World of Warcraft: Legion (6th expansion) announced

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Aug 5, 2015.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

2. Ashahalasin

Ashahalasin SS.org Regular

I doubt it will break WoW, it will however halt it from being the juggernaut it once was.

That being said, the game is 11 years old now, so a lot of people have played it for many years and have left, come back for new content, then unsub again. As long as they still get the initial large buy of the expansion, I don't think the subdrop rate will be too much of an issue.

They do need something to turn the game around and bring people in. I loved the idea of Cataclysm and think it was great, especially the old world redesign, but the lack of end content really was a big draw back. Since then every expansion has seen a lot of hit and miss on concept and end game. They overestimated how much people wanted Pandaren, so that was actually more detrimental than it was helpful (although I like the Pandaren), and WoD's storyline got changed half-way through and in the end has been a bit haphazard and not very good.

Time for a solid expansion.

3. ferret

ferret Not worthy

I wonder if the subscriber drop takes into consideration those that switched to buying time token on the AH. I.e. are they still considered subscribers? Blizzard is still getting their pound of flesh from whoever bought the token.

4. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

I think that the WoW 2 we hear rumors about every year would be massive if it actually happened. At this point, I can't see any actual new players joining in droves. It seems as if it's mostly old subs coming back whenever they release an expansion. The game looks dated and feels dated and is a pretty cliquey game. You've either played for years and know hundreds of people and have super legendary gear or you're a new kid that's just trying to find a guild that will do a dungeon with you every so often. There are in jokes you're not part of, legends of past players, in game events, blah blah. But, despite the sub losses, I still don't feel like the game is going to die anytime soon.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

Tokens are accounted for in the subscription base. I'm pretty sure that they're counting by active accounts.

EDIT:

Youtube Stream

6. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

DEMON HUNTER WHAAAAT

sorry little bit pumped

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

I got goosebumps.

And I ....ing hated Warlords.

:rofl:

8. stevexc

You and about 5 million others ;)

Smart call on Blizz's part. They needed an ex-pac that would get the BC crowd pumped again... so why not revisit BC and give us the class that's been asked for since, well, BC?

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

...Personally, I'm not a fan of the level boost. :ugh:

I'm still unsure if I'l resub, though. As cool as the DH's and Illidan are, I still feel burned from WoD.

EDIT: If it's $50 again, there's a huge chance I won't re-sub.

10. ferret

ferret Not worthy

I've got enough gold that I could buy a few months of time if I want to try it out. Of course, I'd have to pay for the xpac itself... :/

11. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

I've always liked WoW but just can't put enough time into it to stay caught up which is annoying. The original game was great and the expansions have been largely entertaining though hit and miss.

For those calling it "dated" - What MMO that has a reasonable playerbase today is better playing and looking? Everything I've read about gets .... reviews and doesn't look any better, but I don't keep very good tabs on new games so I could have missed a lot.

12. Severance

Severance The Cockhammer

If Sargeras isn't the final boss of this expansion then I feel like Activision is making Blizzard make WoW their RPG CoD.

13. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

I loved WoD at first but knowing I paid 50 bucks for a year of content and only 2 big patches sort of stings. Now that they want to make expansions smaller and succeed each other faster I hope they adjust the price accordingly.

I played WoD for two months in the beginning, came back a month or less ago and I've already done pretty much everything there is to do. The only things I haven't done yet are darkmoon faire and pet battles because I couldn't be buggered... At least coming back in the last 6 months of pandaria I felt like I had something to do.

Also, bummed that they again haven't implemented murlocs as a playable race :lol: them demon hunters tho.

14. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

$50 single player games rarely have even 100 hours of content, why should a WoW expansion have more?

15. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Well, possibly due to paying $15/mo on top of that. :)

That said, although I bought it and raided through T17, I almost walked away from Draenor due to the price hike from $40 to $50, just on personal principal.

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

Because expansions in the past, which all had LOADS more content, were $40.

Hell, $40 would have been too little for all that WoD offered, given how little they supported it. :lol:

Also, there's going to be a Q&A tomorrow, so we might get more details.

17. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I haven't touched this game in years, but I played it religiously from about the time BC launched through slightly after the launch of the Firelands raid in Cataclysm (last day I played was the day my guild killed Ragnaros 2.0, IIRC). If they released a WoW 2 I would be all over it, but every expansion just raising the level cap further makes me not want to touch it again, it seems like such an impossible task to catch up at this point and that prevents me from renewing just to check out new content. Did they just entirely remove leveling from 1-85, or what?! How does anyone start playing the game at this point?

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

Leveling from 1 - 80 is easy mode, with or without heirlooms. Like, it's boringly easy. :lol:

I decided to make a new character starting from scratch before Warlords released. I half-assed it, and I got a character 1 - 90 in a month. I imagine if you put effort into it, you could have done it even less.

It was already easy after everything was nerfed near the end of Burning Crusade, but it was made mind-numbingly easy after the world revamp for Cataclysm.

EDIT: Also, for the pre-Warlords patch, they nerfed Pandaria a good bit, too. Before the patch, I had trouble handling those Mogu elites in the Vale for dailies. After the patch, I was able to solo a bunch at once.

19. stevexc

^
    Plus WoD came with a free level 90 boost and, from what it looks like, Legion is going to do the same with a free level 100 boost.

But yeah, as long as you can keep focused (I can't) it's relatively trivial to burn through 1-90.

20. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Like the others said, mostly because that's what I've been paying for the previous 4 expansions. Why would they now charge the same for less content? They even said they wanted to release expansions shorter after another so that'd mean spending that 40-50 more often as well.