Why won't you vote for Obama?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Reverend, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

I would, but unfortunately the two major parties are so polarizing and have such disparate goals (one being largely ineffectual, the other being completely degenerative) that I can not in good conscious vote with my values alone. It's too important to keep the degenerative party out of power until their influence wanes to the point that other parties can be established as legitimate options.

2. SuperMutant

SuperMutant Banned

Just going to leave these here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

As it looks right now, I don't see any other parties than the democrats and republicans running for president for a looooong time. It would be better to hope that a sensible leader would emerge from either party.

We have a similar situation in Sweden, but it's still most definitely worth it to vote for a smaller party, because every party that's above a certain vote percentage gets seats in the government. Or the Riksdag as we call it.

4. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

^SD 2014 eller?:lol:

Yeah, politics is by its very nature polarizing, can't see a change in the current paradigm coming very soon.

5. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

Dagen SD vinner valet går jorden under ;) and I will make it happen.

int'

6. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

Oh, you almsot had me fooled there;)

-Some men just want to watch the world burn...

7. elq

elq (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

8. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

I found this video very, very stupid. The guy in the suit clearly has an agenda; it's obvious that he doesn't like Obama.

Criticise politicians for always defending their every position and then the one time that one doesn't, jump down his neck... fucked up logic.

9. Sang-Drax

Sang-Drax God is dad

Living in Curitiba (Brazil). Originally from Rio.
    I couldn't agree more (with this part at least). The way I see it, there are many who won't vote because they're too lazy to care for it.

10. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

^^^Agreed

If your not going to vote at least make a spectacle out of not doing it. If they don't know why your not voting, they don't have a reason to care about your opinion. Why should they assume anything more than the fact that you're lazy if they are not told otherwise. Same with 3rd party, try and garner support from the community or something instead of just going to the polls and voting 3rd (without making it a big deal) as that is a wasted vote.

I don't think that would make much of a difference though. If you don't vote or vote third party, no matter the reasons or your convictions, you're potentially hurting the party you'd prefer out of the options.

11. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

@Scar Symmetry
    Thanks for reading my post, it kind of got swamped by the deluge of anti-Bush sentiment.

I'm not condoning the content of the video as such, you will have to do your own research, as I have done, on the Ayers, who they were, are, and thequestions of their alledged relationship with Obama. The video was simply on topic and may give clues in how best to further your knowledge of the topic. After all it's a better head start on the topic than thousands of pages of text, right?

It's a complex and significant topic which raises many issues... *tin foil hat = on*

Needless to say, there are many negatives about both candidates, the same can be said for the last British general election.

@Flint757
    3rd party voting caused the formation of a coalition in Britain for the current government, as the public sought to widen debate by empowering the quieter voices in parliament, due to disaffection with the main two parties, who were in power during various wars and times of economic hardship.

However, the less prevalent (3rd *media acceptable* party :eek:) Liberal Democrat party was absorbed into the traditional Tory party (in your terms, Republican, although they are not alike) to form a coalition and have since only appeared in the media as figures of ridicule, who failed the public by losing their identity.

Changing the 2 party system by 3rd party voting, although initially successful, has failed in the UK. Perhaps the media are to blame, or the system itself (with the chancellor of the exchequer, and his relationship with the Bank of England, being the most important figure), who knows?

Perhaps empowering a "3rd party" could be more successful in the US and could widen the political debate. Again, who knows?
    After all there is a much larger and more diverse population in the US, perhaps 3 well represented parties in the house could be beneficial?

It would certainly spread campaign contributions more thinly and trim excess to some extent, provided a 3rd party was taken seriously and perceived as maintaining their integrity by the public.

12. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

I agree with Scar Symmetry about the host/narrator of the video's obvious attempt to guide viewers on the direction of his evident personal agenda. I'd take what he says with a grain of salt.

Still, in the end I believe that whatever he used to believe or whoever he used to be associated with is not as relevant today; what is more relevant is what he is doing now. He could have been a Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Islamist rebel in the past for all I care. My opposition to Obama is based on that his policy decisions for the last 4 years have shown me that he is a right-wing war-monger imperialist free-marketer who associates with people who commit much greater acts of violence than those of Ayers.

Obviously, I think knowing about a candidate's history is important. But in the case of Obama, who has already been in power for almost 4 years. It is more important to evaluate his current policy and how one feels about it.

13. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Well you are correct that after an election (and sometimes during) either party will try and absorb some the 3rd parties policies, but even the 3rd party members will typically convert to one of the 2 main parties at some point (tea party, libertarians). Our candidates aren't apportioned based on votes, we have an all or nothing system. It is rare even in the less important seats that a 3rd party wins much less the big chair. If they did win I guarantee they'd be shut out by the opposition and they wouldn't have the numbers to fight back.

I could see right wing and free marketer (to a degree), but imperialist war monger doesn't seem like an honest representation. Don't get me wrong when it comes to his war policy I'm not pleased, but McCain or Romney are even more so imperialist war mongers. The incident in Libya, Obama and his cabinet are taking the tactful approach, they aren't dropping nukes or declaring war over the incident. Romney has basically declared that he wants to declare war on Iran, Libya and Egypt.

I must say I wasn't pleased that Obama wanted to put Israel back into the party platform and I thought trying to declare god under any platform (freedom of religion anyone) is just gross. My main point is I'm not pleased with his policies on the war front, but that statement is a tad exaggeratory. We aren't much in the imperialism business either, but I suppose that is just a matter of interpretation.

14. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

Well, I agree that with republicans in power, foreign policy would not have been any better, I'm sure it would have probably been even more imperialist/war mongering. I can see how some people can see Obama as the lesser evil when compared to republicans. But I still don't feel that I should give Obama a free pass for being the least destructive (IMO). I guess the fact that Obama has move considerably right while I have moved considerably left since 2008, has affected my views on him and how I interpret his policy.

15. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I share similar sentiment. He doesn't deserve a free pass, but voting for someone else or not at all does help the Republican party. It sucks to have to deal with lesser of two evils and it'd be nice for that to change, but in the mean time you kind of have to work with what you got.

I'm pretty far to the left according to a few political sites and Obama was a little closer to my ideals than he is now even from a calculated measure so I completely agree. Honestly, it probably has a lot to do with his war policy as well. That being said all of the good he has done at home will be undone if Romney wins and that is something I cannot willingly allow.

16. coldandhomeless

coldandhomeless SS.org Regular

i went to whitehouse dot gov and downloaded obamas birth cirtificate pdf and opened it with photoshop. when i noticed that it was in 8 layers, i realized that it was CREATED in photoshop. FRAUD! also youtube a little something... obama admits kenya... i rest my case...

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

snopes.com: Barack Obama Birth Certificate

Scroll down mid-way.

18. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

In what ways has Obama gone to the right-wing? Just curious.

19. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

Oh yes, anything on youtube or google is per definition a very compelling source. If I had a penny for every time a wild-eyed crusader passive-aggressively told me to google or youtube something...

It's also interesting how you are prepared to belive the birth certificate is faked, but not your own birther sources. Confirmation bias at its finest.

20. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

EDIT: ^ Pretty sure he's being facetious.

His foreign policy is quite conservative, his stance on national security is frighteningly similar to Bush's (with Guantanamo bay and various patriot act style laws), he's dragged his feet on gay marriage, he's continuing the (failed) war on drugs, he's not touching gun control, and he's fiscally conservative (although this is probably due to the Republicans not letting him increase taxes). This is just the stuff I remember off the top of my head, there's probably more. Interesting to note that this is the guy they think is some left wing radical.