Will my rocker 30 compete?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by finsgar, Oct 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. finsgar

finsgar SS.org Regular

I just got a steal on an Orange Rocker 30. Obviously it is 30 watts however I may be moving to guitar in a band I had played bass in and the other guitarist has a Peavey VTM 120w. It's a thrash hardcore band so will my orange be able to compete if I run it through like an orang PPC412?

2. brnedon

brnedon SS.org Regular

You might be alright, I've never played the Rocker 30 though. I used to have an AD30, which is also 30 watts, and it held it owns against a Peavey JSX (120 watt head) that the other guitarist in my band at the time was using. We were both using 4x12 cabs.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've never used that amp, so I'm guessing, but I think it'll be good, as long as you've got a good cab, and don't need to play at ear shattering volumes. I use the little Mark V:25 at jams and shows, next to a Roadster, so it's possible.

The trick is to make sure it's not literally a competition. If everyone plays at reasonable volumes, you're good. If your 120w wielding friend decides to bury everyone with ALL THE VOLUME, then yeah, the smaller amp will lose that competition.

4. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I own the Dual Terror and TH30 currently and they are both surprisingly loud. Most likely sufficient for any situation, especially through a good cabinet. I can barely believe it but I guess they designed great EL84 power sections.

The gain channel on the Dual Terror (with a boost and the amps super crusty breakup which rips through the mix) easily holds its own against my normal Dual Rec jamming volume. I measured and they were both putting out about 118-120 dB.

5. finsgar

finsgar SS.org Regular

Thanks for the quick replies! This helped a lot guys

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Wattage and volume have little in common, your 30 watts is only going to be ~6db quieter than the 120 watt VTM, and that's with both amps maxed out. That 6db is going to be VERY difficult to discern.

What's going to matter more is the frequency ranges you two will be playing in. If your tones are too similar and you're playing the same notes you can run into phase issues that'll make one of you sound quieter or louder.