Writer's Writing Thread, or, Writers Writing about Writing

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by The Reverend, Dec 13, 2011.

1. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

After saying writing so many times in my head, it's started to devolve into pure nonsense. :lol:

This thread is for those of us who are not only musicians, but writers. I know there's a few of you out there, and I wanted a place where we could share our experiences on writing, getting published, or anything having to do with the process. Post your links to specific works, if you have a blog or something, or to published pieces if you've been published online.

I'll start off with a piece I wrote early this morning:

http://killerpandabear.blogspot.com/2011/12/ride-fucking-bus.html

soliloquy, SenorDingDong, MFB and 2 others like this.
  2. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

I used to be enrolled in a really exclusive writing program a Concordia University. It turns out that I'm one of those stubborn bastards who has art ruined for them if they try to actually study it and are pressured to produce on someone else's terms and timetable. Studying writing did nothing but turn me into a jaded prick about trying to learn or teach what it is to produce art. I dropped out about a year and a half ago, and only recently put a few thoughts to paper. It's just a paragraph and I'm not that happy with it, but hopefully it makes it easier to shake this fucking monkey off of my back.

3. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I'm currently fleshing out an entire comic book storyline and have planned out several different arcs, along with side characters and the extent of everyone's powers, and even meticulous little things like how does his mask stay on during combat if there's no strap? With certain little details I get driven mad and want to make sure I have an answer for just about everything.

4. Guitarman700

Guitarman700 SS.org Regular

Jesse (The OP) Has read some of my stuff. Not my best stuff, mind you, but some of it. Currently working on a short story, and looking for someone to publish my novel. We'll see.
    If anyone wants to read any of my stuff, pm me. Just don't expect anything very good.

5. The Reverend

I LOVE doing that. I have two different storylines completely fleshed out, with all the little details and backstories completed. Nothing will probably end up happening with it, but it's probably my favorite writing to just have fun with.

This is a lie. The Man Of Guitar 700 is a great writer, and an even better world-builder, something that's crucial in writing novels. Hell, just finishing a novel is an achievement in itself!

My writing is all over the place. I write poetry, which generally sucks, but is a good way to get out these recurring images or sentences that I become infatuated with sometimes. I also do a sort of vapid blog post/essay thing where I talk about my stance on certain issues, or just talk about crazy things that happen to me.

I don't really stick to one genre, either. I love stories, and I love telling stories, especially ones that are emotionally deep, and different genres can serve as better vehicles for some stories. There's nothing like the feeling of finishing a story and feeling that it's affected you in some way; that's what I strive for in my more serious work.

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Honestly, it really is interesting to flesh out comic stuff and has actually been helping me with being somewhat more confident in my ability AS a writer since (while it might sound egotistical) I'm looking at it like, "Shit, I did all of THIS? Maybe I'm not all crap, just 99%" A buddy of mine is friends with a few people in independent comic companies, so if their artists aren't complete shit as well as the company itself, maybe I'll see if they'll give it a look over and run it.

7. The Reverend

I used to aspire to being a comic book artist until I realized that I really can't draw for shit.

I'd love to be a writer for a comic, though. One of the things I love about comics is the persistence of the world the stories take place in, because you're allowed to go so deep and explore things that you may normally not be able to in sort of 'finite' literature.

You may not need it, but just to throw this out there: an exercise I learned about to build confidence as an artist is to create something, and then move on to a million other things, only to come back to the first thing after you've disassociated yourself with it mentally. Once you lose the intimacy you had with it, it becomes unfamiliar to a certain extent, and you can see that you actually aren't bad at all. :lol:

It may work in reverse, however, so be careful!

8. The Reverend

That paragraph of writing? Gold. I love imagery, and you painted a picture that was eerily close to how I felt when I was suffering from depression. I guess that writing program paid off a bit, yeah? :bowdown:

EDIT: "That paragraph of writing?"...I'm not sure what else people make paragraphs of :lol:

9. The Reverend

Just started on what may be my best creative endeavor yet. I've normally just kept details in my head, but now I'm making an outline of everything: the characters, the plot, the laws and rules of the world, even mythology, and it's coming along excellently. I find myself coming up with new plots or details constantly. I've never been good at creating a world that people would actually care about, but in creating a world first, and letting that influence and direct the story, I feel like I'm doing something greater in scope than I've ever done.

