wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by CONNORPUTREFY, Dec 19, 2011.

1. CONNORPUTREFY

CONNORPUTREFY SS.org Regular

Howdy
    i have got some new barekncukle painkillers and whilst i had alot of problems wiring them to the regular ibby switch , i thought i would buy a super switch. Now i wired the pickups to switch as per diagram on bkp site, to which everything was upside down, 1st position - neck,5-bridge. so i literally reversed the wires and everything is cool except my config works like this
    1st - bridge
    2nd - split
    3rd- both pickups
    4th - neck slug
    5th - neck slug

i cant seem to get full hum cancelling in the neck. can anyone help me out as i have no experience with super switches etc.
    any help appreciated
    cheers
    connor

2. CONNORPUTREFY

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres a few pics, any help appreciated.

3. teabagger

teabagger SS.org Regular

Pictures are hard to judge, but it does not look like the your shielded wire is grounded. That can add noise, also try to use a non hot color for ground wire in the future(not that it adds noise just makes its a pain to follow).

4. CONNORPUTREFY

Thanks for gettin back mate, apologies for the picture quality. Shielded wire is not grounded? What u mean? Both blacks and grounds are soldered to the back of volume. Surely is neck is only working on single coil surely it's a case of i have wire to 1 wrong lug, no?
    All help appreciated!
    Cheers

5. CONNORPUTREFY

All red wires are just adjoining wires to the pots and then to switch. Would it help if I described what's on the switch lugs?

6. CONNORPUTREFY

7. CONNORPUTREFY

Can anyone help me please? Proper pickled over it!Cheers

8. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

I haven't even looked over your wiring, but I will say, your soldering is freaking awful, and cold, it could easily be the problem on its own.

You do not heat the solder, you heat the joint until solder melts on the joint. Never melt solder on the iron.

You wrote both neck connections as neck slug, any split coil on a humbucker is not going to be hum cancelling.

9. CONNORPUTREFY

Thanks for the reply. Firstly not my soldering on this occasion as ugly as it may seem this is not the problem. All solder joints are fine with absolutely no noise. The problem is I'm trying to get the full neck pick up working and the question being asked is what have I done wrong that I haven't done in the wiring. Can ya help. And yes I do know single slugs are not hum cancelling but this is no what I am trying to achieve. Thanks

10. CONNORPUTREFY

can anyone offer a heads up.
    all help appreciated
    cheers

11. CONNORPUTREFY

160 plus views and no one can help me. Seriously ?!

12. Animus

Animus SS.org Regular

I concur. I would first look at the soldering. It's hard to tell anything it looks so sloppy and could be jumping. I've never seen anything like what's on the back of that soldered pot ground. :)

13. CONNORPUTREFY

Ok so let's pretend that the solder would not stick to the back of the pot and I know that the connections are fine having had them checked by a higher source. What would be a sure fire way of obtaining full hum bucket capacity oa super switch. EverY Option works except for full neck. Tim @ bkp says that the lugs at end may not be grounded right, that any toy about with the neck red wire as the others are fine. Does any one know what lugs correspond to and could perhaps enlighten me on the ways of the super switch. Thanks
    Connor

14. Animus

Animus SS.org Regular

Next time try taking some 100 grit sand paper to the back of the pot to roughen it up so the solder will take. No experience with a super switch but surely there must be schematics of it somewhere. Maybe also put a digital multimeter on it.

15. JStraitiff

JStraitiff Melodic Mamma Jamma

I wont even look at the wiring on this. My first instinct is that it is a bad solder connection. I can tell because you have about half the spool on the back of that pot AND its cold soldered. So if thats any prelude to the rest of your wiring job, then i suggest you try again. Remove all the solder, Be sure that there is none jumping between two connections and then try to make sense of the wiring again.

16. CONNORPUTREFY

done , done and done, cheers for all help!

17. uncle_sprinter

uncle_sprinter Funny user title

That's way too much solder on the volume pot o.o

Try twisting all the wires that go to the top of the volume pot before you solder them in.