WHY YOU SHOUTING?!??!??!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by stitch_d, Aug 19, 2011.

1. stitch_d

stitch_d New Member

Hi,

I'm currently using a mesa dual rectifier set up but am looking to change it up a bit. IMO you can't beat rectifier cabs so i will be keeping them.

Anyone had any experiences with Orange rockerverb heads or the evh 5150III heads?

I'm after buying 2 to take out on tour, 1 as main and 1 for a backup. I play custom first act guitars that are tuned either AEADF*B or F*EADF*B with emg pick ups. My rectifier just seems to get a bit lost in the mix and is a tad fuzzy and lacks the clarity i need being tuned low.

I've sat and played both the evh and the rockerverb and they both sound pretty similar but the oranges are quite a bit cheaper which is winning me over at this point. I've only really seen one band using them live for heavy stuff though and thats Bring me the Horizon.Anyone out there know if any other tuned low bands are using em?

The EVH sounds brutal though!

Anyone have any input?

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I don't see how a Rockerverb could sound close to a 5150III :lol:.

Can you rent one of each, run them both through your cab with an A/B box and see which you prefer (after some tweaks)?

3. Lon

Lon drop it like its G#!

I moved from a 6505+ to a Rockerverb 50...

the thing is, with a compressor, tubescreamer, noisegate and maybe a touch of EQ the rockerverb sounds MUCH better than the 6505+ (less fizz, a lot more solidness in the tone, cuts thorugh EVERYTHING, even glass live onstage, smokes all other setups i've ever heard) BUT... without pedals youre hopelessly lost, and ofcourse if you totally dig the 6505 sound, you gotta have the 6505

(i assume the 5150 III is very closely voiced to the 6505+, i can only speak for the 6505+ as i have both amps)

4. stitch_d

stitch_d New Member

cool...i was expecting to use a tubescreamer in front of it anyway and i have a compressor. I run all that infront of a mesa rectifier at the moment as well. I just wanna try to avoid going down the 6505 route as they are quite fizzy and a bit to middley for me. I was really impressed when trying the rockerverb. I put a rectifier, rockerverb and 5150III next to each other and the rockerverb sounded huge and very clear when cranked!

5. Lon

Lon drop it like its G#!

the rockerverb is pretty badass, although you will never get rid of the "rock-not-metal" tone, it will always sound like a rock-sound on steroids than a scooped over-gained metal-tone. this comes down to pure preference in the end, all those are solid and proven amps, but the rockerverb for me combines the smoother feel of the rectifier with the cut-through power of the 6505 and is not as horribly compressed as the engl

6. Lon

Lon drop it like its G#!

appendix:

see it this way, you can force an orange to do the methulz, but you cant force a 6505 to give you the warmth

7. Moolaka

Moolaka SS.org Regular

^ YUP.

For backup I would go with the Orange. I have a dos reques and I share an affinity for the Orange, it's a good alternative but not an obvious comparison.

I should state that I am not a fan of the EVH/Peavey EVH's at all. I almost bought a 5150III and thought better of it, got a Mesa instead and decided to find more low end headroom instead of finding a way to tame the whomph of the EVH mids and cut. Everytime I see a EVH/6505 getting played some shartgargler's cutting my ears off with it, god forbid they turn the fockin furry down.

8. Dvaienat

Dvaienat SS.org Regular

The Orange Rockerverb would be a great idea, though quite a departure from the saturated american tones of Rectos and 5150s. The Orange won't do a 'brutal' tone, it'll do a rock tone with extra gain, a bit like a boosted Marshall. Which is great if it is your thing.

I've never had a problem with Rectifiers sounding loose, though I can guarantee the 5150III will be tighter. Rectos have a great helping of mids, so I can't see them getting lost in the mix either. Perhaps try an EQ and OD pedal with it?

9. Lon

Lon drop it like its G#!

Acutally, if you use the right compressor to emphasize the Sustain of a palm-muted Transient (and play with correct muting technique which combines the right amount of dampening but still allowing the string to ring out for a considerable amount of time) the Orange does the Br00tal Chunky Attack - small compress - CHUNK-Sustain of palm muted chugga-chugga astonishingly well... but its harder to get with an orange than a engl of course, with the orange the tone definatly lies more in the hands of the player than in the amp