Working out and building strenght in a natural way

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Origins, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Origins

Origins Not banned

Hello guys,
    I´d like to get some weight and build more muscles because I´m really too fine in my opinion (145 pounds for 6,14 feet), due to my ectomorph body type. I have already good muscles but not really any flesh under to look like a healthy young guy.
    I was wondering if any of you have been working out, using only natural products (by that I mean "not taking any powder of any kind") and reasonable amount of exercise (my point is not to look like John Petrucci nowadays :D).
    I´m really searching for an effective training while staying healthy.
    Thanks for your help!

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

This is from another forum I go to but its essentially what you're looking for (getting fit without supplements)

So You Want To Look Better Naked -- 2019 Edition - Saving Progress

To sum it up :

Eat 4 (minimum) - 6 (desired) small/medium meals a day
    Design a work out routine that works for you
    Plan one "Cheat meal day" a week

There's a bunch of other stuff but its in that link. I did that same thing for like 3 and a half weeks and I'm not only stronger but I'm back into L versus XL shirts

3. Origins

Origins Not banned

Thanks for the link!
    What do you mean by "cheat meal day" ?

4. Breakdown

Breakdown SS.org Regular

it means you eat healthy for 6/7 days then say on saturday you eat some chips or other junk food of your choice but not in excess (althought 3/4, 4/5 or 5/6 of your meals still have to be completely healthy)
    at least thats what I think it means

5. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I don't take anything, I just hit the gym and do my best to eat healthy.

I've lost over 60lbs in 12 months, 40 of those lbs give or take since september to now.

Are you saying you're looking to bulk up? There's nothing wrong with taking whey powder to get some extra protein to build up your muslces ;). The first place I'd start is what you're eating.

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Its literally like it sounds. You can have one kind of 'get out of nutrition free' meal. I usually use mine on Saturdays after work when I'm tired (7am - 4pm after working the day before from 4-10:30pm) so I hit up BK or something but still get some protein from chicken ("best" would be grilled chicken sandwich without mayo) but still get taste and what have you

7. Origins

Origins Not banned

Ok!
    Otherwise, what food do you usually buy?
    ´cause the info on the website you gave me are quite incomplete about what is "allowed" and what is not.
    So far I bought celery, tuna, musly, chicken without skin, broccoli, eggs, peas, full rice, white bread, bananas and milk :D

8. Anton

Anton Death Squad

Well If you dont want to take any supplements.
    Than you'll have to eat a lot!!

If you want I can build you a training program and a nutrition program. just post you stats and how many times you can train weekly(in a gym ofcourse) and what's your favorite foods.

I'm 6'1 and when i started training 3 years ago I was 60kgs(which is like 130 pounds) now I'm 210 pounds and almot in the same BF.

9. Uber Mega

Uber Mega Try my fist! Contributor

Is there a reason you don't want to take powder supplements? Whey and carb boosts are invaluable if you're planning on getting serious with weight and muscle gain, they're healthy too.

10. Origins

Origins Not banned

Problem is that I cannot go to the gym, ´cause there is not such thing in here :(
    But I know I can do exercises without to need any equipment.

I don´t want to take such things because it´s just not natural.
    I want only to eat the kind of food that I eat usually, only to change my eating schedules and the composition of my meal.

11. Labrie

Labrie King of the Swing

What do you mean by natural? There's nothing unnatural about whey protein other than the fact you don't see it growing on tree's. Unless you're completely natural yourself and go out and kill an animal every time you want to eat, I don't see why you'd be against them. Remember that protein supplements aren't the same as steroids and other "unnatural" things that pro bodybuilders would use.

Not to sound like a hater but I don't see you making any significant gains without a proper gym and without proper nutrition. I've been in the same boat as you before so I speak from experience. You need to be eating thousands of calories and taking in at least 100 grams of protein per day as well as getting all your other normal requirements. Ideally for muscle gains I'd say eat 1-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day. Have fun affording that with regular groceries.

The other big factor is you have to be mentally prepared to do it. It'll take awhile before you start to notice any significant gains but as soon as you stop you'll lose it twice as fast as you gained it. I found it to be a constant uphill battle. I was going to the gym five days a week, eating an average of 3000 calories a day and massive amounts of protein. It took me roughly 2 years or so of off and on training to gain 25lbs of muscle.

I guess everything depends on what type of gains you're looking to make and I could be making it seem a lot harder than it will be for you. Jason or B Lopez might be able to offer some good advice to you. Again I am only letting you know my experience. Good luck, you're going to need it!

12. Origins

Origins Not banned

Thank you for the advice!
    Well, my goal is to get from 147 to about 165 pounds.
    I don´t plan to get too much muscles and weight, because I know that then I will have to keep eating and doing sport in the same way in order to not loose it. Anyway like I said before, my goal is more to get flesh under my muscles than muscle itself.
    I´m not really convinced by those protein supplements :ugh:
    For now I´m trying a new eating schedule, meaning eating 4 to 5 times a day, trying to get the right amount of calories and proteins.

13. MFB

MFB ExBendable

14. Origins

Origins Not banned

Thanks again for everything!
    It´s my second day with 5 meals and daily exercises, and my body handles it pretty good I think :)
    I thought I was going to start to hate food :D

15. Anton

Anton Death Squad

Dude you live in Finland, you want to tell me there is not gyms in you area?! that sounds kinda weird, Magnus ver Magnusson came from finland and he defiantly worked out in a gym :D :D.

Anyway if there is really now gyms in your area i can build you a program that you wouldn't need to go to a gym...but the results obviously wont be the same.

16. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

buy egg whites, not eggs. also, buy whole wheat bread/multi-grain, not white bread.

don't eat lots of bread, eat more fruits and veggies, red meat, chicken and fish, whole wheat, exercise - you'll be golden.

17. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

He is trying too gain nothing wrong with whole eggs ;)

Also Whey protein is derived from milk. Whey and casein are the proteins found in milk. Creatine is another "powder" it is found in meats just much lower.. etc.. I could go on and on.

There is nothing wrong with basic supps. :agreed:

18. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

What your saying doesnt quite make sense.

How do you plan to go up 20lbs but not gain muscle or weight? :scratch:

19. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Im not sure he realizes that he wants muscle, cause whatever the 'flesh under muscles' is I'm not sure you can gain.

But to be fair, you dont need a gym to gain muscle. I went from 142 to my current 160 on 90% body weight exercises and cardio. No machines except a pullup bar required. And I didnt start using supps till like 2 months ago.

20. Labrie

Labrie King of the Swing

True, a gym isn't needed...but look at your daily regime. I can tell just from your SEAL thread that you're much more disciplined with your diet and workout than the average person. Having access to a gym would definitely be in this guys favour imo.