Wonder Woman movie

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by wankerness, Jul 23, 2016.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

OK, this actually looks really good, unlike the rather haphazard and often ugly Justice League footage which visually looks identical to BvS.

I'm trying to keep expectations low after MoS had one of the best trailers I've ever seen, but c'mon. Actual bright colors! The aesthetic resembles Captain America 1 as much as the Snyderverse! And...

[​IMG]

HYPED!!!!!

This should hopefully undo all the damage done by the previous two films. And as bad as it is (it's not really a trailer, so it has an excuse), the Justice League footage has actual jokes in it, so that's a big step up from BvS already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gglkYMGRYlE

2. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

This was a good trailer. I especially liked how they featured her plane in all of the shots.

3. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Red Handed Riff Raff

Waka waka waka!

My response has more to do with being jaded with superheroes in general, but it looks like a feminized Captain America directed by the Wachowskis. That is to say, not half bad, just not doing anything for me.

Same with the "Whedonized" Justice League. I get it, they overshot the mark with BvS, but this just feels like it's all being diluted a bit much.

Chances are if I watch them I'll enjoy them, and nothing but love for those who are stoked. If you don't like my opinion feel free to dismiss me as "one of those guys who thinks Nolan's trilogy was the pinnacle". :)

4. wankerness

Justice League has splintered those weird comic label fanboys into two factions - "NOW DC SUCKS AS BAD AS MARVEL" and "DC'S JOKES ARE FUNNIER THAN MARVEL'S. THEY'RE MORE NATURAL." I will never understand people who try to turn comic book movies into sports teams. :D

5. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Red Handed Riff Raff

True that. I think I actually preferred DC overall until the Favreau/Downey Iron Man came along (and of course it's been a mixed bag since), we'll see what DC & Warner can pull off.

EDIT: And really, it's about the studios. DC has a darker tone than Marvel in general, always has as far as I'm concerned. I don't think the studio was totally wrong with their approach with Man of Steel and BvS, they just didn't stand a chance in the environment Marvel/Disney has set up.

6. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

It's unproductive, too. Fanboys are going to fanboy but there's been a little too much of a "rooting against" attitude and schadenfreude going around. Obviously, comic book movies are a bull market, but I think eventually it will be noticeable that for every tent-pole movie that bombs the chances of a smaller or riskier project being made will be diminished. Heck, I'm sure by now many a pitch has been already been felled by a "gee, if having Batman and Superman in a movie together couldn't make money..."

7. wankerness

I dunno, it might have been the opposite, with "Hey, Deadpool made more money than BvS and cost 1/5 as much, maybe we should do more of those!"

8. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Am i the only one who remember the animated movie released a couple of years ago?

9. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Nope, I own it and it's better than any live action version will probably ever be. Those DC cartoons are always so good I always wonder why they don't get the folks behind those to adapt their live action stuff. I'll trade Snyder and Nolan for Bruce Timm and Paul Dini any day!

10. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I always think that every time I watch them.

Just use the comic movie as your storyboard. Give me exactly the same but with people and Im happy

11. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

hopefully studio execs don't start confusing humor with character. The Flash is supposed to be funny, but i don't think forcing a character into throwing out one liners will help with bad scripting

12. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Wally West/Bart Allen Flash is, yes. Barry Allen/Jay Garrick Flash? Not so much.

13. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I'm completely ambivalent on both Wonder Woman and any DC movies that aren't either Superman 1 or 2 or the Nolan Batman movies. However, I will admit that the Wonder Woman trailer has something that DC movies really seem to have forgotten about lately:

COLOUR.

14. wankerness

Yeah, it's pretty. BvS is weird in how incredibly ugly it is for the vast majority, but then the climax does have a lot of super-bright colors and craziness. Possibly not coincidentally, it's the only part I really enjoyed, besides the opening with Bruce Wayne experiencing the destruction from MoS at ground level. I just don't get why they have to suck all the life out of the majority of the movie. Does anyone LIKE that color-drained look? It's terrible. My guess is most people just aren't bothered by it, but almost no one actually WANTS it. I can't imagine if the film had been released with regular colors that anyone would have complained.

