Writer's Writing Thread, or, Writers Writing about Writing

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by The Reverend, Dec 13, 2011.

1. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Come to the conclusion : storyboarding is NOT my forte. I can do it if necessary but man, I hated drawing in the sizes needed for our class. Since we're working on the heroes journey, we had to storyboard stages 1-6 with a minimum of 3 boards per stage, so at least 18 boards were due but I ended up drawing 36 total (12 pages). Shit gets crazy after a while, and I contemplated drawing them full-size with my tablet then shrinking em down to fit and inking over but it would've taken too much time so I dealt with what I had - my hands and a pencil.

I'll be glad when this assignment is over and I can go back to working on my comic book story. Nothing personal against the heroes journey, it's just so formulaic that I feel like anything I would've written would be predictable due to the formula, so that's why I made my project tongue in cheek and the format would've been 3D so that kind of adds to the quirkiness.

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Question for you guys, how long do you wait to do a revision? A set amount of time that you know youll have fresh eyes, or just whenever it feels right?

3. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

About six weeks on a larger work, as little as two on a short story. For work, I jump right in and edit straight off--non-fiction feels different than fiction.

4. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

I'd wait until it became unfamiliar to me again, though if you have a deadline to meet that clearly becomes impossible. Fresh eyes definitely help you see what's wrong with the bigger picture issues like pacing and theme.

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Yeah that's what I was figuring, just wait out until it's familiar vs. a set period of time since I'd probably lose track of it anyways.

I now have part 2 of my Storyboarding assignment to do and it's finishing stages 7-12 of the Hero's Journey, which we'll be tricky since there's a few things I can throw in there since I've always felt the HJ to be a bit predictable since it DOES follow a formula.

I think after this/over the summer I'll start working on some concept art for the comic concept I have since I want to get it on paper and out of the character outline/jumbles of ideas for arcs stage.

6. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

Still struggling with writer's block, save for the one piece I produced a number of months ago. Although I'm at one of those points at which I'm just tired, angry and resentful toward a lot of things. A lot more than I am toward writing. Something has me feeling that it's only a matter of time now.

7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Ended up coming up with either a new character or an entirely new comic that I can flush out and it was totally out of the blue :lol: I've just been sitting here reading comics and I started forming an idea for someone from the cover of "The Manhattan Projects #1" and then I gave him a name which implied an ethnicity and was like "Well shit, that's actually pretty cool."

Funny how things work some times.

8. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Might have just come up with an ending for the aforementioned project that came to me out of the blue, and it's rather cheeky which fits with the style. Not sure if I'll roll with it or not since it'll probably offend dozens of people who read it, but at the same time I'm thinking "Well fuck em, it's just a graphic novel"

9. Guitarman700

Guitarman700 SS.org Regular

I've written 75,000 words in the last six days, so it's safe to say I'm over the hump.
    Feels good.

10. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Yeah, I'd say that's definitely "over the hump"

11. Guitarman700

That's not all on one project, to be fair. About 30k on my novel, and the rest is divided roughly evenly among three short stories I'm working on.

12. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Ugh, I think you totally overshort the "short" part :lol: I think short stories cap in at around 10K words, and that's at MAX, with average being 7-8K. Hell novels are normally like 100-120K I believe, and for the above average but good enough to keep people interested in are around 150-200K or so.

13. Guitarman700

Haha, yeah, probably. The novel is half done now, and I'm getting a bit carried away with this other stuff.

14. The Reverend

Care to lend me some of that inspiration, Colin? :lol:

15. Guitarman700

Sure, come up and here grab some. :cool:

16. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

300 pages in six days kid? Damn. I'm a generally slow writer. I write about 3000 words (fiction) a day, sometimes as little as 1500 (fiction).

17. Guitarman700

This is generally how I work. Periods of slow progress punctuated by bursts of extreme productivity. I wish I could even it out a little more, but it is what it is.

18. MFB

MFB ExBendable

If anyone is interested in screen writing, I'd recommend you check out "Notes from the Script" on Netflix. Talks about working in the industry, the struggles, re-writes, and dealing with getting your stuff actual made/accurately made.

19. The Reverend

Seems really interesting, I'm definitely going to check it out.

20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

:bump:

Finished with a solid B in my Conceptual Storytelling class, and since I've returned home to Boston I've had a handful of people tell me I should go into writing due to the lengthy FB notes I write and the style of writing I have. Writing is something I consider more of a hobby but I'm finding myself writing out more and more concepts and am now designing concept art for one of them in hopes of pitching it sometime this year to be turned into a comic.

Has anyone here besides the Griebster pitched stuff, cause I'm totally unsure of what even goes into that.