Wiring Bare Knuckle Blackhawks into an Ibanez (neck polarity issue)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by guitaardvark, Jul 6, 2018.

1. guitaardvark

guitaardvark Drop D because 2005

Hey all, hope I can get some help on here since I'm still a bit green to wiring.

So I wired my BKP Blackhawks into my Ibanez S1520FB using this diagram (https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.u...ez_Style_5_way_Switch_1Vol_1Tone__48abdab.pdf) from the BKP website. When I finished, positions 1 and 5 (full humbucker mode) worked as they should. However, position 2 sounded exactly like position 1, and positions 3 and 4 were only one of the coils from the bridge, which gave me a disgusting shrill tone, like a wah tilted all the way forward. I assumed this is a polarity issue because of the Ibanez switch.

Obviously, the diagram says that the magnets for the neck must be reversed. Some people on forums (https://forum.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/index.php?topic=27345.15) said to switch the black and red wires of the neck, then flip the neck pickup around. I switched the wires but haven't yet flipped the magnet or pickup. Positions 1, 3, 4, and 5 work completely fine. However, position 2 is dead.

My questions are:

How can I fix this?
    Does the Blackhawk need to be reversed due to its different construction/magnet configuration than the rest of the BKP lineup?
    Would I need to swap the magnets around or would rotating the pickup suffice in changing the polarity?

Obviously, my understanding of wiring and electromagnetism is surface-level at best, so I appreciate your patience with what's probably a really dumb question. Thanks in advance and have a great weekend everybody!

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

rotating the pickup doesn't do anything about polarity. the magnet needs to be reversed in relation to the coils.

that being said...why not just get a regular 5 way switch.

I've actually never had a problem with the 2502 and magnets. Can you confirm that the switch in your s is a 2502?

3. guitaardvark

guitaardvark Drop D because 2005

Thank you for the quick reply, and yes it is a 2502. If I truly can't make this work, I'll probably end up replacing the switch but I'd rather see if I can while I have the current config.