Justice League looks like more of the same, visually. Flash looked cool at least.

15. awake69

awake69 SS.org Regular

Personally, I think the DC animated movies have been excellent overall. This new Wonder Woman film looks good, but the animated feature was excellent. Now, with "Justice League Dark" coming in the fall, I'm more convinced that DC has a better home in animation than in feature film.

Marvel, on the other hand, is only NOW getting to the stuff I've waited my whole life to see. Doctor Strange I've wanted to see since I was ten. Same goes for the more cosmic stuff like Guardians. Now, give me Namor and Silver Surfer (a GOOD one) and I'll die happy.

16. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

this is going to sound not that much weird but way too overthinking but....

it surprise me that the Feminist legions of the world havent jump into it yet

Wonder Woman, the all "girl power" superhero, basically the only girl out there in that universe, defending everything that its great about women!!!!!...... cue trailer for her movie...... first scene.... guy on the beach with her helping.... "Are you a man???? :D :D :D :D !!!!!!!!! omg omg omg!!!! " (which happens to be her lover in the movie and the reason she goes away from the island)

LOL

17. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

18. wankerness

I always thought it had a good chance to be vastly better than the last DC movies, but it sounds like it's really good, like much better than I could have hoped. I'm frequently seeing comparisons to the 78 Superman movie in terms of being earnest, optimistic, and having a heroine who's not all MORALLY CONFLICTED and DARK and GRAY like the last iteration of Superman so unfortunately was (as well as...practically every superhero out there!!!). I'm REALLY looking forward to it, as the really corny scenes in the Captain America movies are what make him my favorite of those Marvel guys. Like, that grenade scene in the first one? THAT'S the kind of thing that gets me going!! A lot of reviews say the big centerpiece WWI battle scene is really emotionally overwhelming (largely due to the heroism on display, I guess???), and I'm sure it will work like gangbusters on me.

Most reviews talk about how charismatic and likable Gal Gadot is, too, which was my primary concern since she's just kind of an empty model-as-actress in the F&F movies. After seeing that Conan training skit last week I decided that I love her and that she has the perfect look/temperament to be a really inspiring character, and good to hear she apparently pulled it off.

SO YEAH, WONDER WOMAN F YEAH

(I LOVE how weird the cello part of this theme is and kind of hope it's used in this one, even though the ridiculous Hans Zimmer sections make it too Snydery and try-hard tough)

It's too bad this is probably all going to get shat on by Justice League, but hey. I've heard this is one of the super rare superhero flicks that tells a complete story with a real ending. Maybe they'll let Patty Jenkins do a #2 that again ignores the GRIMDARK universe.

My greatest hope is that this actually kills at the box office and is allowed to appeal to all audiences instead of getting co-opted by idiots trying to make a political statement and getting killed, like Ghostbusters (though that one was not good). If this manages to make more money than the total garbage that was Suicide Squad I will be overjoyed.

19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Am I the only one that actually likes grimdark anti-heroes? Lobo or Red Hood needs a bloody movie already. We already know that DC has more balls than marvel when comes to making an r-rated superhero movie (constantine came out like 10 years ago ffs). I'd love it if they could bring Constantine back to the big screen.. I also actually liked Affleck's dark knight returns esque batman (that's one of my favorite batman comics).
    I really do hope that Wonder Woman is good, the trailer was excellent, and based off my past experiences, if they can put a good trailer together then the film is generally pretty good.
    But yeah that theme sounds doooope. Reminds me of 300 in the beginning.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  20. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I personally don't understand being a fan of just one (DC/Marvel). I mean I get that there's some competitiveness between the two, and maybe it's because I've enjoyed all the movies each has put out in the last few years (with the exception of Iron Man 3 and Thor 2) but since these two have been releasing movies, I've been having the time of my life. Yes I enjoyed Suicide Squad, BvS, pretty sure I'll enjoy WW and JL.