Would You 10 String?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by ohmanthisiscool, Dec 22, 2017.

1. ohmanthisiscool

ohmanthisiscool SS.org Irregular

I made a little mockup of an Ibanez rg10. My Question is "Would you fvcks with this guitar or no? If so what tunings and features would you prefer. I'm thinking I would do a "standard" 10 string tuning from Ab-high e. and basically capo the third fret and have it B,E,A,D,G,C,F,Bb,D,G. I don't know how well it would work. Id say 28" scale for a straight scale and 30-27 for multiscale/Fanned fret. Just seeing a mockup made me have some ideas that all, hopefully yinz can get some joy out of it! hahaha

RG102.png

2. BetterOffShred

BetterOffShred SS.org Regular

I'm a big fan of ERG's, but for a 9 or 10 string I definitely would want multiscale. You're sacrificing too much playability on one end of the spectrum otherwise. This is just my opinion, but yeah I love Ibanez guitars in general, that would be fun to play.

crg123, Hollowway, Dahl and 2 others like this.
  3. ohmanthisiscool

For me 30" scale is where its at! I have a Bass Vi, the Ibanez SC6 crossover, And Agile 7 and Legator 9 all with 30" scale and I love the way the high end feels. Now granted im not going to have the same feel for a bluesy lick or jazz improv as I would on a Strat or Tele, but for lead and riffs I have no problem, other that keeping the low strings muted. That is by far my biggest pet peeve on anything more than 8 strings, and certain 8's are tough too. Not sure if its the string spacing or the type of bridge but like the Ibanez rg2228, and maybe the RGA I cant remember, are harder for me to keep the low strings muted

4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

8 strings and 28" scale is about as far as I'm willing to go on a guitar. More than that and you get into pretty diminishing returns as you get into low enough range that the speakers can't do the fundamental frequencies properly and the high strings are getting into the plinky range.

Fred the Shred, Hollowway and Zhysick like this.
  5. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

If Ibanez released that with a 30" scale for ~$1K I'd be sold. I would like for Ibanez to offer that so I won't have to go the Agile route.

6. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

At a certain point you might as well just stick some BKPs in a grand piano

Casper777, mpexus, InHiding and 16 others like this.
  7. NickS

NickS Carvinite

^^YES^^!!!! Now the ultimate question is, which BKP for said grand piano? And will BKP do a 236 string Ragnarok????

8. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Gorgeous mockup. I would 10 certainly but probably in thirds tuning.
    The lower a note is, the less important it is to reproduce the fundamental. Most bass cabs cannot reproduce the fundamental for strings lower than E and it is unimportant to, the fundamental has little energy relative to the higher harmonics and it becomes increasingly irrelevant to the ear and to tone. This is why B0 and F#0 strings on a bass sound good despite the fundamental not being reproduced.

Kalium had an Agile 1030 at NAMM once tuned from G# to E and it sounded amazing.

Winspear likes this.
  9. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

10 strings is way to much for me. Unless if I want to make a parody of Jared Dines videos.

crg123, jemfloral and sezna like this.
  10. vildhjarta888

vildhjarta888 SS.org Regular

Shut up and take my money! I would literally buy it

11. naw38

naw38 SS.org Regular

I own a ten string. I love it even though it's a piece of shit Etherial. I had it tuned standard with a low C# and high A, although the scale length was not conducive to that high A; it's currently in the shop getting fixed up, and once it's back I intend to tune it to some kind of compound tuning. I saw the dude from Coma Cluster Void posted in here with a clip, and described his tuning, so I'm intending to give that a go.

Winspear likes this.
  12. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

No, I would not 10-string.

13. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I'm still yet to play an 8 or a 9, let alone a 10! I guess it's dependent on the music you're trying to write. could see some good classical adaptations or some good tapping pieces on a 10 though!

14. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I have 2 10s and a 9. 30” is the bare minimum for tuning lower, and I STILL think it’s not really usable. I’d love to get a 30-34” 10 string. 37” basses have a tough time reproducing the F#0 (as evidenced by my NG2) so it doesn’t surprise me that 30” G#0 doesn’t sound great, either.
    And it’s not that it can’t be done. It’s that I can play F#1 on a 27” 8 string and sound good no matter what. But go to C#0, even at 30”, and it just loses a lot. The string feels different, sounds different, etc.

Ericjutsu and Winspear like this.
  15. ohmanthisiscool

Im glad this thread is as active as it is. Ive been doing a lot of fingerpicking/ faux flamenco/ classical on my 9 and 8 strings and I would like to add a high string and detune the whole thing. Just looks fun to play around with.

16. stratjacket

stratjacket Lost in a loop

I’d love to try one, but wouldn’t buy one. I guess I shouldn’t say that, there’s be a chance I’d like it, but I doubt it. 8 was too low for me.

17. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

The only way I can currently see myself going beyond 8 on a single guitar is with some kind of altered tuning, perhaps a reciprocal tuning for touchstyle. Thing is, I'd probably get a Stick or the like instead if that was my intended purpose. I'm not opposed to having that much range available in guitar form, but splitting it between two instruments seems more suitable for what I do.

18. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

Yes.

ThePhilosopher likes this.
  19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder

Nope, 9 string is barely feasible to me if you're trying to tune lower, let alone a 10 string. I'd be into a long scale/multiscale format like a 32-30" scale for a 9 string though.

20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Not even a little bit. I love 7’s. And 8’s are already “amusing” to me. Like going to a theme park for the day. It’s fun, then after a bit I’m ready to leave.

A 10 would just be way beyond my preference. Get some low-output pickups and lay the thing and play it like a piano.