Working out and building strenght in a natural way

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Origins, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Origins

Origins Not banned

I WANT to gain weight
    Muscles is not my priority, ´cause I do sport already.

2. Labrie

Labrie King of the Swing

Well what do you want to gain? fat? I'm not sure if you really know what you're getting into.

A large portion of your body mass is made up by muscle and fat (the rest being water and other tissues that you don't really have control over in terms of adding mass). So your options for gaining weight are either eat healthy and work out and gain muscle, or just eat a lot and get fat. Unless you can drink and hold in a massive amount of water, or find a way to make your bones more dense, I don't know of any other way.

3. Origins

Origins Not banned

I have tried to gain some weight by just eating a lot, but the problem is that my body doesn´t assimilate what I eat, so it´s just a waste of time.
    What I need is an effective way to get some weight. If it means getting it in muscles, then muscles. But contrary to what you might think, my point is not to end up 5 days a week to the gym in order to get bigger muscles and become a bear. I just want to get a bit of weight and stabilize it then. That´s what I´m trying to say.

4. Labrie

Labrie King of the Swing

I'm not sure what else to tell you then. I wasn't giving you tips on how to become a bear, I was trying get my point across that gaining weight with your body type is not an easy thing to do. When it comes down to it, gaining weight is simple math. You have to take in more calories then you use and as you add weight, your calorie intake must also increase to keep that weight you've gained. There are healthy and unhealthy ways to do this like I have already explained. Supplements like weight gainers and protein isolates would be very beneficial in achieving your goal but you're against them. This leaves you with the only option of eating, eating and eating some more. You say you tried eating lots before and it didn't work. I'm going to make a guess that you either didn't eat enough or eat right or simply didn't see any gains in a short amount of time so you figured it wasn't worth it.

There is no magic pill, no easy way about it. It takes hard work and determination.

Sang-Drax likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

You can "fill out" In which you can gain some lean muscle tissue and not be huge. Contrary to what most people think. It is not easy to get huge.

If you are having trouble gaining and need to put on weight. It is a matter of out running your metabolism. ie: calories. Try a dense calorie shake.

6. RationalEntropy

RationalEntropy SS.org Regular

You need to check your basal metabolic rate... there are calculators on the internet. I would also concentrate on eating every 2-3 hours, and on what you eat. In order to gain weight (you want to gain muscle instead of fat) you must have a calorie surplus. I eat something like 270 grams of protein, 450 g carbohydrates and 70-80 g fat per day. I also make sure that the sources are healthy. The fats are primarily from walnuts (high omega 3s), and eggs. The carbohydrates are from oats, brown rice, and waxy maize starch (post and during workout). The protein comes from eggs, egg whites, whey, and various animals. I have zero to four cheat meals per week.

IF you are not gaining from eating, then you are not eating enough. Increase your calories by 500 every week until your weight starts increasing. Also, unless you are new to training, genetically gifted, or using vitamin S you shouldn't expect more than 15 lbs of muscle per year (muscle, not total weight increase).

As for training with no gym... get one dumbell and do unilateral work. If you can afford more... get an olympic weight set and do cleans, deadlifts, front squats, floor presses, bent over rows, etc. Compound and complex movements are the big money movements. There is also TESTOSTERONE MUSCLE | Unapologetic Muscle-Building Elitists, there you will find some good routines, nutrition and motivation. And remember... there are limits for training w/o steroids. I've never used them... and I've been training seriously for three years. I am 192 and about 8% bodyfat (I used to be super fat, and now have loose skin to show that). Now I'm trying to build my strength with the westside barbell club template (not for the faint of heart).

Good luck.

7. Origins

Origins Not banned

Okay guys,
    So after few months of special diet and exercise, I come with some results.
    My goal was to reach 165 lbs.
    I got from 145 to 169,5 lbs, with 4 normal meals a day and exercises 2 to 3 times a week. I never thought I would make it, and i did!
    The beginning was difficult, because I used to eat when I was hungry,
    otherwise my stomac wouldn´t accept any extra food.
    For quite a long period, I had to eat as much everyday or I would start to loose some weight again. But then my body started to really assimilate the food, and since few weeks I have to be careful to not eat to much to not get more :D
    It really feels great to see that I fit in my trousers without a belt. I feel stronger and more comfortable in my body. It´s so great! :)
    So for any of you who is still skeptical about how to gain weight,
    I did, so anyone can! ;)

8. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Good on you, man.