Working on mastering

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Metalloutd, May 22, 2018.

1. Metalloutd

Metalloutd SS.org Regular

Hi guys! This is my last composition...
    I'm working hard on mastering stuff finding some tweaks on youtube; do you think that I'm on the right way?? Advices are welcome!
    Thanks in advance,

https://soundcloud.com/tiziano-metallo/carlo

NickLAudio, phugoid and Loco like this.
  2. Loco

Loco SS.org Regular

Sound great for me!!!. A lot of feeling in this song, my friend. Congratulations!

Metalloutd likes this.
  3. phugoid

phugoid SS.org Regular

I can't comment on the sound as I'm listening on crappy speakers, but that's really nice writing. I love the way it breathes.

Metalloutd likes this.
  4. Metalloutd

So ... first of all many thanks for your judgements ..
    But to mee honestly It seems that there's something wrong with the EQ .. on the high frequencies, glad if you don't notice that but I don't know :-(
    Also the heavy guitars sometimes seem to disappear or melting

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

To my ears, the guitar sounds do some weird wobbly thing while doing the high-gain tremolo type muting bits. Could be the amp sound, or something from compression maybe? Comes across to me as a wet sounding "wub wub" rather than a guitar "chug".

I have no complaint about the mastering though. Everything is clear, it's loud enough, and I don't head any weird phasing or compressor pumping or anything like that.

Descent likes this.
  6. Metalloutd

Maybe wrong or extreme settings on my external overdrive ..
    I currently use in the Kemper' send / return my misha's overdrive attack

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO the guitar sound goes a bit too far into that gobs of gain and unneeded boosts squishy territory, but that's more a taste question than a mix criticism.

8. Metalloutd

Ok tnk you a lot!

9. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Drums sound weird to me, the kicks especially. Paper thin..Some of the distorted guitars also as TedEH mentioned, especially on heavy rhythm.

10. rezafelayati

rezafelayati self-claimed ERG nerd

I love the clean guitar tone, it sounds great! However, the distorted guitar and the snare somehow sounds a little bit thin. But that's my preference tho. How do you master it btw? What plugin did you use? I am also currently learning to master my own stuff.

Also if you have time, please check out my cover of Monuments' I, The Destroyer:

http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/monuments-i-the-destroyer-instrumental-cover.330161/

Thanks

Metalloutd likes this.
  11. Metalloutd

Hey Bro! Thank you!
    Clean tone is a Roland JC120 with an Axe FX cab and I love it too (also when I put the drive up)!
    Distorted Guitar is an EVH 5150 with Axe FX cab plus Misha Overdrive Attack in Kemper' send/return .. I dn't like it too much but by now it's the best I could get (no post eq/compression, all settings directly in the kemper).
    About mastering stuff, I wathced ForTiorI videos on tube and also Adam Bentely' stuff!
    Plugins -> Metric Halo (great money/quality ratio) and Fabfilter stuff (a little expensive)

About your cover .. I like Monuments! Great playing dude! Love Fractal' tones :)
    By the way I don't like too much reverb on drums (my pref) and I'll cut some low freq.
    However, it seems to me a really well-recorded cover.
    Weel Done!

12. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I'm having a hard time hearing the low distorted guitar around 1:50 or so. I'm not sure I'd call it "muddy" but it's sort of sitting somewhere between intended clarity or droning. I think 3:40ish is supposed to be the same idea.

I agree with the drums sounding a little thin or empty. It sounds like I'm listening to a guy practicing alone in a studio rather than sitting in a mix, but I'm no drum expert.

Composition and the clean sounds are excellent. Levels are good and no random noise fuckery, so I imagine your mastering is pretty solid. Nice job overall.

13. Metalloutd

Yeah! that's a problem ! It's a palmmuting part but I think I have set up the overdrive's tone too high or I think so ....

Maybe I cutted too much low freq? I have to do much compression?

Thank you man, the structure of the song is quite simple but it's in my intentions
    I will work to improve what you have reported !

14. IGC

IGC OCDG

Had a breif listen, the cleaner jazzy stuff sounds good to me, but the heavy guitar sounds a little muffled.