It's like a Bob Ross painting, but with words. Primo!

10. MFB

MFB ExBendable

It's a fantastic feeling isn't it?

11. The Reverend

It is. Things will just pop up, instead of me searching for a way to make the plot better. It certainly lends itself to more organic stories, so far.

12. x360rampagex

x360rampagex SS.org Regular

Emotion:

Human emotion, make us monsters,
    Human impulses, make us inhuman,
    We all are monsters,
    We all are inhuman,
    The thing that makes us human,
    Is the thing that makes us monsters.

Love, love causes us to loss our mind,
    Love causes us to loss our senses.
    Only human,
    A term to comfort our monster,
    To eliviate fear,
    To justify addiction,
    To confort our monster.

Who really is human?
    Or is the thing that makes us a monster,
    what makes us human?
    If so, what is a monster?
    Human?
    Monsters scare us,
    Confuse us,
    But why?
    Is it that they are not human?
    Or is it, that what makes us human,
    is not in them?

Who really is monster?
    One who is not led by emotion,
    One who is not led by impuses?
    If so, I would rather be monster,
    Than human!

13. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Made good on my New Year's resolution and finally put my graphic novel concept into actual words on a page (several in fact) instead of letting them just float around in my head. I like to think there's currently no plot-holes as I've been scrutinizing over little things as well as big things from the start.

If anyone wants to take a gander at it let me know and I'll PM what I have sometime in the next few days since its on my Mac and thats internetless at the moment

14. The Reverend

I actually had a pretty set-back concerning my writing. The HDD on my laptop completely shat itself, in the way that can't be fixed by someone of my limited talent. All of my writing is gone, along with several songs I'd recorded and multiple Guitar Pro tabs for song ideas.

Luckily, my latest story was sent over email, so I was able to download it. It's taking a lot of effort to go back to my story though, as I was so excited with what I had achieved so far.

15. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Damn bro, that sucks balls. I had something similar happen years ago when we accidentally wiped my external HD clean as well as my regular computers to restore it. Lost all my music, old works etc, it was upsetting

16. The Reverend

It's really a horrible feeling. The worst part for me is trying to go back and work on my novel idea without the excitement I'd had initially. I feel like I'm just trying to make up for lost time without that creative burst of energy I had.

Congrats on your New Year's resolution, though. I made a few too many of them this year, including write more! :lol:

17. The Reverend

So I got a domain all my own today for my blog. I'm pretty excited, since it makes me a feel a bit more legit, even if it's still run through Google's Blogger service. I'm not that big into blogging, at least in the really shallow style that's become really popular, but it's a great outlet to share my worldview with. There's some silly stuff, some serious stuff, and almost a record of the time I spent being homeless mid-2011, but it's very honest and real, unlike a lot of what you see on the web these days.

Feedback on any blog posts would be much appreciated.

KILLER PANDA BEAR

18. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I'm currently in week 3 and about to go into week 4 of my Conceptual Storytelling class, and it's definitely helping me think about creating characters and what actually goes into them. Not that I couldn't already create characters since the sheet he gave us was nearly filled out already by the way I laid my character out, but there's a few others things he wants us to describe which is hard when you aren't actually writing the story so you don't know how much to describe of stuff like his morals/values, etc...

Our assignment for this coming Tuesday is creating three tri-dimensional archetype characters with my selection being to write a hero, a mentor and an ally. I can describe them physically and their backstories and stuff, but once we get into morals, temperament, complexes, I just skip it since like I said - where we're not writing a story yet, I'm not sure what they'd be until the situation arises. Anyone have ideas how to get past that?

19. The Reverend

I really enjoy learning about writing. The more I learn, the more I feel I'm able to put into my own work. It's sort of like going into it fully armed, instead of just relying on what I've intuitively gathered throughout my life. I'm only in basic classes now, so I really wonder what the future holds.

I did a cool little story in second-person view. We'd been analyzing some interesting uses of the perspective, and I decided it was exactly what I wanted to do. It's a bit awkward to work with (think Choose Your Own Adventure books, without the choice, for those of you who don't know), but it really allowed me to get in some characterization that I think normally comes off as forced.

20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Second-person view being someone involved in the story but not the main character? I feel like I'd be awful at writing that :lol: