Would you send it back or not?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by progresyvny, Aug 4, 2017.

1. progresyvny

progresyvny SS.org Regular

So guys I bought recently Jackson SLATH-X M 3-7 sw as my first seven stringed guitar but it happens to have not really good paint job around neck. Binding seems like it was a bit badly polished. Also it is not perfectly straight when connecting to neck paint. Under the finger it seems smooth so i guess something happened under the coating.

The question is, is it me and I just got what I've paid for or I got a lemon? Apart from that the guitar plays pretty good. And also from longer distance these flaws are not so easy to perceive with eyes. I've seen ibanez rgdix7mpb which is the same price range and it had even worse paint job and finish.

Help my guys so I can write review on that thing.

pic rel
    http://imgur.com/a/YEXRI
    [​IMG]

2. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I'd take it easy - even guitars in the 2000 bucks range are not 100% perfect. If you're still to worried to close the case, go to shop and check some guitars.

3. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

That line in the clear over the binding looks like it's from filing the fret ends, not a finish defect. If so, i wouldn't worry about it.

Any more pics?

4. progresyvny

sure, here is the worst place and yes it surely is that way because of filing frets in factory. This one is from bottom so it is not really visible. But still I wonder what chances are that if I send it back and get another one it will be better or not really. Still the white paint on the whole rest is flawless.

You can easily see that the last 4 frets are visually fucked up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. progresyvny

Oh and found out that on some yt covers using that guitar you can see similar markings. I guess I should keep it maybe then...[​IMG]

6. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Wouldn't bother me.

7. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Yeah, that's just sloppy work... Pretty much par for the course when you're dealing with sub-1k guitars. It's a little ugly, but it's ultimately not really an issue. I'd personally keep it if it's otherwise a decent guitar.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  8. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

If you actually play this guitar, you will damage it far more than these small problems. There's no way I'd send it back. I've bought new EBMM and they have bigger cosmetic issues than this. If it plays good, then just play the darn thing.

TedEH and VBCheeseGrater like this.
  9. progresyvny

Thank you guys. Found another thing which seems more serious, dent in the fingerboard. Doesn't bother playing tho, and probably can be cheaply polished by luthier, yet it adds to the whole guitar image so I guess would post it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Totally trivial things I would expect to see in the price range of the guitar. Just play the damn thing and don't worry about it so much. This isn't some high end boutique guitar where you might expect absolute perfection.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  11. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I'm with the others here - unless you can go play the replacement and make sure it is better, I would keep this one as the issues are just minor cosmetic issues to be expected at that price point.

12. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

Seems like a good time to work on them fret end and repair skills.

13. progresyvny

I think that at no price range neck should have that kind of issues that are hard to repair smoothly even by luthier. Guitar was from thomann so I went for replacement and it will arrive on wednesday. Your answers still saddened me a bit because buying instruments which have high craft price - sell price ratio with that kind of low quality is a silent allowance for the companies to make shit. I had few guitars like half of that price or lower and they are were all spotless. If the replacement will have serious issues I am gonna be mad.

14. MrHelloGuitar

MrHelloGuitar SS.org Regular

I wouldn't sweat it dude, my x-series isn't perfect either. Different story re: playability, but if all is good in that field then don't worry. I got mine touched up for under 70bucks and it looks pro now.

15. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

If you actually sent the guitar back for that, I think you're just being unreasonable, to be honest. The only thing I'd consider an actual defect here is the dent in the fretboard. Everything else is just a case of the guitar being built to do a job instead of satisfy anal-retentives with a mind for aesthetics over playability. And to then get self righteous and say "silent allowance for the companies to make shit." is just pretentious.

You bought a guitar that retails for 760GBP, in 2017, and you bought it brand new.

Dunno if you've noticed, but most companies now have WAY better specs on their guitars than they did say, 10 years ago. Production costs have gone up due to that, and also because of things like CITES, global economic shifts, workers in Korea demanding better wages, forcing production to move to Indonesia and China, etc.

If you want proof of that, just consider what a "professional workhorse guitar" is these days. What are the guitars that people buy because they sound good, play well, and they won't get too cut up over dinging them on the road as a touring musician?

A few years ago that'd be an LTD 400 Series, or a Jackson RR3 at about this pricepoint. The fanciest feature on those guitars would have been name brand pickups, EMG for the LTD and SD for the Jackson. The LTD would have been Set-Thru and the Jackson would have been Bolt on.

Compare to that, this guitar has neckthrough construction, graphite neck reinforcement, two Seymour Duncan Pickups, 7 strings and an extended scale length. All of those are desirable features that add to the cost of producing the instrument, and Jackson are still selling it for "workhorse" price.

And, having owned a couple of 400 series LTD instruments, I can tell you that even 10 years ago the quality of finishing was essentially the same. The hardware was significantly worse if you didn't manage to get name-brand.

TL;DR - These are insignificant cosmetic issues that don't need to be fixed and don't affect how good the guitar is as a guitar. Getting salty over them like this just makes me think you're a poser and not a musician.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Spicypickles and poopyalligator like this.
  16. poopyalligator

poopyalligator Dr.Poopyalligator

I mean I guess it sucks that it had really minor issues, but i definitely wouldn't send the guitar back. That is just me though. I almost get the feeling that you weren't super stoked on it to begin with and had buyers remorse. Either way I hope you get the guitar you want at the end of the day.

17. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I thought it sounded like you had your mind made up and were just trying to get people to say what you wanted to hear. Why ask opinions if you had no intention of listening to them?

I mean, it's up to you, but you clearly had your mind made up from the start, so why ask?

18. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

If these are the types of things you find to be "serious issues", then expect to be mad when your replacement comes. Also, are you going to get rid of it the first time you ding it?