Working at guitar center??

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by broj15, Nov 5, 2017.

1. chipchappy

chipchappy SS.org Regular

Yeah, I hear ya man. That's a shame... certainly sounds like whether you're on the floor or off the floor it's a unnecessarily stressful, tense work environment.

I've only been a customer, so I suppose I can't add much. But I've hung with a few GC people who've said mixed things - some say it's pretty boring and there isn't much to it, others say it sucks ass. But either way...

this is seems to be an answer to the main question the OP had

2. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I don't mind sticking it out for a while, or possibly staying there for an extended amount of time. I like working g retail. I like making sales. I think it's fun and I'm typically pretty good at it (IMO). I love the restaurant stuff, but I miss the social interaction that comes into play with retail.

3. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

*rolls eyes*

I’ve subcontracted mom n’ pop and GC stores. Add me to the hater bandwagon of the experienced hoping to spare you unnecessary grief.

For your sake, I hope working at Guitar Center lives up to the daydreams.

4. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

Oh yea, if you do get the job, don't forget to tell us about your first experience dumpstering a guitar if they task you with such.

LeviathanKiller and broj15 like this.
  5. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I am aware that GC does this. Tbh I'll probably tip off one of my friends when this happens so he can recover it and strip it for parts after the store has closed for the night.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  6. Dredg

It'll generally depend from store to store, but the location I worked at had strict protocol due to dumpster diving. We had a custom shop LP get damaged on the floor; after we documented the damage and deemed it unsellable + manager approval, the store tech stripped it of hardware, guts, and frets. We then took it into the warehouse and snapped the headstock, tore the neck off, deeply gouged the fretboard, then mutilated the neck and body with a hammer and an axe (ops manager kept it in his truck). We then had to take photos of the aftermath to prove to Gibson that we killed the instrument. I don't know about other companies and their protocol, but Gibson required proof of destruction with visible SN.

Probably the most fun I've had on the job too.

7. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I don't understand why they do that in the first place.

8. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

Personally, I would likely be more grumpy over someone attempting to become good friends with me just to get a crack at my employee discounts. :lol: Both scenarios above sound slimy as fuck to me, I'm just not sure which one's slimier.

9. Dredg

Its a form of brand protection. When you walk into a guitar shop and ask to see their custom PRSes/Gibsons/whatever, you instantly know that you're not going to see a price tag below a certain dollar amount, which is precisely the point. Barring extremely rare circumstances, manufacturers would rather destroy a high end instrument to protect the product line's value and justify the sticker price. Retailers are forbidden from selling certain products below specific dollar amounts, and in the case of products like high end Gibsons, are forbidden to display damaged product, because it tarnishes the brand. Donating/giving away damaged/flawed products also devalue the brand and encourages intentional damage/destruction of the product.

So thats why Guitar Center has to destroy top-end Gibsons.

10. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Tbh I would probably enjoy doing that to a lesser Paul as well lol. Never did like them.

11. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

Gotta love capitalism!

12. Womb raider

Womb raider ESP Addict

I had a laugh at this since Gibson displays damaged guitars on their own site.

13. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

I mean, sure, but to be fair, I don't think he was saying to manipulate an employee for that reason alone. You wouldn't be "good friends" in that case.

14. gfactor

gfactor SS.org Regular

Opened this thread hoping to read some nice GC bashing while bored at work. Was not disappointed.

15. Malevolent_Croatian

That's my point though, you can't approach that with expectations and consider it all gravy...if this new friend gives you his discount it's hella cool, but what happens if he doesn't? Do you suddenly have less interest in said friendship?

To that degree, if OP's original mission was to get the discounts, working for a few weeks there and getting them himself while making some cash on the side, is infinitely less slimy than schmoozing up to random guitar salesmen in hopes of getting something like that out of them.

Maybe it's my programmer mind (finally! *sigh*) showing, but if the original desired outcome is a bit of extra cash and a nice discount, working there seems to cut out a lot of unnecessary fluff as opposed to attempting (and remember, not necessarily succeeding!) to get only half of the original desired outcome out of someone else.

16. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

^ We're getting off track here, but I think you're taking the befriend and smoke out thing a little too seriously (and now I am :lol:), and viewing it from a pretty negative perspective. Maybe I should've worded my last post a little better. If you're the type that easily makes friends and doesn't go into any relationship with expectations, it's really not very hard to become buddies with a guy there and have that happen as a cool bonus. You already have stuff in common (music, weed, probably not rolling in money). Obviously going in hoping for discounts and getting butthurt or ditching out when you don't get them is a dick move. If you're not that friendly, I think just buying used is even less of a hassle than applying and working at a Guitar Center for cheap gear. :lol:

17. Malevolent_Croatian

I hear ya on all that man, and you're right, it was viewing it from a bit of a negative perspective. I'm not saying making friends with people in retail is some kind of universal faux-pas. Hell, I get free coffee at my local starbucks all the time, I ain't complaining. Even that's not a real comparison though because how many times does one need to go to a guitar store anyway lol?

Essentially, the original snag for me was that OP has a list of expectations and is willing to do something for it, and the alternative offered was more of a chance-based option that should come from a more genuine place than mere acquirement of material goods. All that said, you're right, at this point...definitely off track haha. :sharpie:

Smoked Porter likes this.
  18. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Interesting.

19. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

The only reason I would have worked at guitar center when I was younger would have been to meet more local musicians. Currently, we have the internet (wasn't that huge in early 2000s) and it's just not really needed.

I remember posting on Harmony Central haha, but that's a far cry to the more specific sites you could use currently.

Side note: I heard GC was going bankrupt soon, did they change that?

20. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Aren't they about a billion dollars in debt or so?