i'm at it, i'm still hating myself for losing my muse for that play :(

8. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Ugh, I don't think plays are supposed to go past 3 acts :ugh: It's set up in a very specific way that certain parts fit into each act, and some parts can be longer than others but they're still specific stages and it's all still considered 3 acts just really LONG acts.

9. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

3? most Shakespearean plays had 5 acts.

besides, i was never a conformist to stick by rules (thus i SUCK with hikus and sonnets), nor do i like the iambic pentameter, nor rhyme schemes

like i said, i dont write to be published :p

10. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

Three act plays are common now, but originally, most plays were five-act plays. It wasn't until people like Ibsen started experimenting with play lengths that we got four-act and, our main staple now, three-act plays.

Lately I've been writing less. I was doing 2000 words a day, but sometimes the 2000 felt forced (add to that the fact that the heat was really getting to me, and some days I'd be totally miserable forcing out so many words). So I started a new writing regime--a mix between Hemingway's work style and James Scott Bell's advice. I write a non-determined amount, but spend more time constructing my writing than I do pouring out a billion words. It is more relaxed, and I find it easier to flow this way. I've been taking a day off each week, as well, to let my mind rest. It really helps.

11. Blind Theory

Blind Theory SS.org Regular

I didn't realize this thread was here and started another so I'll just post this here. I write my thoughts when I am waiting to feel tired late at night. Here is my most recent:

The popular phrase in culture today is “You only live once.” It is branded across shirts, hats, television screens and anywhere else with room to spare. It, like other popular trends often become, gets annoying to hear someone say with any sense of sincerity behind it. If you must use that phrase, please, I and everyone else in the room beg of you, do it in jest so as not to look like a tool.
    That being said, there has to be some sincerity behind that statement to give it any weight. Obviously we can only live one life. It is biologically impossible to reincarnate into another person the instant you die. That is why Only and One should be emphasized a bit more in my opinion. In the grand scheme of things I have to ask myself why, regardless of how annoying I find it, I can’t dismiss the phrase. On an astronomical level we are not significant by any means. We are the dominant species on a single planet orbiting around a single star in a single galaxy that is one of billions, if not trillions of other galaxies. To say we are important in any way is ignorant and selfish. With all that said you still have stresses in life, complications, tragedies; things important to you.
    So once again, the phrase has to be brought to light. You only live once. Somehow, this is made even more important and urgent with how insignificant we are. You mean to tell me that not only am I one of the most insignificant organisms that could possibly exist…I only get to do this once? Well, with that being the resounding conclusion to the idea it makes a lot of every day struggle seem pointless. That girl you are too afraid to ask out on a date suddenly seems like less of a “thing” to worry about. You look at life changing and don’t know what to make of it or what to do with it. Well, here is a thought, make it what YOU want and do with it what YOU want to do with it. No matter how impossible the odds seem or how ludicrous you sound talking about it don’t let anything discourage you. Just like the phrase says, life is a one shot deal. You don’t want to look back on nothing but missed opportunity and what-ifs.
    As I’m writing his I wish I could follow what I type and do what I say but I fall into the majority on this subject. I can look back and name missed opportunity and I can look back and think about all the what-ifs that I’ve already experienced. My thought pattern is conditioned from years and years of mental abuse from my peers. While everyone was laughing at the jokes I was trying to hide any damage done. If I could go and tell handfuls of people how I felt about them and what they did for my self esteem I sure as shit would. But that is the past and that is why I am writing this. For me writing is a sort of long sought therapy. This is my way of putting my feelings and thoughts out there in visible form and reflecting on them. In a way, this is how I am getting past the problems I feel I have. I’m ready to move on and I’m ready to confess.
    I have always taken “YOLO” to heart without ever realizing it. Never in my life have I had “safe” goals. From the more grounded to the insane, I’ve wanted to do it all. The thing I’ve learned from all of my flip-flopping is that…well, it isn’t just one thing. First, I’ve learned that when you know you want to do something, you shouldn’t let a single person on this planet hold you back, regardless of relation or importance. Secondly, if you dream big and try hard enough the voices that tell you to stop trying get quieter and eventually fade. Life moves on and so should you.
    Reading through this you might feel like you’ve heard it all before and you probably have. I have tried my best to regurgitate everything I’ve ever heard about success and happiness and tried to make this seem like one big mainstream pile of vomit. The reason being is that it is important to understand this for your own personal gain. No one will ever be able to make you wake up and do what you want to do, that is why you need to open your eyes and see what is out there waiting to be found. Go discover, go live and don’t let anyone tell you to do otherwise.

12. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Figured I'd give you guys a lil taste of the ol' MFB style writing. Here's the god awful "icebreaker" e-mail I sent my roommate today and was painful to write.

Pretty impressive huh? I bet you wish you were my roommate don'tcha? I can tell.

13. The Reverend

That is pure excellence. :lol:

I've sent far more embarrassing emails looking for lodging, so I don't think it was too bad.

14. CannibalKiller

CannibalKiller Banned

Anyone mind if I bump this? It's interesting. :fawk:

15. The Reverend

Please do. Given the nature of the thread, it's not always raging with replies anyways. :lol:

16. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I'm in ANOTHER writing class this semester since apparently I didn't get credit for my "Conceptual Storytelling" class so now I'm in "Writing for Short Animations" so I may be contributing to this again soon enough

17. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

I've actually been writing quite a lot lately, both with a friend of mine (who got me to be more confident in myself and start writing) and by myself.

I write occasional short pieces that are usually based on my own thoughts, feelings and experiences, a tiny (tiny) bit of poetry (but really only when I', in the mood, and even then it's usually rather silly) and I've just started to work on 2 full stories, one by myself and one with my friend.

my only concern is that the stories will end up being cheap copies of my favorite writers (such as Neil Gaiman, which I absolutely love), as I can see the strong similarities within my stories (in my point of view anyway). I guess you could say it'll still be a good writing exercise, but I'd hate writing something that I know will be nothing in the end...

18. The Reverend

Writing fiction is like writing songs: In the beginning, you may feel that your inspirations are a little too transparent, but if you give it enough time and keep working at it, you'll soon find your own voice.

19. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

I guess you're right, I'll keep writing anyway, thanks :)
    Now I just need to decide on a plot and roll with it, as I keep changing my mind about it every few days :lol:

20. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

I somehow haven't managed to check back into this thread since back then, but thanks for the comments, man.