Would I enjoy the Nazgul?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Blytheryn, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Hey guys,

I'm getting a new guitar soon (Daemoness Chronicler, yadda yadda yadda) that's got a ton of Mahogany on it, with a burl maple cap. Now, the knee-jerk reaction for me when getting any new guitar is to slam a SD Black Winter in it, and call it a day. I'll likely do that this time around, don't fix what ain't broke, right?

But I've been curious about the Nazgul. I don't play anything remotely in the "djent" ballpark, mostly death, thrash and black metal. 99% of the time with plenty of gain. Don't like my tone excessively tight, nor upper middy.

So those of you that have it and dig it, sell me on it!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

nazgul works well in mahogany, it tends to balance out the harshness that it has in swamp ash (it's somewhere in the upper mids iirc, it has this kind of shrill nastiness to it). It chugs well, and definitely works for death metal/tech death type stuff. should be right up your alley, though personally I'd say grab a pegasus and slap in a ceramic mag, it's a poor man's omega and I think it's a way more versatile pickup than the nazgul. Even without the ceramic mag it'll do death metal/tech death (with a good boost/the right amp) but it's a lot more aggressive with the c-mag.

Blytheryn likes this.
  3. Blytheryn

I'll definitely think about the ceramic Pegasus. How would you compare the ceramic pegasus to the stock bridge black winter? Like I said in the OP, versatility is the last of my concerns, if it does br00tz and only br00tz, that's fine with me. :D

4. KnightBrolaire

the c-peg has snarlier mids with a slightly fatter bottom end and doesn't quite track as quickly as the black winter, which is more percussive/has a better chug. The pegasus is also a bit clearer sounding overall. Basically if you like the sound of haunted shores last album you'll like the c-peg.

Blytheryn likes this.
  5. Blytheryn

Thanks! It's definitely not a bad tone!

6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I was in a similar boat as you last year. I was sick of my Duncan Blackouts in my V (all mahogany; ebony fretboard), and was toying with putting a Black Winter set in it (wouldn't have been a mistake -- there is NOTHING that beats the BW bridge for brutality). But for some reason, I didn't want to go quite the same route with that guitar, because I see very little point in having two guitars that sound exactly the same.

I took a gamble and put a Nazgul in the bridge. It's still there, and I obviously know what a Black Winter can do. It is an equally nasty pickup and absolutely WILL do death, thrash, and my personal favorite -- black metal. Having said that -- if you go with a Nazgul, expect to re-EQ your rig a little when switching between it and your BW-equipped guitar.

The Nazgul has a very tight low-end; IMO too tight if you've already got your amp/OD set to "tighten." I pretty much always boost my amp with an OD to get the sound I want; but what I've found is that where I set my OD to cut a little bit of low-end with my Black Winter guitar, I have to increase the bass on the pedal a little bit with the Nazgul. My OD is an MXR M77 which has a generous amount of control over the bass frequencies -- not just a "tone" knob. It's possible that a standard TS-type OD will cut a little too much bass and a Nazgul might always sound just a little too tight for you. The right OD will fix that. It can put out a massive chug if you EQ it right. You've got an EVH 5150 Stealth, correct? The EVH 5150s I've played don't even seem to need a boost to be tight enough, so this may not even be an issue for you. The pickup going straight into a 5150 III should still have enough bass to not be an automatic "djent" tone as long as you're setting your bass to a healthy and *ahem* proper level (#IHateDjentTone).

The Nazgul's mids are definitely present, but I don't find this to be a bad thing. You might find that you run your amp's mids a little lower to compensate. Using a little more bass in EQing is a healthy thing with this pickup, and you'll find that it stays pretty tight even with a heap of bass dialed-in. It doesn't quite have the same massive wallop that the BW bridge pup delivers, but it can approach it. Where I find it really excels is on tremelo-picking of the lower three strings. It makes tremelo-picked lines on those lower strings sound so ungodly nasty it's just...indescribable. And of course, you understand that that's a desired sound.

Finally, the lead tones. They are incredible. A lot of people play leads on the neck pickup, but I primarily use the bridge. On my mixes, which are pretty dense, chaotic black metal fare; I typically use my bridge pups with a healthy amount of pedal-reverb. The Nazgul will slice through even the densest of mixes. I have a 9+ minute song that I haven't released yet which features a solo at the end where I used the Nazgul. That solo brings tears to my eyes; and I wrote the damn thing.:lol: The pickup delivered the goods, in other words. We're talking "Comfortably Numb" levels of lead tone. But I digress, haha.

I'd highly recommend it -- but expect to do some tweaking. Don't give up on it until you've played around with it for awhile. It might not be the best pickup for everyone, but it can be awesome in the right hands. If it doesn't work out for you, you should be able to get most of your money back -- and you already know what to try in the guitar next...:agreed:

Zoobiedood, LeoLmX and Blytheryn like this.
  7. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

Knight, where do you buy good ceramic magnets?

8. KnightBrolaire

i get mine from mojotone since they're the only website I know of that carries magnets for 7/8 strings.

Blytheryn likes this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

in a darker guitar playing black metal/death metal Nazgul works well I imagine.

In my all maple/baswood, it sounds horrendous.

10. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Dude, not caring about versatility and going for Death/thrash/black is a no brainer for the Black Winters. I had Nazgul and they are crushing for those styles, I like the bass response as much as with my Cpigs, but still I think, as Kaim suggests, that nothing can beat the black winter for death/black, especially with a good chunk of mahogany involved. In my opinion, what you go for in tone and considering your axe should rank as follows:

1 Black Winter
    2 Cpig
    3 Nazgul

Blytheryn likes this.
  11. Blytheryn

Thanks guys. Kailm, wow, thanks for taking the time to write that out!

The Stealth stack was actually a direct trade for the Daemoness, so I’m going to rock into a Scarlett 2i2 for the time being. I’m not really playing shows or anything band related atm, so it felt like a more than sensible trade.

12. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Haha -- I've never had a problem with words, especially when I've had a bit to drink.

13. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

You know my fondness for the Nazgul and BW, so I'm sure you know what I'm going to say: get an Obsidian!!
    The real dark horse here is the Alpha though. I've got a real hard on for the idea of an Eclipse with an Alpha/Omega set.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

The Omega is an awesome pickup. As much as I love the BW, the Omega just tears shit up and is more versatile. I think an Omega/BW combo wind would be pretty interesting, though it'd probably be way too middy

15. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

I tried it in the PRS SE Holcomb and loved it. It was inevitable that I was going to mix up which one was the bridge though. Whoops.